Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has recently been updated with indoor maps of five airports across Canada, Finland, and the United States.

apple-maps-indoor-airports-800x627.jpg

The new additions:
Logan International Airport in Boston
Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
Dallas Love Field Airport
Halifax Stanfield International Airport
Helsinki AirportApple Maps also recently added indoor maps of various shopping malls in the Spanish cities of Barcelona, Bilbao, and Madrid, along with at least one mall in the Miami area and four in the Phoenix area:
The Falls in the Miami area
Paradise Valley Mall
Arizona Mills
Desert Sky Mall
Scottsdale Fashion SquareThis follows last week's addition of indoor maps of 18 shopping malls in several Canadian cities and suburbs, including Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Montréal, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Dieppe, New Brunswick.

Apple launched indoor maps at select airports and shopping malls in 2017, with a list of locations available on its iOS Feature Availability page. To view an indoor map, open the Apple Maps app on an iPhone or iPad running iOS 11 or later, search for a supported location, zoom in, and tap on "Look Inside" if necessary.

Indoor maps at shopping malls make it easier to find the exact location of stores, restaurants, and restrooms on each floor, in addition to guest services, parking, escalators, stairs, and so forth. Or, swipe up on the place card to browse by category, such as clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty, food, and drinks.

Likewise, at airports, Apple Maps users can zoom in to view terminals, boarding gates, security checkpoints, airline check-in desks, baggage claim carousels, information kiosks, restrooms, stores, restaurants, parking, and more.

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Features Indoor Maps of Boston Logan, DFW, and More Airports and Shopping Malls

Reactions: jjm3

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
This is a great idea but how are they going to keep up with indoor maps at malls? Stores close all the time.

Reactions: B60boy

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I live in Arizona so this is nice and for visitors who don’t know the layout.

I think the airports maps are going to be an extremely useful tool to many people when they look at their devices for info and on the run.

Reactions: Digital Dude

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Seriously, what is taking so long for Atlanta..

Busiest airport in the country (though that's largely because of UPS traffic, not necessarily people). You'd think they'd have been one of the first.
[doublepost=1535042457][/doublepost]
This is a great idea but how are they going to keep up with indoor maps at malls? Stores close all the time.

Same way Google and Apple Maps do with any business. Each shop has a spot number equivalent to a suite number with their address. When they move or close, they can be flagged for closure. When someone else moves in the new tenant can be added. No different than when a business closes or moves in an office building.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

The same way they do with the accuracy of roads. No problem whatsoever. o_O

I think these indoor mapping advancements are great but what I'd most like to see from Maps is outdoor road accuracy data improvements on par with Google Maps or better. As is, it seems most Maps advancements lately is these indoor maps. The question I would ask is how well can Maps get us to these locations so we can use such amazing indoor Maps? If it's taken me out to some empty field somewhere, it really doesn't matter how many floor tiles there are between the front of the GAP and the nearest Verizon kiosk in the mall.

And yes, I know 5 guys will chime in how Maps has worked perfectly for them since day one, but that has not been MY own experience and I keep hoping it will get "good enough" ASAP. As is, I usually go to the extra steps trouble of using Google maps when I need to reliably get to a destination. Basically, I have more faith in it's data.

And yes, I know Apple Maps-branded vans are rolling all around the country- have seen one in my little town in Florida myself. Hopefully that means we are going to get more accuracy soon. What keeps worrying me about that is that there are occasional stories posting how a state or two have been mapped, as if the job is done there now (now on to other states). But all of us know that roads- like stores in Malls- are evolving all the time. So the mapping should be an ONGOING project in ALL states (and countries) instead of doing a state here and there and- perhaps- considering that state "done." Hopefully, that's NOT what's happening but some of the stories have seemed to read like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac'nCheese

RoobyRoobyRoo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
The same way they do with the accuracy of roads. No problem whatsoever. o_O

I think these indoor mapping advancements are great but what I'd most like to see from Maps is outdoor road accuracy data improvements on par with Google Maps or better.

This is exactly why Apple has been working on revamping Maps for four years now and is currently in the early stages of rolling out an improved version. Have you not heard about this? I think it was revealed a few months ago.

Reactions: dreyp82

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I even reference reading the stories about the vans rolling around and witnessing one myself in my own small town. But- like many things Apple these days- I'll believe it when I see it. IMO, modern Apple seems to need to cue up some Elvis: "A little less conversation..."

However, that said, I'm as hopeful as anyone. I'd love it if default Maps worked at least as good as third-party Maps, especially in terms of route & destination accuracy.

Last edited:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I don't get why they still don't have SFO. It's in Apple's backyard, it's one of the busiest airports in the US, it's a major international hub, and they have both of the other, much smaller, Bay Area airports.

The only other top-ten airport in the US they're missing is ATL, which also seems like a weird omission, but given how often Apple employees headed for Asia must fly out of SFO it seems like it'd have been first on the list.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
If adding things like "Paradise Valley Mall" to your world mapping app is a newsworthy event then things are going way to slowly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.