Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced a new partnership with Dubset Media Holdings to stream thousands of remixed songs and DJ mixes, both based on original recordings, that were previously unavailable due to copyright issues. Apple Music will be the first streaming music service to provide access to these previously unlicensed tracks, according to Billboard.

martin-garrix-945-4501-1-800x381.jpg

Dubset will use a technology called MixBank to analyze a remix or DJ mix file, identify existing recordings within the file, pay the necessary rights holders, and distribute the mix through Apple Music and other streaming services. The process can take about 15 minutes for a 60-minute recording.
But licensing remixes and DJ mixes, both based on original recordings, is incredibly complex. A single mix could have upward of 600 different rights holders. According to CEO Stephen White, a typical mix has 25 to 30 songs that require payments to 25 to 30 record labels and anywhere from two to ten publishers for each track. [...]

MixBank matches the recordings used in the remix or DJ mix against a database of three-audio snippets from Gracenote, where White was CEO prior to joining Dubset. He says fingerprinting is a "brute force" tool that can provide MixBand with up to 100 possible matches for each three-second match.
The rise in popularity of the EDM genre has resulted in an increasing number of user-generated remixes, mash-ups, and DJ mixes of popular songs, and this partnership will help bring those underground tracks to Apple Music and potentially "all 400 distributors worldwide" in the future, said White.

Dubset will retain a percentage of revenue for providing in-house licensing and pay the DJ or remixer a share of that amount. The service "allows everyone to make money on this content for the first time," according to White. The digital distributor has agreements with over 14,000 labels and publishers.

In related news, Beats 1 recently announced that popular EDM artist deadmau5 will host his own show this Friday at 3:00 p.m. Pacific.

Article Link: Apple Music Becomes First Streaming Service to Include Underground DJ Remixes and Mashups

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is cool, but how does a remix have 30 songs. When I was a young fool and DJ'ed, I had three turntables and could therefore mix up to three. But usually I had song that I played and then just layered in sound from 1 other. The third was meant for beat mixing in the next song. Unless we are talking about doing a 30 or 60 minute recording, the 30 song remix seems amazing for a 3 to 10 minute song.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
This is cool, but how does a remix have 30 songs. When I was a young fool and DJ'ed, I had three turntables and could therefore mix up to three. But usually I had song that I played and then just layered in sound from 1 other. The third was meant for beat mixing in the next song. Unless we are talking about doing a 30 or 60 minute recording, the 30 song remix seems amazing for a 3 to 10 minute song.

You are confusing mixes with remixes.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Is this DJ guy 13 years old or what?

This is an informative article and that's your only comment?:rolleyes:

As for me, I'm not an EDM aficionado but I do have about two DJ-mix CD's in my collection; I'm looking forward to this especially because I knew how difficult (because of licensing) this was for the streaming services.

Great job Apple!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
You are confusing mixes with remixes.
You are probably right. I don't even want to tell you how long ago I was dJ'ing so I am very out of touch with the world. Back in my day, DJs were workers, now they are stars and performers. Anyway, could you elucidate me on the difference? Thanks!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This is too funny. I had a similar conversation with my 16 year old the other day. Apparently, what you and I think of as a remix has been renamed a mashup. What they call a remix can last for hours and blend 10, 20, 30 songs into one long montage. I've seen remixes on youtube that run 2+ hours.

We're getting old.:D

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is too funny. I had a similar conversation with my 16 year old the other day. Apparently, what you and I think of as a remix has been renamed a mashup. What they call a remix can last for hours and blend 10, 20, 30 songs into one long montage. I've seen remixes on youtube that run 2+ hours.

We're getting old.:D
Is 69 your Age? :p

I am not there yet, but I am getting uncomfortably close. To be clear my youngest is 23. :eek:

I can't continue this conversation, my arthritis is kicking in. :D

desiinto

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
Toronto
This is really great. Apple's EDM offerings on Beats 1 have been stellar with One Mix, Eric Prydz, Skrillex and now this. Love it! Clearly Apple is focused on creating some solid content for Beats 1. I do hope they focus on such original shows with some focus on rock music. So far its Hip Hop, Rap and EDM and Elton's Show which is a mix of pop and alternative

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
You are probably right. I don't even want to tell you how long ago I was dJ'ing so I am very out of touch with the world. Back in my day, DJs were workers, now they are stars and performers. Anyway, could you elucidate me on the difference? Thanks!

The sheer amount of music that can be mixed, remixed and mashed up now with programs like DJAY, Virtual DJ, Rane etc is incredible...and some of these mashups are live, but also done with editing software allowing you to layers sounds, alter keys/tempos, and make combinations that would be almost impossible with just 2 turntables and classic vinyl. Think of Photoshop for Music.....I love mashups, and that is where you can tell a true musical artist from a Good DJ or an internet "Spinner". Some of the live DJ's do incredible things with just a laptop and a controller....even old school vinyl DJ's use a laptop now for the most part because it takes the skill they developed old school and allows them to be almost unlimited in what they can do. With samples, beat matching, key matching effects etc, it is amazing to see, as well as DJAY integration with Spotify to have access to all that music....but I still love watching old skool DJ footage of a true DJ with 2 records and a mixer...incredible...but do not discredit the amount of skill still needed to be a "scratching" and performing DJ....you still need to know music, keys, beats etc to pull off a good mix.

Just watch some of the youtube vids on what you can do with a basic controller, iPad and DJAY....amazing.

Reactions: chrisbru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.