! Apple magically changed my 2008 2.5Ghz 15" MBP to the revolutionary 2010 i7 17" !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eddyisgreat, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

WITH Anti-Glare!
    [​IMG]
    Add me to the list of lucky lotto winners blessed with bunk machines that self destruct within the 3 year warranty.

replacements:
    logic board
    display
    i/o board
    audio board
    airport card
    2 batteries
    and my display and disk drive were screwing up again on my most recent visit.
    *important* with a few exceptions, each repair was a different "visit" to Apple, so my machine had been in the shop five times with an express trip to the pro genii in texas.

I even got to keep my old Macbook Pro stuff as memento :D

Attached Files:

2. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

I thought that I was lucky to get 8GB of RAM instead of the 4GB I ordered. This definitely tops that.

I am soo buying AC next summer.

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Huzzah! You are one lucky person :) Also I find it strange that the service people didn't take away your old machine. I think they usually will.

4. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Same here: I got the very first 2.4 C2D Unibody for 1800€, it broke 5 times, now apple sent me i5 2.53GHZ for 2k€. Thanks AppleCare

5. magamo macrumors 6502

You're a lucky guy, OP! Let us know how you negotia... Oh, I hope your account suspension will expire soon.

6. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

You are a really lucky person. Enjoy your killer new machine!

7. Eddyisgreat thread starter macrumors 601

Yes. It's a great investment as long as you use it.

That would be strange. They took my machine, but they let me keep my box, documents and power adapter, all of which I would have willingly relinquished.

Another satisfied customer.

I agree, I am lucky and grateful for such an upgrade. Negotiation skills, none. Just a well meaning customer frustrated with their machine. I do urge people to bring in their machines each and every time something goes wrong. If you show up once when your machine is all sorts of screwed up, it'll look like 'one' repair to Apple's system. But like I said, my machine was in the shop five times + having it sent to texas, which is alot of down time.

A slight mix up. All taken care of now :D

8. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

same here.. just got a brand new i5 MBP for a 2007 2.2 MBP :) :)

9. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

awesome to hear apple taking care of customers that actually buy the warranty!
    I am guessing I should buy apple care for my mid 2010 mbp

10. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yep! Happened to me too! G5 2.5DP blew the processors and logic board like 3 times and I got a new loaded Mac Pro. :D This was 3 months after applecare was out too!

11. LisaMaree macrumors member

How did the conversation go? "We see you've had it in 5 times. We'll give you a new computer, how does that sound?" -- like that?

Also, was it a completely free swap? You didn't have to pay anything out of pocket at all? Not tax or a difference of anything?

To be honest, I wouldn't consider this that lucky since you had a ton of trouble with your prior machine. I wouldn't want any of that, even if it meant a new machine but if it had to break 5 times at least it's good on the for giving you a new one.

12. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I agree, it is nice that you received a new machine, but that to me would have been alot of trouble to keep bringing it in for repairs.

13. Eddyisgreat thread starter macrumors 601

Pretty much. I did ask them to consider the option since one of the issues had popped up before so I figured it might do it after the repair too.

100% free.

Ton..eh...
    I mean yes I agree that it was alot of trouble to deal with, but I used my machine pretty constantly and it was always rock solid besides the issues which were typically repaired speedily. Apple could have mimmicked the experience i've had with other manufacturers and repaired the device until the end of the warranty and then washed their hands of the product, but instead the "clock" was reset and, rather than being given a current machine with similar specs to my original, I was given one that was several times better than my previous one with upgrades which balances things out ;)

not too much trouble besides backing up my hard drive. the apple store is relatively close by.

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I had my machine in twice for logicboard and processor swaps. The third time in I was waiting on parts and just wrote an email to Steve Jobs. The next day I get a call from the manager of the Apple store saying they are putting together a new Mac Pro for me. It was awesome. :)

15. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

damn, it sounds like I should have bought the applecare warranty instead of Best Buy... :(

16. molala macrumors 6502a

It's the right/fair thing to do because your Mac shouldn't have had all those problems. As you said, that's a lot of down time. I'm glad Apple gave you the upgrade.

They did the same for me 4 years ago, but it was only a 4th gen iPod (replaced 4 times) and they finally gave me a new 5th gen. This one still works.

17. james90755 macrumors member

Boy, so many chronic problems.... that part isn't good. I will Mercedes Benz was like this.