Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
How do you guys feel about this? Personally, I think they should have dropped all A5 devices. It doesn't make any sense to keep the iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5 but drop the iPhone 4s.

Now this means that the iPad 2 will have gotten 7 major iOS releases and support for 6.5 years (or 5 more versions than its predecessor).

EDIT: seems like all A5/A5X devices were dropped after all.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The screenshot during the keynote didn't mention the iPad 2 nor iPad 3. Those were dropped.

BL.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
The screenshot during the keynote didn't mention the iPad 2 nor iPad 3. Those were dropped.

BL.
Believe it or not, they're still supported.
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 2.48.03 PM.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How do you guys feel about this? Personally, I think they should have dropped all A5 devices. It doesn't make any sense to keep the iPad 2, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5 but drop the iPhone 4s.

Now this means that the iPad 2 will have gotten 7 major iOS releases and support for 6.5 years (or 5 more versions than its predecessor).
Be happy.

The 4s was supported until now.

Apple killed the iPhone 5 after only one year if it being the flagship.

The 4 series has had unnaturally long life because it seems people wanted that phone for some reason. But at some point it had to go away.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Be happy.

The 4s was supported until now.

Apple killed the iPhone 5 after only one year if it being the flagship.

The 4 series has had unnaturally long life because it seems people wanted that phone for some reason. But at some point it had to go away.

The iPhone 5 is still be supported. Apple didn't kill it after a year. They put it in a different casing and called it the 5c.

Reactions: M. Gustave

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The iPhone 5 is still be supported. Apple didn't kill it after a year. They put it in a different casing and called it the 5c.
Oh, I know the 5 is supported but it never got the attention that the 4/4s got.

Did Apple put the iPhone 4 in a plastic case and call it a new phone when the 4s launched? No. Apple moved it down a price tier and still advertised it.

When the iPhone 5 was launched did Apple put the iPhone 4s in a plastic case and call it a new phone? No. They moved the 4s down a price tier and still advertised it.

I expected that to happen with the 5, the first iPhone I ever purchased completely new.

So did Apple move the iPhone 5 down a price tier when they launched the 5s? No, they put it in plastic and called it a brand new phone while discontinuing the iPhone 5 itself. One year is all you got.

What about when the iPhone 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ launched? Where was the 4s then? Still being sold.

The 4 and 4s got multiple years. So did the 5s.

And now people who don't know think the SE is great but never realize that the SE uses the iPhone 5 form factor!

Yeah, I'm bitter about it.

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas

Did Apple put the iPhone 4 in a plastic case and call it a new phone when the 4s launched? No. Apple moved it down a price tier and still advertised it.

When the iPhone 5 was launched did Apple put the iPhone 4s in a plastic case and call it a new phone? No. They moved the 4s down a price tier and still advertised it.

I expected that to happen with the 5, the first iPhone I ever purchased completely new.

So did Apple move the iPhone 5 down a price tier when they launched the 5s? No, they put it in plastic and called it a brand new phone while discontinuing the iPhone 5 itself. One year is all you got.

The 4 and 4s got multiple years.

I remember the leaked SJ email about the "iPhone 4 Plus" which would have been kind of like a repackaged iPod touch. We will never know about that one...

Reactions: eyoungren

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

What about when the iPhone 6/6+ and 6s/6s+ launched? Where was the 4s then? Still being sold.

The 4 and 4s got multiple years. So did the 5s.

And now people who don't know think the SE is great but never realize that the SE uses the iPhone 5 form factor!

I think I've had this conversation with you before. I still don't get why you care how long Apple kept selling the 5 as long as they kept supporting it with software and features, which they still do 4 years later, but whatever.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think I've had this conversation with you before. I still don't get why you care how long Apple kept selling the 5 as long as they kept supporting it with software and features, which they still do 4 years later, but whatever.
For the same reason iPad 3 owners were pissed off about the iPad 4.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
For the same reason iPad 3 owners were pissed off about the iPad 4.

That's not the same at all! They were pissed because the iPad 3 was replaced with a new significantly better model 8 months after launch! The iPhone 5 was replaced a year later with the 5s, in the standard predictable upgrade cycle.

Your issue just seems to be that they discontinued a model that you already owned anyway, even though they continued to sell the same phone in a new body.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
That's not the same at all! They were pissed because the iPad 3 was replaced with a new significantly better model 8 months after launch! The iPhone 5 was replaced a year later with the 5s, in the standard predictable upgrade cycle.

Your issue just seems to be that they discontinued a model that you already owned anyway, even though they continued to sell the same phone in a new body.
It was actually 7 months!

Even if they stopped selling the iPhone 5, to me that made that iPhone more special. It even has the most unique color on an iOS device: slate.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.