Apple music and iCloud photo library on Apple TV 3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Bram.96, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

Will Apple Music and iCloud photo library ever come to the Apple TV 3 or will they be exclusive to Apple TV 4?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

It is looking like the ATV 3 will not get much of anything going forward. Would love to be wrong since there are continuing to sell it.

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

They'll sell it for those who basically just want to the basic streaming services for the lowest cost and still be in the Apple eco system

highly doubt they add any features to it, but I'm sure there will still be apps like CBS added to it

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Funny you mention CBS because I wanted to get that on ATV before start on the new shows on Monday 9/21. Really looking forward to watching all of the new shows available on Hulu without Commercials. Except for CBS. If only CBS would also off a commercial free option I could drop my DVR.

5. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

I'm personally still expecting Apple Music because when it launched, Apples own website said that it would be coming to the Apple TV and during that time the third generation was still the current model. If they won't do that it would be the same as advertising 3D touch as a new feature when they introduced iOS 9 last summer when the iPhone 6s wasn't announced yet.

6. seanrt macrumors member

seanrt

At the very least can't they change the Beats app on my ATV 3 to an Apple Music app. Plus organize my tv Show seasons better

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I agree it makes sense they would. But it is not listed in the ATV3 vs. ATV4 comparison. I guess they could add it to iTunes Music instead of Apple Music somehow. Or maybe some how via HomeSharing. Or maybe the comparison chart is just wrong. See section for iTunes Store.

I really hope I am wrong and we see an update to the ATV3. I have 4 and do not want to replace all 4.

http://www.apple.com/tv/compare/

8. seamusk macrumors member

It says right on the comparison chart:

iTunes Store
    (new apple tv)
    iTunes movies; iTunes TV shows; Apple Music
    (old apple tv)
    iTunes movies; iTunes TV shows; iTunes music; iTunes Radio

ETA: I imagine it's just a weird seeming place for it so you didn't look in that spot.

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Not sure of your point. We have been talking about "Apple Music" and ATV 3. And on the chart it does not have Apple Music on the ATV 3. Again, I hope I am wrong but that is Apples Chart.

10. seamusk macrumors member

It is on the chart. That's where I posted that from. Or maybe i'm mis-comprehending the issue?

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I gave the link to the chart that you are posting from.

Notice the "old apple tv" which is the ATV 3 does NOT have the Apple Music Listed. Which is what this tread is about. It has iTune Music but that is not the same as Apple Music which is the New Music Streaming Service release a while back.

(old apple tv)
    iTunes movies; iTunes TV shows; iTunes music; iTunes Radio

12. seamusk macrumors member

AH you are correct. I read that as you saying the new apple tv didn't have it. But yes, the old one doesn't seem to be getting Apple Music support. Sorry about that.

13. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

Wow that sucks, and that's some really misleading information that Apple gave us then last summer.

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Agreed. Maybe they will change that after the New ATV Comes out. I really do not understand why they could not have release a limited version of tvOS for ATV 3. Like without the App Store. That way they could allow a limited amount of Apps for it.