Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has gained indoor maps for an additional four international airports and one shopping mall around the world.

apple-maps-indoor-800x398.jpg

The recently enabled airports include Charlotte Douglas International in North Carolina, Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International and Québec City Jean Lesage International in Canada, and Taoyuan International in Taiwan.

When searching for those airports, Apple Maps users can tap "look inside" or simply zoom in to view terminals, boarding gates, security checkpoints, airline check-in desks, baggage claim carousels, information kiosks, restrooms, stores, restaurants, parking garages, and even escalators, elevators, and stairs.

An indoor map is also now available at the Trinity Leeds shopping center in England, according to Apple's iOS feature availability page.

Indoor maps at shopping malls make it easier to find the exact location of stores, restaurants, restrooms, escalators, elevators, and stairs on each floor. The feature enables users to filter stores by categories, such as clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty, food, and drinks, with detailed place cards for each.

When the feature launched with iOS 11, indoor maps were only available in a handful of airports and shopping malls around the world, but Apple has been steadily adding locations over the past year.

The list includes airports and shopping malls in select cities across North America and Europe, including Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, London, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Portland, San Jose, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, and Washington, DC. The full list can be viewed here.

Article Link: Apple Expands Indoor Maps Availability at Airports and Malls

Reactions: jjm3

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Now if only Apple focussed even more on maps for NZ.

I’d love to use Apple Maps but I unfortunately can’t.
Can we all stop pretending that the world is really small already. As much as I hate to say Apple is an American company and will focus on American iPhone owners first. From there I don’t think New Zealand (if that’s what NZ stands for) is a big fish for Apple. For instance I looked at population statistics and New Zealand has .02 the population of US. That’s small fish. China, UK, Spain, etc are bigger targets. But again you’ll prolly see American cities most of the time since the population is big, US is huge, and It’s Apples home turf.

Anywho, I do hope AM comes improves for you. GMaps is meh in UI and has given me about the same error results as AM.

Reactions: NIKKG

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Does this work on the Mac? (10.13.5) I tried looking at CLT on Maps on my Mac, but it didn't show the "show inside" functionality.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Gotta love the notch implementation in that pic.

Yeah, I came to the comments to mention that too... who on earth signed off on this UI being okay? Why is the list on the left so far away from the left edge? Why are the buttons on the right overlapping with the notch?

I think Apple did weirdly shaped screens the right way on the Apple Watch. It's hard to tell where the actual display ends - it looks like it just fills the face of the device because the black background goes seamlessly with the black face around it.

Not so much on the iPhone X.

Reactions: fullauto

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Can we all stop pretending that the world is really small already. As much as I hate to say Apple is an American company and will focus on American iPhone owners first. From there I don’t think New Zealand (if that’s what NZ stands for) is a big fish for Apple. For instance I looked at population statistics and New Zealand has .02 the population of US. That’s small fish. China, UK, Spain, etc are bigger targets. But again you’ll prolly see American cities most of the time since the population is big, US is huge, and It’s Apples home turf.

Anywho, I do hope AM comes improves for you. GMaps is meh in UI and has given me about the same error results as AM.
Replace Apple with Google and you see the irony:

Can we all stop pretending that the world is really small already. As much as I hate to say Google is an American company and will focus on American users first. From there I don’t think New Zealand (if that’s what NZ stands for) is a big fish for Google. For instance I looked at population statistics and New Zealand has .02 the population of US. That’s small fish. China, UK, Spain, etc are bigger targets. But again you’ll prolly see American cities most of the time since the population is big, US is huge, and It’s Googles home turf.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015

You see, there is just one problem.

Your words could be valid but they are not.

While you claim that the world is as it is, Google is also an American company.

And Google has, without overstating, 1000x more rich data than Apple in Poland.

Is the world smaller for Google?
Is Google NOT an American company?
Is Google capable of magic?

If Apple wants to stay in game, they need to invest, but adding Google Maps to the CarPlay seems like an admission of failure.

Apple Maps is a base for many apps, if they neglect them even more outside the America, they won't matter since people in Europe will continue to use Google Maps as a backend for their apps.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
So, when Apple maps a shopping centre (or even an airport I guess), what provision is made to keep the map updated? Most shopping centres in the UK will have several changes in shops over the course of a year, especially at the moment with a lot of big high street names either going out of business or cutting back on their shops. Is there some ongoing interaction between the shopping centre operator and Apple, or is this just the same as other shops and businesses marked on Apple maps where things only get updated when users report errors?

The small town where I live has shops marked that haven't been there in over 10 years - though to Apple's credit they are normally quick to change them when reported.

Reactions: IGI2

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
10 posts in, most are whining about Apple Maps not having anything to do with the subject matter. :cry me a river:

Apple "rents" their base map data from TomTom, have for years. Don't listen to me - compare Apple Maps basemap data to TomTom's here to my attached screen shot...
Pugget Island.png
No other mapping data source on Earth has the same typo error - Pugget Island doesn't exist, Puget Island does. I work in this industry, I've got others, in other countries that I do business in. There are businesses that produce dairy and mechanical products on that Island, my clients have griped that people can't find them because of that typo. Two roads have been closed in that area due to ecological disasters, but TomTom still shows them as viable options even though I've informed them several times via official channels over 4 years (backed by the Corps of Engineers as well); I had to hire a Dutch translator to get one of those errors addressed.

Those errors in Nova Scotia that AI reported on a few weeks ago, also due to base map errors from TeleAtlas. Another screen shot from TomTom's Drive portal:
TomTom Eh.png

My gripe with Apple is that they rent data from TomTom's TeleAtlas, a company that I've worked with for years. They. Don't. Care. Send. Me. A. Check. Then. We'll. Talk. Maybe. is their mantra.

Gripe at Apple for pushing TomTom to get their data straight and/or swap out for MapBox or HERE base maps. Gripe at TomTom to get their data right. I'd offer that MR's members focus their angst constructively. My business pays several thousands of $$$ every year to "rent" GIS data for base map usage, TomTom's data is always pretty much useless, year in, year out.</rant> FWIW, Google's data isn't much better...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Snip....FWIW, Google's data isn't much better...

I like that very last bit, which is very much true but people tend to skip over that part.

Last year I was on a trip from the Netherlands to Luxembourg-Germany and Austria, Google had several mistakes in it's maps while Apple was spot on.

As for the topic, I don't care so much for those indoor Maps, I can find my own way, which-to me- is nicer, you'll bump into places you won't see if you use indoor maps.

Reactions: campyguy

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

What? So my county is smaller than the US so I can’t complain about inadequate services from my favourite tech company?

Then why bother releasing products internationally if they won’t have full support? I’m stuck in a situation right now that Apple Maps sucks, Auckland houses 1/4th of our population and despite that the mapping data they have is ****. On top of that iOS doesn’t allow you to set default apps so I can’t even use Siri with Google Maps. I’m literally getting punished for living in a different country. Whereas with Google Maps there are no such issues and everything works fine.

It’s a whole lot easier for you to spout that nonsense when you’re not directly affected by it and are missing a lot of features. Have some empathy.
[doublepost=1528446764][/doublepost]
I like that very last bit, which is very much true but people tend to skip over that part.

Last year I was on a trip from the Netherlands to Luxembourg-Germany and Austria, Google had several mistakes in it's maps while Apple was spot on.

As for the topic, I don't care so much for those indoor Maps, I can find my own way, which-to me- is nicer, you'll bump into places you won't see if you use indoor maps.
Google Maps data is actually much better where I live, just because you’ve had the opposite experience does NOT make any complaint less valid.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
That screenshot is awful. I guess Apple hasn’t figured out how to program to use the safe area insets (that they invented) yet.
The notch is the worst compromise Apple has ever shipped.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Yeah, I came to the comments to mention that too... who on earth signed off on this UI being okay? Why is the list on the left so far away from the left edge? Why are the buttons on the right overlapping with the notch?

I think Apple did weirdly shaped screens the right way on the Apple Watch. It's hard to tell where the actual display ends - it looks like it just fills the face of the device because the black background goes seamlessly with the black face around it.

Not so much on the iPhone X.

It's not like that on the actual device, this is just photoshopped badly xD
[doublepost=1528447465][/doublepost]
That screenshot is awful. I guess Apple hasn’t figured out how to program to use the safe area insets (that they invented) yet.

It's not like that on the actual device, this is just photoshopped badly xD

Reactions: haruhiko

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
What? So my county is smaller than the US so I can’t complain about inadequate services from my favourite tech company?

Then why bother releasing products internationally if they won’t have full support? I’m stuck in a situation right now that Apple Maps sucks, Auckland houses 1/4th of our population and despite that the mapping data they have is ****. On top of that iOS doesn’t allow you to set default apps so I can’t even use Siri with Google Maps. I’m literally getting punished for living in a different country. Whereas with Google Maps there are no such issues and everything works fine.

It’s a whole lot easier for you to spout that nonsense when you’re not directly affected by it and are missing a lot of features. Have some empathy.
[doublepost=1528446764][/doublepost]
Google Maps data is actually much better where I live, just because you’ve had the opposite experience does NOT make any complaint less valid.

Apple (partly) uses TomTom for it's data, it's a Dutch company, and so is TeleAtlas AFAIK, the Data in Europe is probably much better than other parts of the world, hope eventually AM will improve dramatically in NZ.

OT, been there (cycling for 3 months), beautiful place, I will return there for sure.

skorpeon

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
I WOULD BE SURPRISED TO SEE ANYONE APPRECIATING THAT ))
They should get outdoor maps to work first.

yet the most sold iPhone last quarter, haters will remain haters and see only bad things :)

Gotta love the notch implementation in that pic.
do you ever see good things, or just bad?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Apple (partly) uses TomTom for it's data, it's a Dutch company, and so is TeleAtlas AFAIK, the Data in Europe is probably much better than other parts of the world, hope eventually AM will improve dramatically in NZ.

OT, been there (cycling for 3 months), beautiful place, I will return there for sure.
Yeah. I love New Zealand and was pretty much here my whole life.

I’m glad we don’t deal with US related issues like healthcare but this is getting too offtopic lol

Edit: That TomTom data thing explains a whole lot

Reactions: Sasparilla

MarcoPohlo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2015

This is how it really looks like on X, screenshot is from Schönefeld Airport.

Author probably took screenshot on his iPhone X and put that inside iPhone X marketing frames which resulted in this overlap.

Screenshot_2018-06-08_at_12.54.16.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mw360 and Fradley

MarcoPohlo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2015
I've been really skeptical with Apple Maps, I like their design, but I thought their data sucks. I only thought because everyone kept saying that.

I've tried tons of different navigation apps. From Waze, Google Maps, Sygic, Here to Apple Maps.

I absolutely hate Google Maps, their Application just sucks, the UI, the experience. It's horrible. It's different story on Android of course.

But at least it works. I can't say this about Waze, it constantly freezes. The calculation is not that great either and It just can't calculate longer journeys like Czech Republic -> Croatia (~ 1000 km). The only good thing is police spots, even though I never really saw police on that spots.

So I gave Apple Maps a try. Their navigation is great. Names of streets stand out, everything else is in the background. You see yourself from sort of like Diablo 2 experience. Not the close up Waze-like thing.

Also what is probably the best feature is Lane Assist.

But actual data, for example in Czech Republic. It's lacking, to say the least. It's not nearly as complete as Google Maps (and that is not perfect either). But for roads it's great, it even calculates great alternate roads on the fly.

What I miss is Speed Limit (it only works in US and UK)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I WOULD BE SURPRISED TO SEE ANYONE APPRECIATING THAT ))

yet the most sold iPhone last quarter, haters will remain haters and see only bad things :)

do you ever see good things, or just bad?
I actually like the notch (for the most part), I’m just messing around. I’m currently in threads about planned obsolescence, won’t find me too optimistic in those, as I’m a realist unlike many Apple consumers.

I see plenty of good things. I got very excited last week when I saw dark mode on Mojave. Just look at my excitement level on a pic someone Photoshopped of me: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-10-with-dark-mode-news-app-and-more.2121167/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.