Apple Mini Display Port NOT working at resolutions over 1600X1200 for NON Apple brand

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacFanJeff, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

Problem:

Apple Mini Display Port does NOT work at resolutions over 1600X1200 on NON Apple Cinema Displays.

That means if you own any other brand of monitor such as NEC, Lacie, etc. you will NOT get native resolution on your 24 inch monitor as it is stuck at a maximum resolution of 1600X1200.

This story was mentioned on "Macbreak Weekly" show 4-14-2009. I have since checked with a few people and it would indeed seem to be true at this point.

I REALLY hope a solution from Apple comes soon and this is not some new policy of theirs. If so, it may be the last mac pro I will or can ever own. The reason is I do a lot of 3D work with C4D, Vue, Modo and Photoshop CS4 so I MUST have a monitor like the high-end ones from Lacie that have 100% color gamut and Adobe RGB. I can NOT be tied down to an Apple Cinema display due to that work. At this time, it seems this means I would only get 1600X1200 resolution on that 24 inch monitor.

I am HIGHLY concerned by this. Has anyone else confirmed this too and if so what the heck is Apple thinking or better still going to do about it? I LOVE my Mac Pro but if they start forcing Apple displays on us then I won't be buying another Mac, it's just that simple.

2. bzshutter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I'm missing something but my GT120 is working perfectly fine with both a DELL 24" and a samsung 26" LCD. Both run at 1920x1200 res.
    Link to the article ?

3. macman21 macrumors newbie

I'm having no issues running 1920x1200 with my ATI 4870 card. Straight DVI and mini DP -> DVI work fine.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is with a NON Apple display.

4. DuaneWayne macrumors newbie

Fine here

I'm running 2048x1152 on a samsung 2343BWX just fine though the mini display port on my Mac pro 09. I did have an issue with the first one I got and had to return it, but it didn't work at all....

5. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

There is no "link" as you need to download the podcast mentioned in my first post.

Right now, there are still several factors to investigate here and no one at this time has put it all together.

It is interesting to read what you say as I assume you mean you are running your Dell and Samsung through the Mini Display Port? If so, are you using both monitors at the same time? Have you tried both of them as single monitors through the Mini Display Port at 1900X1200?

You said you have a 2009 Mac Pro GT120 video card and it may be a factor of:

1. The GT120 models are not affected, only ATI cards.

2. Only certain monitor brands are affected by it.

3. Only certain parts are affected and/or defective meaning depending upon what batch they are from the issue shows up.

At least this is something to go on and others are still working on this to determine what factors are.

Others are picking it up too, TMUP has heard this now too and Steve Stranger may look into this as well. I am sure Leo, Scott and Andy will follow-up on this in a future podcast too at some point.

Once I get more details I will post it here.