Apple missing from huge coalition of tech companies for net neutrality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hasanahmad, May 7, 2014.

1. hasanahmad, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I'm so glad Apple will get special treatment on content delivery with Comcast, so that we won't use those evil services such as Netflix and we can have the purest Apple-Comcast experience one could imagine.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Amen, brother! I wish the government would keep its dirty hands off big business and let the free market decide what's best, rather than trying to make everything fair for everyone. Like communism.

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think it is important that people realize where the issue lies. There can be perfectly valid reasons for a core internet provider to have different classes of service running on their backbone. Core providers sell private MPLS-based services to businesses for office-to-office networking at agreed-upon rates for agreed upon levels of service. Perfectly reasonable.

And, totally different from a home ISP local monopoly {Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, TWC, etc} holding their customers hostage. This is exactly what former SBC/AT&T boss Ed Whitacre was talking about in 2005:

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2005-11-06/online-extra-at-sbc-its-all-about-scale-and-scope

In other words, he thought then, and, they all still think now, that they own (access to) you, the customer.