Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

103131-ios_gps_location.jpg

TechCrunch reports on an overlooked detail from Apple's response to federal legislators earlier this month regarding privacy concerns, noting that the company disclosed that it moved its location services in-house as of the release of iPhone OS 3.2 on the iPad in April. In addressing privacy concerns over the collection of user location data, the company made the following statement:
For devices running iPhone OS versions 1.1.3 to 3.1, Apple relied on (and still relies on) databases maintained by Google and Skyhook Wireless ("Skyhook") to provide location-based services. Beginning with the iPhone OS version 3.2 released in April 2010, Apple relies on its own databases to provide location-based services and for diagnostic purposes.
The change is a subtle one essentially invisible to users, but marks yet another example of Apple's desire to control as much of the top-to-bottom user experience as possible. Even more importantly, it marks a significant reduction in the company's reliance on partner-turned-rival Google for services on its iOS devices.

Apple has made little secret of its desire to move into the mapping and location services arena, first by acquiring Placebase in July of last year. A report from earlier this month indicated that it has also acquired small Canadian mapping firm Poly9. Additional hints came in an Apple job posting that appeared last November seeking a software engineer to help "take Maps to the next level".

Article Link: Apple Moved Location Services In-House With iPad and iOS 4

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
The '1984' commercial by Apple was more foreboding than we could ever have imagined.
I wonder who'll be taking the swinging hammer to the :apple: in a couple of years.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
So, whats the difference. Is your data any better protected by Google or Skyhook?

I'm glad Apple made it in-house. This will allow Apple to provide better location-based services into iOS going forward and possibility Mac OS X and but be restricted to Google or Skyhook. This is long term Strategy and where they want to take iOS into the future.

Apple wants to lead, not follow. When you are a follower, you can easily be replaced with another follower.

egret

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Tampa
Yeah, because letting Google control your life is SO much better than letting Apple do it. :p

Come on.
I can only imagine that Apple's version of GoogleEarth is going to be awesome. This what competition does. The consumer is the winner. The dark subtext given to Apple or Google's motives is really quite silly.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
The '1984' commercial by Apple was more foreboding than we could ever have imagined.
I wonder who'll be taking the swinging hammer to the :apple: in a couple of years.

if you notice apple even uses "newspeak" in the naming of their products
ie. macbook, macbook pro, mac pro

Precious. Absolutely precious.

Wait.... I wonder if there is a Tolkien reference in any of their ads?

Maybe I can associate Apple with Gollum somehow and look really clever!
:rolleyes:

oscarmacca

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Good. Cover your bases, Apple.

I'm glad to see Apple take more control. Better apps and class iOS and Snow Leopard.

Would anyone seriously like to go back to the days when SJ, on his return to Cupertino, had to go begging Gates for cash and a promise to keep writing Mac software?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

LOL. Worry about the US 16 Trillion Deficit. Much more reality based.

Good move Apple. Keep our information secure. Something that will be the undoing of Android and Google. Of course once they start to act like Apple, some other "Open Everything" company will come along with their "open mind" allowing it's Grey Matter to flow freely onto the ground.

Control =Security. :apple:

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I can only imagine that Apple's version of GoogleEarth is going to be awesome. This what competition does. The consumer is the winner. The dark subtext given to Apple or Google's motives is really quite silly.

But I think I would rather let Google handle my maps. The've been at it longer, StreetView shows that they really want to invest in it, and I have never had any problems with GoogleMaps. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

make the same looking products that don't allow any customization?

IrI

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2004
UK
Crap. Now when initially finding location it puts me on the wrong side of the river if I have 3G turned on. Sigh

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So, in fear of Google, Apple is reinventing the wheel? How much of this is taking place? Is Apple going to be sending vehicles around the world re-doing the mapping that Google (and others) have already done? How many people think this is a good idea? Can anyone say 'megalomania'? Are the meds influencing Steve's judgement? Heck, the maps are already screwed up enough.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
this explains why when i search for something on Foursquare the locations are screwed up. i could be standing in front of the business and it will tell me i'm 200 meters away

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
For all the anti google speak. For Android users we know that you have the ability to control a lot of aspects of privacy from the system settings. A lot more control than I had on my iPhone for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.