Apple manufacturing tolerance - iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tulipone, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 that I dropped and the screen completely shattered. Apple swapped it out for a total of $160 but after the phone restored, I noticed that the screen had a yellow hue rather than the blue/white previously. After two further swap outs Apple tell me that the screen is 'within manufacturing tolerance' and there would be no further swaps.

I don't understand how such a difference can be acceptable (to them) and that I have no right to disagree with their decision. I accept that life will not end with a yellow tinge and a yellow tinge is better than a smashed screen but I am disappointed.

Seems if things are difficult for Apple then their standards slip and their famed customer service really does only go so far.

Has anyone been in a similar position and gotten anywhere with their issue?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I think you are SOL.

But Google. There maybe a hack to it. All you need is a "cooler" display profile.

What you see as a blemish, others... there is a discussion somewhere in here comparing the the 4 vs 5 and apparently the 4 had a "cooler" look (more blue) vs 5 a warmer look (more yellow), and the 5 people don't think their phones are faulty. More of a personal preference.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Different LCD panels have different display properties.

Apple makes no guarantee about the display properties other than size/resolution/viewing angles. TBH, they replaced it out of warranty for $160 - and then proceeded to open more phones to see if any of them were better. Not really sure what you want them to do?

4. Tulipone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I think that to change the colour, you need to jail break. I really don't want to do that.

I do understand that the world doesn't end because I'm not keen on the replacement screens colour. I do wonder about a manufacturing process that allows such a significant range of tones as acceptable. I guess that if you bought a product expecting to see white and got yellow you'd be content?