Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The inaugural Apple Music awards take place tomorrow at the Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park, and in typical Apple fashion, the company has designed a series of unique vinyl-inspired awards to be presented to the winners.

Apple_announces-first-Apple-Music-Awards-hardware-award_120219.jpg

Each award features a polished sheet of glass and a machined and anodized aluminum body, between which is suspended Apple's custom 12-inch silicon wafer - the same chips that power the company's iPhones and iPads, and included in the commemorative design as a "symbolic gesture," says Apple.
The wafers start as a perfect 12-inch disc of silicon with nanometer level flatness. Copper layers are deposited and patterned by ultraviolet lithography to create connections between billions of transistors. The result of this multi-month process, before it is sliced into hundreds of individual chips, is stunning and distinctive. In a symbolic gesture, the same chips which power the devices that put the world's music at your fingertips sit at the very heart of the Apple Music Awards.
The Apple Music Awards will kick off with a bespoke performance from Billie Eilish, whose full-length debut album WHEN WE FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? was the most played album on Apple Music this year.

Eilish will be awarded Apple Music's Album of the Year as the most streamed album of 2019, with more than a billion streams on Apple Music. Billie will also receive the award for Songwriter of the Year, which will go to both her and her brother FINNEAS.

Also during the event, the Breakthrough Artist of the Year award will be presented to Lizzo, while the Song of the Year award will go to Lil Nas X, for the track "Old Town Road."

This Apple Music Awards will be streamed live around the world on Wednesday, December 4 at 6:30 p.m. PST. More information on the Apple Music Awards is available in the Apple Newsroom.

Article Link: Apple Music Award Design Features Apple's Custom Silicon Wafer

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
Apple is trying to be Hollywood now with all of these award shows. First an event honoring apps and now this, but my gosh, those awards look nice....

Reactions: springsup

MKevin3

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2016
As award shows are seeing a large downturn in viewership we need another one? Would much rather see money spent in other areas. Not like celebrities don't already have their share.

Did they just give away the winner in this screenshot? I clearly see Billie Eilish shown as artist of the year on the award.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Those awards are beautiful and a nice touch. And a nice connection going back to the time in the early 2000s when the music industry was on the ropes and Apple stepped in with a better idea.

Reactions: orbital~debris

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
They have one main source of revenue. ONE. The iPhone/

If that iPhone revenue dries up they are dead in the water. lmao at trillion dollar company.
You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. Do you own Apple stock and listen to the earnings announcement every quarter? I don’t even need to ask; I know the answer is no with the misinformation you’re spewing.

Apple makes the most money right now with wearables: Apple Watch and AirPods. They also make a lot of money with iPhones. They make a lot of money with services, too, like Apple Music, iCloud, and AppleCare. They make the least amount of money with Mac computers, but it’s still a lot.

Additionally, Apple has tons and tons of cash on hand.

And beyond all of that, Apple has already laid out the plan for tapering off the iPhone’s revenue and they are already executing this plan, successfully if I might add.

This is all public information you can learn about in their earnings reports.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
I hate to sound negative, and I’m not tryin to hate. But this doesn’t really seem like the direction I would like to see Apple gravitate towards.

Cutting edge software matched with groundbreaking hardware use to be Apples wheel house.

Those days are over ever since Steve Jobs himself dropped Computer from Apple Computer. Disgusting. Saw the warning sign when the iPod, which, yes, I absolutely think destroyed Apple by turning it into a toy company like Hasbro.

Reactions: iapplelove

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. Do you own Apple stock and listen to the earnings announcement every quarter? I don’t even need to ask; I know the answer is no with the misinformation you’re spewing.

Apple makes the most money right now with wearables: Apple Watch and AirPods. They also make a lot of money with iPhones. They make a lot of money with services, too, like Apple Music, iCloud, and AppleCare. They make the least amount of money with Mac computers, but it’s still a lot.

And beyond all of that, Apple has already laid out the plan for tapering off the iPhone’s revenue and they are already executing this plan, successfully if I might add.

Pedantically speaking, they actually have the most revenue in the iPhone category. In Q3 it was the first time it dipped under 50%. Services and wearables gained a lot but are still a fraction of the iPhone sector.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

Without iPhone revenue they are done. You can think all you want about what I know and what I don’t, I’m not tryin to sell anything to you.

All the earnings you describe are residual sales from what? The iPhone.

One bad iPhone launch and trust me, heads will rolling. lol trillion dollars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.