Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I am a bit confused about the Apple music rating system. I am not talking about radio but listening to full albums on Apple Music in iTunes on Mac or Windows.

I used to think the only option to tell Apple you liked a particular song or album was to click the ellipsis menu "..." on the right side of an individual song near the + sign and the length of the song. You have to mouse over a song to see it. If you click it there's an option to "love" the song.

Then I noticed if you mouse over a song to the left of the song name and track number there's a heart icon.

These two options seem to be independent as if I love a song it doesn't make the heart appear, and if I heart a song it doesn't make the love option appear "checked off" in the menu.

I notice that if I choose "get info" on a song which I have loved, there's a little heart filled in inside the "get info" screen, but this does not affect the heart on the left side.

Can anybody explain to me the difference between the heart button and the love option in Apple Music?

Last edited:

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Hm the left is definitely song not album because it shows the hearted songs in the playlist.

The right seems to be song too because if you click the "..." button and then love a song, it only shows for that song and you can toggle it on and off for that song.

They are definitely two different features but I have no idea what the difference in functionality is.

Also via the "..." on the right you can "dislike" a song as well as love it.

Ok as of now I noticed that if I click the heart the the left the "love" option is checked in the "..." menu but if I love a song in the "..." menu it doesn't make the heart appear.

Is the heart on the left purely visual?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.