Apple movie trailers play in Windows but not OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kelleybp, May 9, 2011.

1. kelleybp macrumors member

So I'm having a confusing problem -- any movie trailers from trailers.apple.com won't appear on the website -- all I see is a backdrop for the movie with no option to actually watch a trailer. See my screenshot below to see what I'm talking about. It looks this way with every browser I've tried (Safari, Chrome, and Firefox). Javascript is enabled and I've got OS X 10.6.7. I'm on a brand new 2011 iMac with the software update. To make things even more confusing, they play just fine in boot camp with Windows 7 using any web browser, including IE, so I know its not a network or router problem.

[​IMG]

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

3. kelleybp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, but this doesn't really help me. It appears that I have some kind of javascript error that is affecting all of my browsers in OSX. Again, it works just fine in Windows. I have the same problem with my iPad so perhaps my ISP or router isn't vibing correctly with OSX/iOS. I have a Linksys E3000 with Charter internet.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Linksys E3000 cannot be used without running the setup. First, make sure that you are not using the "guest" network. If you are on the regular network, then check back with additional information.

5. kelleybp thread starter macrumors member

I've got the E3000 running in dual band mode, with the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz channels running with different SSID's. Guest mode is disabled. I've tried both the 2.4 and 5.0 networks to no avail. Security is WPA-PSK Personal.

6. Eddie B macrumors newbie

Registered here for the exact same problem. Plays fine on my Windows computer at home, and the Macs at work, but my girlfriend's Mac has the same blank backdrop problem.

Her QuickTime and iTunes are both up to date, as well as her Chrome and Safari browsers. :-/

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My router is a Cisco Linksys E3000. I have a Power Mac G5 running MacOS X 10.4.11 with all Apple software up-to-date. The Power Mac is connected to the router via Ethernet. I have an Early 2009 17" MacBook Pro running MacOS X 10.6.7 with all Apple software up-to-date. The MacBook Pro connects wirelessly to the router. There is not a hint of a problem with the Apple iTunes trailer site with either machine. Conan is most barbaric on both. The cowboys kick alien butt, no matter which computer I use.

8. Eddie B macrumors newbie

I would also like to note that as of a few weeks ago, everything worked fine on her computer.

9. north385com macrumors newbie

Also having this problem

Jumping on the thread—it's been down on my tower and laptop (both Macs).

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

We can rule out anything generic to the computer or router. You may have blocked a port or something like that. That is where you will have to look.

11. Bradley83 macrumors newbie

Same issue

I'm having the same issue on both my iPad and my MacBook both of which a fully up to date, however apple trailers work fine on my iPhone from both 3G and home wifi. I have tried accessing the trailers from Starbucks and at a friends house and still have the same issue. My friend uses a llnksys router and I use an apple time machine. I think the error is with the webpage itself.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The webpage works fine.

13. paduck macrumors 6502

Not for everyone. Doesn't work for me on iPad, Mac and iPhone. I get an error:

"The apple.com trailers application has encountered an error."

Seems unlikely that it is router related. Some of the other threads seem to imply a javascript error. Perhaps not on all of Apple's servers though...

14. patp Guest

working for me. I use Chrome and a QT permissions pops up, I select it and the trailer loads and plays fine.

15. Brugal macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem as kelleybp. On my MBP only shows the back drop and can't see the trailer play option. In my Windows 7 PC works fine. Please help on this.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Are you using the Safari Plugin Adblock? If so go to the Apple page and right click to select not to block Adds on the Apple Domain.