Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps has been updated with comprehensive transit data for the U.S. cities of Columbus, Ohio and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, enabling iPhone users in the areas to navigate using public transportation, including buses or light rail.

apple-maps-transit-columbus-pittsburgh.jpg

Transit routing options in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area include Port Authority of Allegheny County buses and light rail, while directions for Central Ohio Transit Authority buses are provided in the Columbus metropolitan area.

Apple introduced Transit in Maps as part of iOS 9 in select cities around the world, including Baltimore, Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, and over 300 cities in China. The feature has its own tab in Apple Maps on iOS 10 when entering directions.

The feature has since expanded to a number of regions around the world, including Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Honolulu, Kansas City, Miami, Montréal, Portland, Prague, Rio de Janeiro, Sacramento, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, parts of New South Wales in Australia, and parts of British Columbia in Canada.

(Thanks, Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Expands Transit Data to Columbus and Pittsburgh

Reactions: jjm3

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I know competition is good and all, but I kind of wish Apple would give it up already and allow users to select Google Maps as the default map program.

Beck Show

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
U.S.A.
I know competition is good and all, but I kind of wish Apple would give it up already and allow users to select Google Maps as the default map program.
I am so glad this hasn't happened. I definitely don't like Google Maps.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Meanwhile, millions and millions of overworked, stressed and tired commuters have to make do with following the analog signs pointing to exit C, and manually figuring out whether their city has a tram or a light rail.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Meanwhile, millions and millions of overworked, stressed and tired commuters have to make do with following the analog signs pointing to exit C, and manually figuring out whether their city has a tram or a light rail.

While I feel for those commuters, features like this definitely makes things easier for me as a tourist.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
Columbus: "Your COTA is scheduled to arrive in 2 minutes."
10 minutes later it still won't be there. Horrendously ineffective buses.

Reactions: desmond2046

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

Are you kidding? Apple will be launching its new base map in 2017 and already iPhone users are using it 5 BILLION times a week even though they can easily use Google or other map apps.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Are you kidding? Apple will be launching its new base map in 2017 and already iPhone users are using it 5 BILLION times a week even though they can easily use Google or other map apps.

It's easy to inflate Apple Maps numbers due to the prevalence of driving over public/cycling in the US, and the general number of drivers everywhere in the world. Driving directions have been available everywhere for the last 20 years. It doesn't mean Apple Maps is doing something better, just that it's there on your homescreen the second you turn your new iPhone on.

Last edited:

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

No, I'm not kidding. I've been using google maps for who knows how long and have a preference for its UI.

What's a base map? Is Apple set to revamp their map app next year?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
COTA: To get home would take 2 hours 45 min.
Driving: 19 minutes.

Why public transit just doesnt work for sprawling metros like Columbus.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
No, I'm not kidding. I've been using google maps for who knows how long and have a preference for its UI.

What's a base map? Is Apple set to revamp their map app next year?

The Apple maps app will be revamping in about an half-hour.

In 2017 Apple will complete its base map which it has been working on for several years and will allow it to roll out great new features.

A base map is the foundation of a GIS on which all other data layers are built. The accuracy of the base map dictates the accuracy of other data used in the GIS.
[doublepost=1473822185][/doublepost]
It's easy to inflate Apple Maps numbers due to the prevalence of driving over public/cycling in the US, and the general number of drivers everywhere in the world. Driving directions have been available everywhere for the last 20 years. It doesn't mean Apple Maps is doing something better, just that it's there on your homescreen the second you turn your new iPhone on.

And Google Maps and other map
Apps take about a minute to download and are free. Apple maps has been growing tremendously as it has been greatly improved plus you don't have to sacrifice your privacy, e.g., Google stores everywhere you drive forever!

Good User Name

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
Is there a specific article or piece of news you're referencing for this? All I can find with Google is a reference to a 2018 relaunch.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

You already mention it, but choice is good.

More importantly, Google does things I don't want to be involved with if possible. At the time of the change from Google maps to Apple Maps:

- Apple wanted turn-by-turn and vector map tiles, Google was holding these back as advantages for the Android platform.
- In return for providing the features Apple (and iOS users) asked for, Google wanted more control over the Maps app, more branding, and more identifiable location data. Apple wouldn't budge.

I'm glad Apple went down this path - privacy is important. It would've been easy to give Google access to iOS user data in return for the features.

It might not have worked out the way they wanted to, but we now have a great Google maps app (with vector map tiles and turn-by-turn). And For those that want it privacy via Apple Maps (and in certain countries like mine - zeros issues maps wise. However points of interest, while improving, are still lacking).

On the point of setting default apps - that's a whole different argument, and a decision that probably won't be changing soon.

Reactions: utwarreng

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
Their partnership with the Transit app for real-time tracking is pretty nice.

That's what I keep hearing from people, but the last time I tried waiting for a COTA, it was after a concert a Nationwide about a month ago and the schedule and tracker said the next bus would be at my stop in just 5 minutes, then 2 minutes, then 10 minutes, and we ended up waiting over 30 minutes and the bus never got there. Finally we just sucked it up and paid the Uber surge pricing and got home that way. Not a good look for those of us who don't frequent the COTA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.