Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
When using Apple Maps around big cities the quality and detail in the 3D images can be mind blowing as seen here around the Eiffel Tower in Paris
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371315728.667587.jpg

However! This isn't the case for everywhere, below is a 3D picture of the area where I live in Ireland and wow it is poor! If you live in an area with awful quality images post them here so we can have a laugh and a giggle :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371315924.016225.jpg

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
When using Apple Maps around big cities the quality and detail in the 3D images can be mind blowing as seen here around the Eiffel Tower in Paris
View attachment 417709

However! This isn't the case for everywhere, below is a 3D picture of the area where I live in Ireland and wow it is poor! If you live in an area with awful quality images post them here so we can have a laugh and a giggle :)
View attachment 417710

Could be because its beta 1? :rolleyes:

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
News flash. Shocking. Certainly worthy of reporting in a dedicated post. Maps are more detailed in major population centers than in rural, international areas. The world now knows. You've saved us all.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
This isn't an iOS 7 issue nor even an Apple Maps issue, even Google Maps is awful in this area where I live. I had to start the thread somewhere so chose iOS 7 as that's the iOS I'm using at the minute #

----------

News flash. Shocking. Certainly worthy of reporting in a dedicated post. Maps are more detailed in major population centers than in rural, international areas. The world now knows. You've saved us all.

Ok read the full report !!! This is a "just for fun" post not trying to point out the map failings

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
When using Apple Maps around big cities the quality and detail in the 3D images can be mind blowing ... However! This isn't the case for everywhere, below is a 3D picture of the area where I live in Ireland and wow it is poor! If you live in an area with awful quality images post them here so we can have a laugh and a giggle :)
View attachment 417710

This isn't an iOS 7 issue nor even an Apple Maps issue, even Google Maps is awful in this area where I live. I had to start the thread somewhere so chose iOS 7 as that's the iOS I'm using at the minute ��

Whatever. Your first post - in an Apple forum - tries to make the case that Apple Maps is inconsistent (which is what the title of this thread clearly states). Then you post that it's not an an iOS or Apple issue at all, because Google maps are just as bad in the same spot.
So - what, exactly, is the point? All maps have inherent strengths and weaknesses? Ya, thanks for finally pointing that out. We didn't know. :rolleyes:

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
View attachment 417709

View attachment 417710

Please report any bugs or problems to the official Apple developer bug report page instead of posting it here for everyone to 'giggle' at. This hardly deserves any giggle. Whats so funny about a awful quality image? :confused:

Perhaps I'm too serious, but I really do feel there is absolutely nothing to laugh at. Honestly.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Please report any bugs or problems to the official Apple developer bug report page instead of posting it here for everyone to 'giggle' at. This hardly deserves any giggle. Whats so funny about a awful quality image? :confused:

Perhaps I'm too serious, but I really do feel there is absolutely nothing to laugh at. Honestly.

Yeah I've reported it when it first came out and rather than being annoyed at it now I just get on with it :) hoping to see a post of someone even worse off than me lol ;-)

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Yeah I've reported it when it first came out and rather than being annoyed at it now I just get on with it :) hoping to see a post of someone even worse off than me lol ;-)

I do understand your meaning behind your thread :) . I mean no harm too. Glad that you reported the bug to Apple. I hope a fix is on its way. ;)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
There is obviously a level of priority for large metro areas and more people to contribute data to make it better.

I wouldn't expect amazing flyover data in the middle of the Arizona desert as opposed to Phoenix. I'm not sure what is surprising about that?

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
There is obviously a level of priority for large metro areas and more people to contribute data to make it better.

I wouldn't expect amazing flyover data in the middle of the Arizona desert as opposed to Phoenix. I'm not sure what is surprising about that?

Yeah I totally agree but look at the difference I have here less than half a mile down the road lol it's still not great but a hell of a lot better :-D
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371318309.456342.jpg

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Yeah I totally agree but look at the difference I have here less than half a mile down the road lol it's still not great but a hell of a lot better :-D
View attachment 417723

I wonder if this is more of an issue with TomTom's data set? I noticed that the new Maps app makes it very clear that the data is from TomTom in the sheet that comes up to choose maps/satellite/hybrid data.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I wonder if this is more of an issue with TomTom's data set? I noticed that the new Maps app makes it very clear that the data is from TomTom in the sheet that comes up to choose maps/satellite/hybrid data.

I know my area isn't mapped out well on my TomTom sat nav and the maps are identical in the Apple & Google versions too so that explains that part. Even google maps image changes exactly same place as the apple maps but its better quality slightly

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
View attachment 417709

View attachment 417710

Actually, your 2 pictures are 2 different modes. The Paris one is flyover (thus the buildings icon), the Ireland one is 3D, basically just the normal map laid over the 3D terrain.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
What's the point of this thread? :confused:

Satellite image quality is just due to... well... satellite image quality availability. It doesn't have anything to do with iOS 7, and isn't even a problem exclusive to Apple Maps. So.......... ?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
So - what, exactly, is the point? All maps have inherent strengths and weaknesses? Ya, thanks for finally pointing that out. We didn't know. :rolleyes:

Well actually last year it seemed like a lot of people didn't know. They pointed out flaws in Apple's Maps and made the biggest deal out of them while (falsely) claiming no such error's could be found in Google's Maps.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I personally find it interesting that supposedly Apple is not dodging taxes, but instead Apple Ireland is paying Apple to do research etc. And yet, the quality of Maps and the number of Siri features in Europe is limited at best....

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Whatever. Your first post - in an Apple forum - tries to make the case that Apple Maps is inconsistent (which is what the title of this thread clearly states). Then you post that it's not an an iOS or Apple issue at all, because Google maps are just as bad in the same spot.

Dude don't destroy the enthusiasm, it's sad to be so cynical. I'd rather these forums had more people like this thread starter and less of this defensive unfriendly attitude

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland

Sure that's what you get for living in Ballymena hi ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.