Apple managed to make their phone look cheaper than Samsung

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinedoc77, Sep 3, 2013.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yes I realize I will get flamed, but honestly I am not trolling. I am an Apple loyalist when it comes to phones, I love my iphone 5, I plan on being first in line for a 5S, and I have purchased an unsubsidized iphone every single year since the 2nd iphone. I say it more out of tough love and a disappointed hope that I would be excited about the 5C.

But man, I'm looking at the 5C and I can't believe how "cheap" it looks, of course I can't tell how it feels just yet. It's not only that you can tell it's a hunk of plastic from 20 feet away, it's just the design ethic. The front is still all black, with a black bezel, that totally dissociates itself from the colored plastic and makes the plastic look like a cheap add on case. The bezel is huge, although I think that's the case with the 5s as well, but seeing how other phone makers are minimizing the bezel it just makes it look so 2008ish. Apple could appeal to both the crowd that wants a bigger screen, and the crowd that doesn't want a bigger phone by simple reducing the bezel just like Samsung did.

So my point is that everyone complains about Android phones, usually Samsung, and how cheap they look because of all the plastic. But Apple has gone and produced something that looks even cheaper than the cheapest Android phone out there. Yes I understand the 5C is meant for the cheapest markets, china, etc, and I know there will be a large price difference between say the 5C and the Galaxy S4. Personally I think the 3g looked MUCH nicer and less cheap than the 5C. If they just toned down the bezel a bit, and matched the front to the plastic surround a bit might have helped.

As specs become less and less relevant, and we run out of "features" to add to phones I think making them more aesthetically pleasing should be the next milestone for phone makers to make everyone upgrade their phones often enough to make them money. Aesthetics is the first thing a consumer encounters about a phone, that first impression which is so important. Even the 5S is falling behind with it's huge bezels, but it still "feels" more premium than most other phones out there.

2. davenport-sr macrumors newbie

Apple could've made a nice looking phone but why when their effort will be undermined anyway.

It's all about money now. Make a phone for -$1 sell it for $499. They'll buy it no matter what. $_$

It doesn't cost Apple ANYTHING to make those phones. You take what's left over from iPhone 5 stock, put it in plastic and wah lah.:apple:

3. jjusmo macrumors regular

You do know you don't have to buy the 5C? Stick with the 5 or go for the 5S. There are a lot of ppl who will go crazy over the colors and cheaper price. The phone is obviously targeted towards younger audience and poorer countries..

4. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

Voilà ;)

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The Samsung Galaxy phones aren't cheap in cost at all. They're considered premium, top-of-the-line phones. Maybe it was Apple's intention to make it look 'cheaper,' in order to convey the message that it will cost less than the competitors, but still have access to the superior app store.

6. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Well, I was just starting a conversation. I don't plan on buying one, although it would be a great alternative to less tech oriented people like my wife who could care less about extra features and specs. But even my wife thought it looked like a toy.

But you are right, I'm in a different demographic and I'm always first in line to buy the most expensive iphone every year. The 5C will probably sell like hotcakes. I just thought that Apple could have made it "look" less cheap with their engineering experience and incredible facilities they have.

----------

Absolutely, I had a Note 2 which was solid as a rock, nothing cheap about it. But... it looked and felt cheap. Not felt cheap as in it was badly put together, no it was solid, just the plastic in the hand felt cheap to the touch and to the eye.

But you bring up a great point, maybe it was a marketing ploy by Apple. But I still think Apple markets itself as synonymous with quality and I'm surprised they didn't market this route with the 5C.

EDIT: The other variable that we don't know is cost. If the phone is $199 off contract then I take back what I said. If it's $299 off contract then it's a harder proposition, I think I would rather have a vanilla 5 than a 5C, I'm sure a used one would not be much more than $299, or a refurb from Apple themselves.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Quality and percieved cost are two very different things. Apple is no stranger to pushing both boundaries in either direction. It very well could be that the 5C looks "cheap" (read: low percieved cost), but is actually a very good phone (read: good quality). There is already a presumption that any apple device will be good quality, so if it appears cheap then it will seem like a great value, which might be what Apple is going for. Good quality + low percieved cost = good value, most bang for buck.

The closest parallel that comes to mind is the original iPad. Before introduction, rumor sites were saying it will be $1000, maybe less, maybe more. They were comparing it to the Macbook; saying it has to be cheaper than the Macbook but at that low cost it's quality must be much worse. Most people's socks were blown off when they heard it was only $500. How could it be so low in cost yet so high in quality? "It must be a great value!" - said everyone.

8. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I have no doubt that as cheap looking as the 5C is, that it will be a high quality phone, solid, well put together, etc. What will be amusing to me will be seeing how the people who disparaged samsung for their plastic phones will feel about the 5C.

I'm starting to see the genius of the 5c though. When you see phone companies making Hello Kitty versions of their phones then you understand that the blocky, plasticky, non matching cheapness of the 5C will most probably be a huge hit and sell like hotcakes.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

uh it is 5C.. duh.

5S will eat any flagship samsung out there. K BAI :rolleyes:

10. cynics macrumors G3

I think the difference is and this is all based on rumors is.

1. The plastic iPhone will be cheaper then the Galaxy line.

2. You have a choice if you don't want a plastic phone but still want an Apple product.

The problem being and many will over look this is the 5C will be old tech which was arguably outdated when it was released (as rumors have it). Aka it better be cheap if you are buying a cheap version of last years tech.

Maybe this is Apples stab at the Nexus line at least as far as price goes? There were a lot of people that switched to the Nexus 4 to try out Android just based on price alone. Now if you are put in a tight spot with say a broken iPhone for example and you prefer not to buy old or used there is still a new iPhone you can get and not switch to the competition.

Dunno just throwing ideas at the wall.

11. davenport-sr macrumors newbie

Retina, Battery life, Screen size.

We already know they're going to do it. It's just a matter of when and how.

12. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

For a 'cheap' phone, I think they're pretty nice. Samsung tend to use really cheap and badly cut plastic with a few internals jammed into them. The 5C looks like it's the same high quality plastic the EarPods are made out of and still machined using Apple's precise and pretentious effort. They'll look great, but also affordable.

13. javisan macrumors regular

I'm not so confident that the price will be that cheap. Remember when we thought the iPad Mini was going to be very cheap as well (approximately $250) in order to gain customers with a budget of $200-$250 ($300 tops) that were purchasing other tablets.

What we got was outdated hardware (internals) and a $329 price tag.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Although I never owned a Galaxy device, by handling a few I never thought of it as cheap plastic. Now that you mention it I'd actually best compare it to the Apple earbuds for an accurate description.

I deal with a lot of plastics from firearms to hiking and camping supplies. I gravitate toward it because of weight vs durability. And I'd describe the Galaxy line (at least the S3 and Note) to feel of premium quality when dealing with plastic. Not good for camping hiking and firearms because it feels brittle and usually is. Things like my Glock in my profile pic "feel" like cheap plastic as its a bit more pliable and overall more durable. Even expensive things like portable water filtration (Katadyne Hiker Pro in this case) that are made of plastic feel cheaper then the plastics used by Samsung.

Just my opinion

15. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Most consumers will not agree with your opinion. Book it.

16. AAPLinc, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

How are we speculating about the "cheapness" of a phone that hasn't been released, that you haven't actually seen, and that you haven't held in your hand?

Sure, there are supposed leaked photos, but who knows if they are fakes or knockoffs. And again, even if the photos are real, you can't judge something by a photo, ever.

One thing that iPhone has always had is supreme build quality. The finished and polished look of an iPhone is unsurpassed.

17. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I agree, I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes. The more I think about it, and look around at what else is selling, the more I realize this is what people like and want.

Oh well, I'll take my old man iphone 5s and be happy, I think I'm just getting old lol. :eek:

18. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The 5C will certainly sell like hot cakes. Teens will love the colors, and parents will love the price. My younger sister has a 4, and she might get the 5C.

I'm not sure if I want to get rid of the 4S but if I do ill get the 5S. I like the idea of a polycarbonate iPhone, but plastic also can get a lot of micro-scratches and possibly crack so that's one downfall. Plus if I upgraded, I'd want the phone with the best internals, and if the 5C is going to have the 5 internals, then I wouldn't want to go that route. MANY will though.

19. Smoother macrumors member

Perhaps it has to do with it being a lot cheaper than Samsung :eek:
    The word cheap has to be put in context, a Samsung phone in the premium market but does not look/feel like a premium phone, looks/feels cheap.

A Samsung phone in the low-end market looking/feeling like a low-end phone, does not look/feel cheap.

20. blerns3 macrumors 6502

Of course. It's a completely financial decision, and I don't blame them for it. Still annoying though, haha

21. emptysoul macrumors regular

It seems that a lot of people see or hear the work "plastic" and just jump to the conclusion that it means cheap.

In reality many modern plastic phones look or feal cheap. I currently have a Lumia 920 which is plastic but to me feels better built than the iPhone 5 (just a shame about the OS).

I have no fear of buying another plastic phone and I'm seriously considering the 5C (if the price and specs fit my requirements).

22. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

To the people saying how cheap it is, or how it's such a bad idea making the lower end phone plastic..... you do realize Apple has done this for years? For example, the iMac / iBook (which even had colors!) / MacBook was marketed as the cheaper, more economical consumer products, made of plastic. However, the PowerMac G5 / Mac Pro / PowerBook / MacBook Pro were marketed towards the professionals as the top-of-the-line products, or consumers looking for premium products, made of metal.

23. zedzded macrumors regular

Using plastic in phones was only cheap when other companies were doing it, now Apple are doing it and can now sell a phone much cheaper, it's innovative... :rolleyes:

24. zedzded macrumors regular

I don't even get why they're doing it. They could have a brushed aluminum back, which would have given a premium look and feel for only a marginal higher cost. It just cheapens the Iphone and it's done at a time when, ironically, other companies such as Sony, HTC, LG are moving away from plastic phones.

25. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

:confused:they should of made the 5c like the iPod touches.The black front looks off.