Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

! Apple magically changed my 2008 2.5Ghz 15" MBP to the revolutionary 2010 i7 17" !

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
WITH Anti-Glare!

Add me to the list of lucky lotto winners blessed with bunk machines that self destruct within the 3 year warranty.

replacements:
logic board
display
i/o board
audio board
airport card
2 batteries
and my display and disk drive were screwing up again on my most recent visit.
*important* with a few exceptions, each repair was a different "visit" to Apple, so my machine had been in the shop five times with an express trip to the pro genii in texas.

I even got to keep my old Macbook Pro stuff as memento :D

Attachments

• photo-2.gif
    photo-2.gif
    579.9 KB · Views: 122

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Huzzah! You are one lucky person :) Also I find it strange that the service people didn't take away your old machine. I think they usually will.

Comment

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Same here: I got the very first 2.4 C2D Unibody for 1800€, it broke 5 times, now apple sent me i5 2.53GHZ for 2k€. Thanks AppleCare

Comment

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
You're a lucky guy, OP! Let us know how you negotia... Oh, I hope your account suspension will expire soon.

Comment

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I am soo buying AC next summer.

Yes. It's a great investment as long as you use it.

Also I find it strange that the service people didn't take away your old machine. I think they usually will.

That would be strange. They took my machine, but they let me keep my box, documents and power adapter, all of which I would have willingly relinquished.

Same here: I got the very first 2.4 C2D Unibody for 1800€, it broke 5 times, now apple sent me i5 2.53GHZ for 2k€. Thanks AppleCare

Another satisfied customer.

You're a lucky guy, OP! Let us know how you negotia...

I agree, I am lucky and grateful for such an upgrade. Negotiation skills, none. Just a well meaning customer frustrated with their machine. I do urge people to bring in their machines each and every time something goes wrong. If you show up once when your machine is all sorts of screwed up, it'll look like 'one' repair to Apple's system. But like I said, my machine was in the shop five times + having it sent to texas, which is alot of down time.

Oh, I hope your account suspension will expire soon.

A slight mix up. All taken care of now :D

Comment

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland
awesome to hear apple taking care of customers that actually buy the warranty!
I am guessing I should buy apple care for my mid 2010 mbp

Comment

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Yep! Happened to me too! G5 2.5DP blew the processors and logic board like 3 times and I got a new loaded Mac Pro. :D This was 3 months after applecare was out too!

Comment

LisaMaree

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
How did the conversation go? "We see you've had it in 5 times. We'll give you a new computer, how does that sound?" -- like that?

Also, was it a completely free swap? You didn't have to pay anything out of pocket at all? Not tax or a difference of anything?

To be honest, I wouldn't consider this that lucky since you had a ton of trouble with your prior machine. I wouldn't want any of that, even if it meant a new machine but if it had to break 5 times at least it's good on the for giving you a new one.

Comment

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
How did the conversation go? "We see you've had it in 5 times. We'll give you a new computer, how does that sound?" -- like that?

Also, was it a completely free swap? You didn't have to pay anything out of pocket at all? Not tax or a difference of anything?

To be honest, I wouldn't consider this that lucky since you had a ton of trouble with your prior machine. I wouldn't want any of that, even if it meant a new machine but if it had to break 5 times at least it's good on the for giving you a new one.

I agree, it is nice that you received a new machine, but that to me would have been alot of trouble to keep bringing it in for repairs.

Comment

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Pretty much. I did ask them to consider the option since one of the issues had popped up before so I figured it might do it after the repair too.

100% free.

Ton..eh...
I mean yes I agree that it was alot of trouble to deal with, but I used my machine pretty constantly and it was always rock solid besides the issues which were typically repaired speedily. Apple could have mimmicked the experience i've had with other manufacturers and repaired the device until the end of the warranty and then washed their hands of the product, but instead the "clock" was reset and, rather than being given a current machine with similar specs to my original, I was given one that was several times better than my previous one with upgrades which balances things out ;)

I agree, it is nice that you received a new machine, but that to me would have been alot of trouble to keep bringing it in for repairs.

not too much trouble besides backing up my hard drive. the apple store is relatively close by.

Comment

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004

I had my machine in twice for logicboard and processor swaps. The third time in I was waiting on parts and just wrote an email to Steve Jobs. The next day I get a call from the manager of the Apple store saying they are putting together a new Mac Pro for me. It was awesome. :)

Comment

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
It's the right/fair thing to do because your Mac shouldn't have had all those problems. As you said, that's a lot of down time. I'm glad Apple gave you the upgrade.

They did the same for me 4 years ago, but it was only a 4th gen iPod (replaced 4 times) and they finally gave me a new 5th gen. This one still works.

Comment

james90755

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Boy, so many chronic problems.... that part isn't good. I will Mercedes Benz was like this.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.