Apple Needs to Advertise

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I would suggest leaving out the spyware/virus section out. We don't really want to bring on an onslaught of attempted viral attack due to the advertisement.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
angelneo said:
I would suggest leaving out the spyware/virus section out. We don't really want to bring on an onslaught of attempted viral attack due to the advertisement.
I still think there is more too it . One being we have to enter our admin password for everything. I have a feeling if i could be done easily someone would have already tackled it. Problem being the more Apple advertises no viruses/spyware then that becomes one less incentive to sell .Mac with.

jon

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
I think it's a case of burnt fingers. I don't think they want to go down the rocky route of the Switcher campaign; a format that lended itself easily to parody, but with little reward. WRT the mini, they are trying to avoid association with non-universally accepted Cube. I'm wondering whether they are waiting to establish a reliable market footing with the new mini/shuffle/iMac as well as the potential pre-Longhorn scalping success of Tiger, then they have a full range with which they can welcome anyone into the brand.

Furthermore their financial results seem to be doing well enough; the market and investors seem to be happy.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
show the damn operating system, heck they could do shot of a mouse runninging allong a dock clicking on apps so they all bounce in time and all launch at the same time and then tab between them, heck one of them could be a windows emulator :eek: or word or any other application that pc users are ignorent to, one could even be world of warcraft in a window, then an exposé shot, doing that would defiantly leave a wow factor.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
The real reason they can't advertise is simple, really : they have nothing to sell.

Apple's own website has a three-week-long backorder for the mini, and I shudder to think of what indy mac shops have for their ship times.

The Powermac was until recently shipping in limited quantities, and then, without the promised high-end video cards.

The Powerbooks are nothing to write home about, let alone spend money on ad campaign about. Maybe once Freescale 8461s are in there, they can get another ad.

The iMac has actually seen some advertising- for a time, I couldn't pick up a magazine and not see an iMac ad.

And the eMac and iBook are so far behind that they are better of left in the dark depths of Appledom. Hopefully, after the Powerbooks are updated to a different processor (8461/970), they will update the eMac and iBooks with faster CPUs, and if we're *really* lucky, GPUs.

So advertise? We're lucky they even do as much as they do. The products are ancient or not shipping. Advertising would only make us look bad or add to the lines. :(

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
x86isslow said:
The real reason they can't advertise is simple, really : they have nothing to sell.

Apple's own website has a three-week-long backorder for the mini, and I shudder to think of what indy mac shops have for their ship times.

The Powermac was until recently shipping in limited quantities, and then, without the promised high-end video cards.

The Powerbooks are nothing to write home about, let alone spend money on ad campaign about. Maybe once Freescale 8461s are in there, they can get another ad.

The iMac has actually seen some advertising- for a time, I couldn't pick up a magazine and not see an iMac ad.

And the eMac and iBook are so far behind that they are better of left in the dark depths of Appledom. Hopefully, after the Powerbooks are updated to a different processor (8461/970), they will update the eMac and iBooks with faster CPUs, and if we're *really* lucky, GPUs.

So advertise? We're lucky they even do as much as they do. The products are ancient or not shipping. Advertising would only make us look bad or add to the lines. :(
Do you even like your Mac? Just kidding. You're just not giving them credit where credit is due. Mac offers a clean, complete user platform for all of your computer needs. I've been in the PC world all my life and have built many of my own desktop machines. In fact my current 64-bit AMD creation really flies. Based on "performance benchmarks" a dual processor G5 has a tough time keeping pace with this beast. But do I have a complete solution? Not even close. What good is a machine without it's operating system. Microsoft has so crippled the PC market that Macs don't need to compete on that level. They've shown us a more sophisticated approach to finding a viable solution. I just purchased my 12 in iBook and, although it didn't come stock with "knock your socks off performance", it is a complete package for my portable needs. My Centrino based laptop is still in the family. It has just been passed down the line of users.

Could Apple do an effective ad campaign for more of its products? Absolutely. It's approach would be a bit different than PC makers. For instance, there used to be a speed war between Intel and AMD before AMD got smart and looked at frontside bus and other more important parts of a processor. This forced IBM to re-evaluate its processing objectives and focus its attention on other performance enhancing factors. If Apple wants to start something it just needs to be careful to do it on its own terms. Advertise the complete package, the solution to the Microsoft shackles we've sported for far too long.

This is just my opinion but if you think the systems are slow and underperformering you may be technically right ... and then again, you may also be technically wrong. This is merely half of the equation. The consumer needs to be shown how to look at the big picture. Mac offers a solution while PCs tend to offer nothing but problems.

Neerazan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
London, UK
It's coming...

I'm gonna buy a Mac mini, I decided that the day it came out, but I'm gonna wait until Tiger comes out before I do.

Several friends who are all PC users at the moment are going to switch to the mini as well, but are waiting for Tiger, and several are hoping for a revision to the mini around the same time (WWDC perhaps?).

Apple can't make minis fast enough to sell them via magazine reviews and word of mouth, why on Earth would they spend good money upsetting new customers (switchers) by promoting a product that takes a month to turn up once you order it via their online store, and by default comes with half the memory that they have put in every single review machine they have sent out?

Right now the Mac mini is in a place similar to the 1st gen iPod, it is a truly amazing bit of kit, but just wait a few months, see the word of mouth sales pick up, ramp up production on version two, and then kick in the advertising campaign.

I for one would much prefer my PC using friends' first experience with Apple to be a truly positive one, with a short lead time and a minimum spec. machine that gives a truly great OSX experience. Not promoting the mini right now is the right thing to do, summer will capture parts of the education market, as well as allow for Tiger to be bundled with the mini, and possibly a revision to the hardware.

CallMeCookie

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Belgium
I thought I read the entire production of mini macs is selling out ?... maybe they should wait with advertising until demand fades or when production gets up to speed...

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
CallMeCookie said:
I thought I read the entire production of mini macs is selling out ?... maybe they should wait with advertising until demand fades or when production gets up to speed...
Good point about the Mac Mini. Also waiting a bit for Tiger makes a lot of sense as well. Otherwise you'd have a lot of dissappointed Mac owners who wish they would have waited only a few weeks/months or so.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I've yet to see adverts for:

iMac G5
Mac Mini
Shuffle (!!!)
Any version of OSX

All Apple want to advertise is iPods. Apple need to realise that not everyone:

* has an apple store close by
* internet access to view Apple.com
* realise apple still make computers
OR their computers are not for home use (i..e, due to price )

Apple need to advertise their computers more and not just rely on iPods. Apple's efforts in advertising its non apple products is absolutely dire.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
Stella said:
I've yet to see adverts for:

iMac G5
Mac Mini
Shuffle (!!!)
Any version of OSX

All Apple want to advertise is iPods. Apple need to realise that not everyone:

* has an apple store close by
* internet access to view Apple.com
* realise apple still make computers
OR their computers are not for home use (i..e, due to price )

Apple need to advertise their computers more and not just rely on iPods. Apple's efforts in advertising its non apple products is absolutely dire.

Ummm Helllooo the Shuffle IS an iPod and i see Shuffle collercials everyday.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Apple do need to get their butt in gear with advertising, but, there's little point in them doing that when they can't even deliver products to current customers in a reasonable time frame.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
I see Macs advertised all the time. They're in about every T.V. show that's on the air these days. But,yes, a Tiger commercial showing actual features would be a wise move.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Hector said:
(snip) one could even be world of warcraft in a window, then an exposé shot, doing that would defiantly leave a wow factor.
Hahaha, a "WoW" factor, good one. ;)

You mean, Exposé even does its thing with full-screen apps? (or do you mean you're playing WoW in a window?!?) :confused:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
MacFan782040 said:
Ummm Helllooo the Shuffle IS an iPod and i see Shuffle collercials everyday.
UMM, HELLO!!
Yes I realise the Shuffle is an iPod hence I put !!!! in brackets next to it.

Well, I've YET to see an Shuffle advert. Remember, the adverts you may get in the US aren't shown all around the world. Another reason why Apple need to advertise more - in more countries.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iJon said:
I still think there is more too it . One being we have to enter our admin password for everything. I have a feeling if i could be done easily someone would have already tackled it. Problem being the more Apple advertises no viruses/spyware then that becomes one less incentive to sell .Mac with.

jon

No. And for a couple reasons. First Apple unlike MS hasn't been snobby about their OS or their market stance. This kind of attitude just eggs on the virus/worm writers of the world.
Secondly there has always been a barrier to entry on the Mac platform. Its not like you can walk down to CompUSA and build your own Mac. A new Mac is expensive and even a used one on e-bay is still spendy. With the new minis the Mac is in a position of hitting a point where a Mac could be used as a door stop and it wouldn't hurt the wallet all that hard. Any two bit malware writer could pick one up and start playing around with X.
Also just because you have to enter a password doesn't mean people won't do it. All those e-mail worms out there don't auto execute. The idiot user has to open the e-mail, run the attachment, ignore the warning from Lookout that this could be a bad thing, and bam. You are infected. If someone can be that dumb someone can be stupid enough to enter a password.
But it really does come down to bragging in the end. If you start putting the red flag in front of the bull he will charge.

If you tout it.........they will come.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Stella said:
Well, I've YET to see an Shuffle advert. Remember, the adverts you may get in the US aren't shown all around the world. Another reason why Apple need to advertise more - in more countries.

I don't know what you are talking about. Since its release I've seen at least a dozen shuffle ads. They are all over the dang place. I’ve seen and heard the ad so much I picked up the tune on the ad last night. “Jerk it out”

milzay

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2003
I don't know what you are talking about. Since its release I've seen at least a dozen shuffle ads. They are all over the dang place. I’ve seen and heard the ad so much I picked up the tune on the ad last night. “Jerk it out”
The guy implied he wasnt from USA and i agree with him. Apple may advertise a lot in the USA, but i live in England and have yet to see iPod shuffle advertised. And you can't use the excuse its because Apple cant meet demand, because even when they can they don't advertise, iMac G5. Educate people without patronising them and advertise. Ive sold more Apple products then Appl advertising in the UK has.
Apple need to sort out their advertising dept. becuase it honestly sucks.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
ldburroughs said:
Do you even like your Mac? Microsoft has so crippled the PC market that Macs don't need to compete on that level. They've shown us a more sophisticated approach to finding a viable solution. I just purchased my 12 in iBook and, although it didn't come stock with "knock your socks off performance", it is a complete package for my portable needs. My Centrino based laptop is still in the family. It has just been passed down the line of users.

Could Apple do an effective ad campaign for more of its products? Absolutely. This is just my opinion but if you think the systems are slow and underperformering you may be technically right ... and then again, you may also be technically wrong. This is merely half of the equation. The consumer needs to be shown how to look at the big picture. Mac offers a solution while PCs tend to offer nothing but problems.
Really good points. The poster whom you quote either is NOT a Mac user or is a troll since the comments are all opinion, missing facts.
Apple does need to advertise and it is hard to know why, after a successful original iMac campaign, they have remained so quiet. It is true that they are on back order of some items but Apple like most companies basically buil-to-order in any case, and an onslaught of orders would give them and their suppliers the green light to up production. As it is, they do not want a stock-pile sitting about. Unique to Apple is that the company has only a small line of computers so that, unlike Dell, you don't have one product that can easily be substituted for another. From my experience, Apple buyers seem to have a computer in mind when going into the store and will wait for that model rather than substitute. My Wintel colleagues just go in to get a new computer, vary rarely a model, let alone a brand, in mind. Thus, shortages will likely remain on Apple's "bad" list until it is clear that they are no longer on the flat part of the rising S curve.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
SiliconAddict said:
I'm NOT in the US.. as I hinted at in my second post and you only need to look at the location on user information to the left of the posts - "Toronto, Canada". You do realise Canada isn't apart of the US don't you?!!!! (And we don't get all US adverts ( thank God ))

As I say again, just because the US gets Apple related adverts doesn't mean the rest of the world does!!!

How hard is that to understand?

@milzay Thank you

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Seriously, Apple do such little advertising here in the UK or some of Europe.
I have yet to see one Shuffle ad and the only imac ad i have seen is one in a magazine.
I know with the Mini they are hard to meet demand but they could at least just show people what it is, again even in the Regent street store it isn't even clear that the Mini is actually a full computer...it looks like a external cd-rw or something or external hd, to the average windoze-ipod-owners.
If you have it, flaunt it. Apple need to flaunt it more.
With the Powermac/Powerbooks being aimed at pro's there is not much point of advertising it. No excuse for the commercial Mini and imac and ibook, although the emac should be left alone (kidding)