Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you are attempting to navigate with Apple Maps right now, you may be unable to do so, as the service appears to be experiencing downtime.

apple_maps_down-800x369.jpg

"Directions Not Available," the app says, when attempting to search for or navigate to destinations. "Route information is not available at this moment."

The issue appears to be widespread, with many users reporting that Apple Maps is down across the United States, Canada, and other countries. The outage affects all platforms with Apple Maps, including the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and CarPlay.

iPhone, iPad, and Mac users can simply use an alternative such as Google Maps or Waze in the meantime, but CarPlay doesn't currently support third-party mapping apps, something that is changing with iOS 12.

Apple has yet to update its system status page to reflect any issues. We'll update this article if that changes or when the issues are resolved.

Update 8:18 AM: Apple has now acknowledged and is "investigating" ongoing issues with Maps Search and Routing & Navigation, according to its system status page. Apple says "all users are affected."

Update 10:13 AM: Directions appear to now be working in Maps, although Apple has yet to update its status page to confirm the issues have been resolved.

Update 10:28 AM: Apple has updated its status page to note the issues have been resolved as of 10:05 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: PSA: Apple Maps Has Been Down Several Hours, Directions and Search Not Working [Update: Resolved]

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Down. Figures right? Getting ready to leave for home after being away for 5 days. The one feature for Apple CarPlay that’s worth it, maps, and it’s down!

If Apple wasn’t so freaking stupid in not allowing Google Maps or Waze with Carplay I wouldn’t be nearly as annoyed!

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
Not a shock.

I really prefer Apple Maps over Google Maps, now that Google Maps has such a crowded, busy interface.

But here in the S.F. Bay Area, traffic is my number one reason for using a maps app, and Apple’s traffic tracking is significantly inferior to Google’s traffic.

When I open Apple Maps on my iPhone, it can take 10 minutes for traffic to show up at all. The only way to speed it up is to turn off traffic and then turn it back on.

Apple Maps looks prettier to me, but without timely traffic updates, it is useless to me.

All those billions of dollars Apple is sitting on, and spending on god awful TV content. Tim Cook...

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
Tested and down in Ontario, Canada as well. I personally prefer Apple’s map interface and use it a few times a week. It works really well with easy lane-guidance and dynamic traffic routing.

If Apple wasn’t so freaking stupid in not allowing Google Maps or Waze with Carolay I wouldn’t be nearly as annoyed!

Not that it helps now, but support is coming for those services in iOS 12.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Down. Figures right? Getting ready to leave for home after being away for 5 days. The one feature for Apple CarPlay that’s worth it, maps, and it’s down!

If Apple wasn’t so freaking stupid in not allowing Google Maps or Waze with Carplay I wouldn’t be nearly as annoyed!
They are opening Car Play up to Google Maps and Waze with iOS 12

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
While I prefer Google Maps most of the time, Apple Maps does have one rather significant benefit. When I get in my car in the morning, it'll pop up a notification on my watch telling me how long it will take to get to work and which route is quickest - If the highway is backed up, there's an alternate route that'll be faster, but if the highway is fine, the alternate route is a couple of minutes slower. I was really wondering why that didn't come up this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.