Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Maps app for Mac and iOS with new Flyover locations in number of cities and "Nearby" location listings in Australia, Canada, France, and Germany. Introduced in iOS 9, the Nearby feature displays restaurants and stores that are located close by. When searching in the Maps app, Nearby shows up as a list of categories like Food, Drinks, Shopping, and Fun.

Nearby was previously available in the United States and China, but today expands to Australia, Canada, France, and Germany for a total of six locations of availability.

applemapsnearbysydney-800x450.jpg

Apple has also added several new Flyover locations, highlighting landmarks and features in several countries in Europe, North America, and Asia. The new Flyover locations are listed below:

- Basel, Switzerland
- Bielefeld, Germany
- Gorge Du Verdon, France
- Hawaii (Big Island), US
- Hiroshima, Japan
- Kyoto, Japan
- Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA
- Leon, Spain
- Nagoya, Japan
- Okayama, Japan
- Osaka, Japan
- Porto, Portugal
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Sendai, Japan
- Tulum, Mexico

For those unfamiliar with the Flyover feature in Apple Maps, it lets users take photorealistic 3D tours of select areas, which can be navigated through to display close ups of notable landmarks and points of interest.

Flyover was first introduced alongside iOS 6 in 2012, and over the course of the last few years, Apple has been steadily adding new Flyover locations to the Maps app, with a full list available on its iOS 9 Feature website. As of February, some Flyover locations have also been updated with real-time animated landmarks, making the Flyover experience even more immersive, and many Flyover locations also have an additional City Tour feature that walks users through a series of landmarks in each city.

Article Link: Apple Adds New Flyover Locations, Expands 'Nearby' Feature to Australia, Canada, France and Germany

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I get the feeling that today's announcements aren't over yet. ApplePay for Canada and Australia is rumoured to be coming at the end of October. Today could see that announcement.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I still maintain that this feature looks great for the first 30 seconds you play with and then is completely useless the rest of the time you own an iPhone.

Reactions: Fzang

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
I still maintain that this feature looks great for the first 30 seconds you play with and then is completely useless the rest of the time you own an iPhone.

Agreed, it's almost like they do it because they bought a firm for millions who can do this so now feel they have too, versus it being actually useful.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
I get the feeling that today's announcements aren't over yet. ApplePay for Canada and Australia is rumoured to be coming at the end of October. Today could see that announcement.

There was never a rumour that Apple Pay would be launched in Australia. All signs have pointed to Apple not being able to get an agreement with the banks here for Apple Pay.

Reactions: V.K.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

I use Flyover regularly. It's an excellent way of getting around a city from a bird's eye view and then zooming in for more detail. I much prefer this over StreetView. Some cities (including the one I'm in) have been improving resolution to the point that you can see storefronts from the sky, effectively giving it a StreetView-like functionality.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's strange that the priority in which they add these cities makes no sense. They added Porto in Portugal yet the capital Lisboa is still flat. How do they pick which cities to scan?

Reactions: henrique2

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Same. I looked for "convenience stores" and it missed the five 24-hour delis in my neighborhood and suggested some CVS-type garbage about a mile away. Based on that, I'd trust it to find chain stores, but definitely not the real stuff I'm actually looking for.

macplay

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2012
Apple maps is a still joke and beta from beta. They are years behind schedule.

Flyovers. Its Are really not that use full.

Togeter with Siri is maps not adult software.

Reactions: kyjaotkb

henrique2

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
It's strange that the priority in which they add these cities makes no sense. They added Porto in Portugal yet the capital Lisboa is still flat. How do they pick which cities to scan?
They even added Braga and Coimbra in first place o_O

Reactions: ipedro

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Apple maps is a still joke and beta from beta. They are years behind schedule.

Flyovers. Its Are really not that use full.

Togeter with Siri is maps not adult software.

A "joke" that works much better than Gmaps in my area (Northern Italy), with much better, recent satellite imagery (Google images are ridicolously old, about 10 yrs).

EDIT: added example. Apple Maps: Calatrava bridge up and running, Gmaps, bridge under construction (not even raised yet). Years and years. And this is a very popolous, developed part of Italy.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9,926
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9,543
Last edited:

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
A "joke" that works much better than Gmaps in my area (Northern Italy), with much better, recent satellite imagery (Google images are ridicolously old, about 10 yrs).

EDIT: added example. Apple Maps: Calatrava bridge up and running, Gmaps, bridge under construction (not even raised yet). Years and years. And this is a very popolous, developed part of Italy.

Don't rain on his parade :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gotta agree. It's fun but serves no useful purpose, unlike Streetview which is (IRL) where I spend most of my time in these places and not flying over.

Now, if only Apple Apps would stop trying to send me down private roads that would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.