Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
How can I setup Mail to use Hotmail? What do I use as the incoming + the outgoing mail?

Thanks

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
Mail and hotmail are not compatable, I believe, you would need to use Entourage in OSX or outlook in OS9.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by conceptdev
Mail and hotmail are not compatable, I believe, you would need to use Entourage in OSX or outlook in OS9.
Thats a shame. I use Entourage at the moment to access my Hotmail. However, I wanted to swap over to the Mail Application. Oh well.

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
Thats a shame. I use Entourage at the moment to access my Hotmail. However, I wanted to swap over to the Mail Application. Oh well.

Let me preface this with I love apple. Honestly you are much better of with Entourage, the functionality of it is far superior and its integration with Office as a whole is quite good. I used Mail for a while before Office v. X was released, I will never go back to Mail again.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Who cares about office integration? Does the Office address book integrate with every other application that can use an address book? no. I think mail.app is pretty damn good. The interface is nice and clean. I also prefer to seperate my applications. I don't want to open up entourage to get a postal mail address for someone. Nor when I want to check my calendar.

I applaud apples move to separate out the functions. It makes it easier to fix one app without breaking another one. In entourage, bug killing will be more, shall i say, interesting.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by conceptdev

Let me preface this with I love apple. Honestly you are much better of with Entourage, the functionality of it is far superior and its integration with Office as a whole is quite good. I used Mail for a while before Office v. X was released, I will never go back to Mail again.

I seem to be on the other side of the fence

I use entourage only to check my hotmail account and i find it to be kinda sluggish when compared to Mail. I also don't like the interface. I like how the mail app integrates with everything else on my mac. I personally don't use office to much in my daily job and personal activities, so entourage's office integration is not important to me.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Mail is simple enough to learn and use *very* quickly, yet powerful enough to have completely stopped my spam (no filters or program has EVER done that) and it's Rule making process is so simple that all of my email is filtered, the color changed for certain senders or subjects, specific noises for specific domains, etc.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's not that Mail is incompatable-- it uses the same IMAP and POP3 protocols that the rest of the world use. Microsoft uses a proprietary protocol that only certain mail programs can use, fair or unfair, so blame them for not being compatable with the rest of the world (and forcing you to use Outlook :) )

pnw

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel

But that's not what this thread is about. It's not that Mail is incompatable-- it uses the same IMAP and POP3 protocols that the rest of the world use. Microsoft uses a proprietary protocol that only certain mail programs can use, fair or unfair, so blame them for not being compatable with the rest of the world (and forcing you to use Outlook :) )

pnw

Also I believe due to the security settings even some versions of out look can't be used with hotmail. I MUST have Outlook 5 or later i believe. I remember at one point they upgraded the hotmail security and i couldn't login and tech support emailed me back saying to upgrade to the newes version of outlook....

Also hotmail stopped working in entourage for a while and then worked again when installed the service update.

coincedence.....:rolleyes: nope M$ proprietary technology....

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
OT, but similar question

I have an email account with loadmail.com (similar to hotmail except without all the ads).

Can I access it with Apple's Mail app?

Thanks

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: OT, but similar question

Originally posted by ear2ear
I have an email account with loadmail.com (similar to hotmail except without all the ads).

Thanks

Ah, most free email services do not provide outgoing POP3 or IMAP email services, because they want you to have to visit their website every time you check your mail. I think Excite mail has a pay upgrade that lets you do this, etc etc. It all depends on your email service. Look around your member center (or something like it) for something like "check this account through POP mail" or "access this account from your mail program!" and you'll be able to do it... There will probably be options like "check your POP mail" which are different, that allows you to use the web interface just like a mail program and check *other* IMAP or POP3 accounts through it.

Looking around Loadmail, i may have to open an account there and try it out. Do you like their service?

:)
pnw

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by SilvorX
i cant seem to access my hotmail email on entourage, each time i try, it gives me an error

Have you installed the updates to Office X from MS??? Make sure you do. Then if your still getting an error, come back and post the error message and we'll help you out.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
On a similar note, I wanted to use Mail but then found that I couldn't so I started using outlook express in OS9. Works fine, but it now seems that in IE the "busy" mouse icon has reverted to the old black and white propeller??? I thought when I first started using this machine that it was the new multicolored pinwheel. Minor, I know, but strange none the less. I should mention that OS9 is not running while this is happening. Anyone else experience this???

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I've noticed that, during various builds, Explorer has real confusion with what busy cursor to use, sometimes it's the black and white one with 2 frames, sometimes 4, sometimes color. I don't know what it is now, because i switched to netscape...

you're not alone in noticing this, but i don't have any idea of a fix for you... i think it's so minor that everyone ignores it (if they encounter it)

pnw

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
Re: Re: OT, but similar question

Originally posted by paulwhannel

Looking around Loadmail, i may have to open an account there and try it out. Do you like their service?

pnw

I checked it out and it looks like I won't be able to. Their service is pretty good, overall. The best thing about it is the lack of ads to stare at. Thanks for the info.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Re: Apple Mail + Hotmail?

Originally posted by Falleron
How can I setup Mail to use Hotmail? What do I use as the incoming + the outgoing mail?

Thanks

AMEN to this post... I am so sick of the monopoly that is hotmail... I began using it many years ago, but I am one day very soon going to import any messages I've got there and type in some huge random password (keyboard ballet method)... and copy and paste the new password string into the confirm password box and sing and whistle as I hit the go to hades button...MS OnToRage after the MS Hotmail thing?... I don't think so! My life is my own, and I'm a Switcher from back in the day! :D

:cool:

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by Thirteenva

Have you installed the updates to Office X from MS??? Make sure you do. Then if your still getting an error, come back and post the error message and we'll help you out.
i was going to download the office update but forgot all bout it, i'll try later tonite

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland

Thanks

Maybe this is getting off the point a bi, but i know of a good site http://eng.mail.ru , weather people like russia or not, its a good site with very few ads, good service and POP3 access. Also for us Europeans it can be accessed through WAP (maybe americans too i dont know), well just to let you know.

Note: I found it does work with the mail app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.