Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've always used Google Maps but not giving away my personal location and search info to the Google Masters appeals to me...so...I tried Apple Maps today. The screen went black several times during my trip. I had to touch the home button each time to get it back.

Anyone know what's going on there?

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1.3

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've always used Google Maps but not giving away my personal location and search info to the Google Masters appeals to me...so...I tried Apple Maps today. The screen went black several times during my trip. I had to touch the home button each time to get it back.

Anyone know what's going on there?

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1.3
Did the screen go dark during a part of the trip where you were just staying on one road for some time and the next direction wasn't coming up until a little while later?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It's not CarPlay.

It's turning off the screen to preserve your battery. When you come to a turn or action is required from you, the screen will turn back on.

Ok. It's connected to power when this happens. That isn't very well designed. Is there a support document that explains it? I didn't find anything.

My one day experiment with Apple's Maps is over, I guess.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I occasionally commute to work in my wifes car that doesnt have carplay so i use Apple Maps just on the phone. If you set it going with navigation then lock the phone it will then turn the screen off when its not really needed and just light up when approaching a turn or anything else of importance.

Makes a difference as previously i didnt realise this and i'd arrive at my location with the battery having gone down even though it was plugged in whilst using it this way my phone will be charged up when i get to my location.

Dont see the issue myself as i dont need the screen on telling me i just have to carry on with what i'm doing...if you do need that then just dont lock the phone or have auto lock turned on i presume.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Dont see the issue myself as i dont need the screen on telling me i just have to carry on with what i'm doing...if you do need that then just dont lock the phone or have auto lock turned on i presume.

It seems weird to me. GPS devices (Garmin, TomTom etc) existed for years before smartphone navigation became commonplace. I don't think any of those did it.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
It seems weird to me. GPS devices (Garmin, TomTom etc) existed for years before smartphone navigation became commonplace. I don't think any of those did it.
They dont and as far as i can tell you can have your phone work in exactly the same way should you want to. Fairly sure that if you start navigation and dont lock the phone then it will stay on, if you do lock the screen then it turns the screen off then comes back on when you need to see things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.