Apple made good changes & the 5 will be my first iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PAC88, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I've been using the same Blackberry since 2009 and think I should give up waiting for Blackberry 10.

I like my phones durable because I take them mountain biking and such. The 4/4s seemed pretty fragile due to the front to back glass that didn't sit flush. Now the 5 seems like a step in the right direction as far as durability is concerned.

I'm just wondering though since it's not specified anywhere, did they use gorilla glass or what?

2. irDigital0l Guest

Yes it is Gorilla Glass with in-cell tech.

3. THEAnonymous macrumors member

4. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gorilla Glass 2, that's now one of the biggest features for me! Don't want to feel like I'm taking care of an egg everyday. ha

Wow, now I have to decide on white or black.. sort of leaning white but I've always wanted a black anodized MB.. even posted about that a long time ago, so this is like the next best thing.

5. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Gorilla glass still scratches and breaks easily. GG 2 is just thinner than GG1 so it will still scratch and break just as easily. How do I know? GS3 kids have been rocking it for months now...

6. leenak macrumors 68020

My first one too. I've been using a regular phone for about a year or so since I gave up my work Blackberry.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

No matter what you call it, GG 1 or 2 or 10 is still glass. It's more durable than common glass.

But unless it's a diamond, it does break, and no one would want to drop or clash their stuff, but shoot happens.

And to be honest, a plastic or polycarbonate phones are no better themselves. When it's cracked, broken, scratched, chipped, it will be ugly .. So you'd want to replace the case instead. Whether it's glass or not.

So I don't understand what's the hate here. iPhone 4 or 4s breaks when dropped hard, just as much as plastic phones out there would. Cracked, or merely scratched, does it make any difference? It's still a physical defect.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Good luck with your first iPhone I am sure you will enjoy it. :)

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've banged my EVO Shift around for almost two years without a scratch (Gorilla Glass). It's even hit the ground a couple times. That being said, I'm making the switch to the iPhone 5 as well. Prior to my current phone I rocked the Palm pre. Still missing webOS, so my first app (once the iPhone5 is jailbroken) will be Cardswitcher :p