Apple Mail 5.1: Replying to a message in my 'Sent' box, it makes me the recipient

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Rab Simpson, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

Hi folks,

I've always thought this was a kind of odd behaviour, and recently something changed and it started making the person I sent the message to initially the recipient of the new message, which is what I want, but now it's reverted back.

I'm probably best breaking it down:
    • I send a message to someone -
      <rab@domain> ---> <originalrecipient@domain>
    • I realise there was something I forgot to add to the message, so I find it at the top of my 'Sent' box, select it, and hit reply and it gives me this -
      <rab@domain> ---> <rab@domain>
    • Whereas what I'd like it to do is just the same as the first message I sent (which it was doing for a few days at least) -
      <rab@domain> ---> <originalrecipient@domain>
    Can anybody help me get it back to the way I want it? i've looked through the preferences but I can't see anything related to this behaviour.

Cheers,
    Rab

2. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Do a "Reply-All" and then remove your name from the To: header while editing the message. An extra step, but it should work fine.

jas

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since the "Sent" message has your e-mail address as the "From", it should be completely obvious that replying to this message will have your e-mail in the "To" field.

4. Rab Simpson thread starter macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

This is what I'm used to doing, although it's not ideal.

Of course that makes sense, but like I said recently it hasn't been the case and it's actually been working as I wanted it to, as described above. Not only that but the likes of Gmail does this (the way I like it) so while Mail was doing it recently I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.