Apple might be in trouble

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobenhaus, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

doubt it...."we thought about releasing something, but didn't". If anything, samsung is safe, not apple in trouble

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

That works in the court...

It's still trouble for Apple if they lose in court, they might incur penalties.

3. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

You don't have to release something to make it valid prior art. As long as Samsung can show that these concepts really existed in the time frame they're claiming, it's pretty good proof that they came up with the design independently of the iPhone.

If they can do that and then also show that their phones look sufficiently different to iPhones that ordinary users are not getting confused about which is which, then I think Samsung have a pretty strong case.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

When I was working at Best Buy, I thought the Galaxy Tablet resembled the iPad a little too much. At first glance with the screen off, I thought someone had moved the iPads without taking down the Samsung Advertising. After a double take, I realized it was the Galaxy Tab.

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

could you define trouble? Any amount of money the court could force them to pay would still leave them worth several billion. I want that kind of trouble.

6. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

The Tabs I see are the 10.1N models and can be easily differentiated from the iPads due to their silver speakers on the side.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He ignores the packaging, power plugs, store displays with floating apps...basically all the other stuff Samsung did that looked very, very Apple-like.

That's the part that interests me the most (as in, this is why Samsung is getting sued instead of all the other Android phone makers) and he doesn't even bring it up.

8. Furifo macrumors 6502

Apple are a company that plans things for years before releasing them. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple could prove they had plans/prototypes for the iPhone years before they actually released it (2007).

9. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

they are proving that. That's why all the prototypes from way back surfaced last week.

In all honesty I think both companies ripped off some things over the years. Samsung could make a phone with the exact same dimensions as the iPhone but it would still be a radically different user experience because of the OS. These court cases are a great example of our loosely run patent system gone wild.

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

They did have plans and prototypes years before. If I remember correctly they started the whole idea back in the early 2000's (I keep wanting to say 2001, but I'm not sure) and was supposed to be the tablet first, but they changed directions and went with the phone first instead. So technically, the idea for the iPad came even before the iPhone.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most people know that the packaging style predates the iPhone, the plugs don't look the same in real life (even Apple has never condemned them), and the nonsense about the store-within-a-store display has been soundly dismissed.

The article was about basic design, not trade dress, which is what you appear to be talking about.

What's interesting is that Apple is fighting to keep this info out of the Apple v Samsung trial under Judge Koh in California. Jurors have just been selected and the trial will be starting soon.

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

It does not matter really when Apple started, Samsung only needs to prove that theirs designs were not copied from iPad/iPhone. Since nobody were aware of such products before their announcement, it does not really matter when Apple started making prototypes.

----------

There is no point arguying with him, he'll always bring out the same arguments no matter how pointless they are.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

It should be a wash now. If Samsung can prove those concepts are before iPhone's time, it doesn't matter what prototypes Apple had unless they showed those prototyes to Samsung before the iPhone was released (doubt it!) and before Samsung came up with those prototypes of their own.

Case should be over.

----------

Remember the time Apple changed the size of the Samsung Vibrant in court pictures to look more like the dimensions of the iPhone? :rolleyes:

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Arguing?

I raised some questions and kdarling was kind enough to teach me some things. I always enjoy his posts and this was no exception. What makes you think I wouldn't like his post?

Why you feel the need to try and pit him against me as if we're enemies I have no idea. Does it make you happy to watch people fight, even when there was no animosity there to begin with?

17. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I merely said at first glance. I am not blind, I can tell the difference between the Galaxy Tab and the iPad. I was just surprised how similar the front face of the two tablets happened to be (only the front). Obviously, there is no home button and the Galaxy Tab says Samsung on it..

[​IMG]

18. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Even with the amount of times the points you mentioned were debunked, you still bring them up like it was never mentioned. It's really pointless.

----------

There is nothing wrong with what you said, I just mentioned the 10.1n because that is the version that is on sale right now.

The one you posted is not the 10.1n, here is the N version

[​IMG]

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There is no doubt that Samsung made their products look more like Apple products for the sole purpose of causing customer confusion.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.