Apple NEEDS an iPhone with bigger screen size to silence critics.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radiating, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Radiating, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

Radiating macrumors 65816

Edit: to be very very clear, I am suggesting Apple release two different iPhone in the next generation. A small and a large one.

I personally believe that the iPhone 5 is by far the best phone you can get for my purposes and has ideal dimensions. A 4" screen is the maximum size that is appropriate for holding with one hand, with my hand my thumb reaches the opposite corner of the screen perfectly while holding it in the natural position. Above all else I really enjoy using my phone in a manner that is fast and seamless and I need something that is "agile" and minimalist for my style of use.

However, I've noticed that a growing number of people have this obsessive desire for a bigger screen on their phones. They will have nothing less than a phone with a 4.8" screen.

I believe that for Apple to continue to be a great company it needs to play the game where the market is. When Apple stops doing that, they risk shrinking and losing their edge. Less business means less innovation, less innovation means worse products. Apple must corner more of the market, not a niche.

Anyways, here's my proposed list of features for the iPhone 5 Pro

5" screen

Unibody design/construction which is also lighter and thinner than the GS3

1740x960 resolution (1.5 times the iPhone 5 resolution, allowing it to use the same apps with scaling)

Better in every measurable way than the GS3 by a significant margin (battery life, screen quality, camera) (excluding for software features, removable storage, removable battery and NFC).

Apple can easily do this, and they must do this.

2. darster Suspended

If Apple starts doing this, they will become no different than Samsung with a million different models. You lay 5 different phones on a table, from different vendors, including Apple, and ask people to identify the brand. 90% will be able to identify an iPhone. Most will not be able to to tell you which one is a Motorola, which one is a Samsung, which one is an LG or which one is an HTC. That's why those brands have to put their name on the front of their phone, and why Apple does not. Apple does not have to match the others to compete. The others have to match Apple.

3. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

As soon as Apple starts chasing the market, they've lost.

4. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I will never buy an iPhone again if its 5" WAYYY too big. I thought for years 3.5 was perfect , now with a 4" you can view web a lot better and some apps. No more than 4" PLEASE

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Sleep through the iPad Mini launch?

6. darster Suspended

And the mini, IMO, will be a disaster over the long haul.

7. Sermon macrumors regular

Look at the sales figures. I don't think they need a bigger iPhone.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

For me the iphone 5 reaches the limit of screen size I'm happy with.

If Apple went any larger then i wouldn't be in the market for the next upgrade.

9. AFDoc, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

No they don't. The millions and millions of devices they sell is what quiets the critics.

I would certainly buy a larger screened iPhone even though I do love the i5.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I wished they would have made the screen wider rather than just longer but there are far too many "critics" who wanted the screen to stay tiny like the 4 and 4S.

11. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

i didn't think i'd be happy with the screen size but it actually is pretty perfect.. I went from a 4.3'' down to the iP5 4''.

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

silencing critics doesn't make anybody money.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Emails, web browsing, reading, multimedia, photos, games > thumb reaching opposite end of screen.

Which is why 4" screen isn't enough.

Yeah, look at apples sales, right? I'm sure they would still sell out in record time if a 4.3" - 4.8" screen was introduced and people would love the extra screen real estate just like they do now with the half inch bump.

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I don't doubt that people would buy a larger screen iPhone, and thats fine.

For me personally I've used phones with larger screens for a short while, and they are not to my own liking.

Choice is beautiful !! ;)

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

A "larger" iPhone is exactly why I'm getting the iPm. I want a larger device for palying, surfing and general all around use. The iPm is now that product for me. I didn't use my iPad much 1. because the kids are typically using it 2. because I would mostly use it in bed to check mail, fb, play some games (just finished CSR racing.... kick butt game IMHO) and the iPad was to big and heavy to hold above me as I lay on my back. I had it slip out of my hand several times and ended up with an iPad to the face lol.

Now I wouldn't want a phone that big ala Note 2 but I surely wouldn't mind a screen the size of the S3's.

16. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

can't wait to get my ipad for gaming... :D games should be played on the ipad or laptop not ipod touch or a smartphone IMO..

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

OP, no one cares anymore (not even me - as much as I consider the 4" skinny screen a FAIL). It took Apple 5 years to go 4". They're done. And appear to be done with the OS as well.

18. alexander25 macrumors regular

19. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Agreed

20. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Max size I would buy is 4.3". Any larger and it just becomes ridiculous. I'm fine with 4" for now.

Apple is still selling so many iPhones that they can't keep up with demand so don't expect them to change up anything in effort to chase a market segment that they don't need to. As of right now none of those larger phones are outselling the iPhone so Apple has no need to increase the size to satisfy a small market segment. If sales slow down or become threatened by large 4.8-5" displays, that's when you might see Apple change the screen size. No one cares about silencing critics since that doesn't make money for the company.

21. torana355 macrumors 68020

Every dog has its day, i remember when Nokia was untouchable too.... Apple can only cash in on the Apple name for so long. The trend towards larger phones has already started with many of my mates that had the iphone4 planning on moving to the SG4, new Nexus phone or a HTC. All the people that said 3.5" was the perfect size are now saying 4" is the perfect size, if Apple release a 5" iphone it will be the next perfect size, its amazing how people change their mind depending on what Apple release hey.

22. meechy macrumors 6502

4" is the perfect size for a phone. I think if they go up to 4.3" it will be OK too.

I used to own a Galaxy note, while it's a great phone it's far too big to use comfortably. My thumb used to get sore with all the stretching trying to reach parts of the screen.

23. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

well the iPad mini HAS been in works for a while to be fair
    http://www.slashgear.com/steve-jobs-secretly-very-receptive-to-ipad-mini-06241823/
    so they're not chasing the market, it's just a late entry. They pretty much have the tablet market locked down. Apparently this was around December 2010/January 2011 which is a few months before the iPad 2 released and before this 7in market started

24. LoloBond macrumors 6502

It would be interesting to see where you go... everything 'good' its bigger than 4".

25. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Honestly I don't see the point of these huge phones, if I wanted a tablet I would buy a tablet and not have to pay $130 a month for it. I want a phone that doesn't have all these shovelware, unnecessary, bs features if it's not easily memorable. I want to text, call, and browse the net simply, if I have to look for it that means the phone has failed me.