Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sorry if it came off that way. I figure you can shut it off for them then turn it on until you get the replacement. Find my iPhone is really just a false security blanket compared to a strong passcode. Most thieves know to remove the sim card or just shut the phone down..

Realistically, stealing an iPhone today is pointless. With all the security enabled, you can’t do anything with find My iPhone enabled and even removing a SIM card automatically prompts you to input your passcode (Assuming it’s protected). A stolen iPhone is basically either ‘Parted out’ or shipped over-sea’s.

Another Pro tip, I always disable control center from the lock screen, so cellular can’t be disabled.

Last edited:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
You do not have to leave it off.
I had my handset replaced a few weeks back - I also had to turn off Find My iPhone while they set up the replacement.
As soon as the replacement had been organised (ie as soon as I put the phone down to Apple) I turned Find my iPhone back on.
I then waited for the replacement to arrive - after which I set it up and logged out/wiped my old handset before sending it back.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
When they request a replacement over the phone, the system verifies that FMiP has been turned off. If it’s not, it wouldn’t let them proceed to the next step.

As for leaving it off? The rep has probably had bad experiences with people turning it on and leaving it on before sending it out, and I’m sure it’s a headache when they get repremanded by their supervisor for not telling people to leave it off.

Either way, if it makes you feel better, you can turn it on and then re wipe and turn it off before you mail it out.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Apple had the same requirement if I sent my XR in for repair, but since I was within my 14 day return window I opted to return and order a new one instead of being without a phone for a week or more. In the case of the 14 day return I was specifically told I did not have to turn off find my phone before sending it in because they would reset the device either way. I still turned it off and wiped the phone of course but apparently I didn't have to

chinanderm

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2014
Iowa
Just turn it back on until it arrives and then turn it off again before you ship it out. I don't see the big deal.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Most people have commented on the theft-deterrent nature of FMI. For me, it's all about the loud noise you can use to locate it around the house.
Wife: "Honey, can you help me find my phone?"
Me: "Again? Sure, give me a sec."
Wife: "Found it! Thank you!"
Rinse and repeat daily, sometimes multiple times per day. :p

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Hello

I’ve worked with Apple. A lot of people forget to turn off their FMIP before sending their phone back even with repeated instruction to turn it off before sending if back because it’s going to cause a problem. Especially with trading in phones, so they made the rule general to turn it off then and there. They follow specific troubleshooting steps when asssiting customers, it’s written there to ask customer to turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.