Apple maybe developing iMaps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bushy162, May 14, 2012.

1. Bushy162 macrumors member

I read an article yesterday that said Apple is quite likely developing their own version digital mapping service with satellite imagery etc.

Wouldn't this just be brilliant! I really hope they are. :)

What are your thoughts?

2. matttye macrumors 601

Not sure how brilliant it would be; the other players in the map game have had years and years to develop and refine their mapping offers. Has Apple bought out one of the existing big names in mapping or are they apparently creating their own?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple starting their own mapping company? Highly unlikely.

There are already two very good providers out there, Navteq and TeleAtlas.

4. Arnezie, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I didn't start this thread I contributed links showing what the op was talking about , what did you contribute ?

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

yet they are still full of flaws and crappy images.

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I just hope they have android-style turn-by-turn navigation. That's honestly the only thing I miss about my Nexus One. Well, that and the free tethering.

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I just don't see them coming out with a full featured integrated Nav setup like Google Nav on Android. For the simple reason that they would alienate their App store partners. They make a ton of $ off Nav app's which not only actually sell in decent volume but at way higher $$ then other apps for the most part with some having even recurring cost. People would just want to use the "iMaps" vs buying other 3rd party apps. Look on Android, there's very few Nav offerings and they sell maybe a fraction of the amount Apple App store has b/c Google Nav is just that good.

Guess we'll see, but I doubt Apple will integrate a Nav setup like that, more likely they may do an "updated" version of their maps but not as good/features/voice/integrated as Google Nav.

Who knows though, Apples shown before their cocky enough to go against their App store partners. But with the volume and $ the Nav app's have....., not sure there

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

So long as it required a data connection to run, it wouldn't interfere with many of the pay for apps.

It'd be no different than using their current 'Maps' or a free navigation app like 'Waze.'

11. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Majority wouldn't know that though, and Google Nav uses data yet the 3rd party Nav app's don't sell a lot, there's only a few of them too vs a bunch on App Store. Google Nav isn't data intensive either with the vector graphics so that's why it loads and works fast, I've been out in the middle of the boonies like through the Carolinas and Mountains (Boone) with no connection and Nav worked fine as it'll cache the maps and then with the spots here and there of data will cache further and further from that point.

Now if you live in an area with no data basically and need a 3rd party app to even start, then yeh that's better. However that's like a needle in a haystack in terms of people who fit that need vs general population.

People switch to the 3rd party Nav app's b/c maps is horrible as well as Waze, I had Waze on my iphone and it was wrong so many times nevermind it looks so cartoonish. 3rd party app's have everything from voice guided nav, integrated features, clean and sharp 3d views etc... just like Google Nav. People see the iPhone comes with something like that now, 99% would pry careless of the 3rd party app's.

12. matttye macrumors 601

Seem fine to me :confused: