Apple Mail - Why are Gmail accounts on top of the account list?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by desertman, Oct 10, 2012.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I have several accounts in Mail, some IMAP and some POP, one of them a Gmail account, all others not Gmail accounts. Because I want to have them listed in a specific way in the "From" popup menu when composing a new email I have them numbered in the "Description" field of the account information. The Gmail account should be the fifth of six accounts.

However, Mail seems to treat Gmail IMAP accounts differently than other IMAP accounts and puts them always on top of the list. See enclosed screen shot. In the same order the accounts appear also in the "From" popup menu when composing a new email.

Is there a specific reason for this preferred treatment? Can I change this and have Mail treat Gmail accounts like other accounts?

Attached Files:

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

In the mail app itself, not the settings, just drag them around to the order you want. I was able to do this on 10.8.2.

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! It does in fact work to change the order of accounts in the unified Inbox, and the order there determines the order in the "From" popup menu.