Apple needs to make the iPhone 5 glass like automotive glass and the back like kitche

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

n utility stainless steel.

Reason being is that auto glass never scratches. It gets ROCK CHIPS. That way no worries.

It's so irresponsible of apple to release a product that has glass that scratches.

Scientifically, it's hard to scratch glass in its natural state.

Metal is hard to scratch as well if the paint is thick and good quality.

In Dubai Lexus uses paint that can withstand keying, rock chips, etc. it's lead based but excellent and durable.

The metal needs to be like our refrigerators and microwaves. Nice stainless steel.

Then i will respect the "legendary" apple more

But if you think of it. More broken phones means more profits. So I'm not surprised.

Thanks apple.

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Never used a screen protector on any of the three iPhones I use and haven't experienced a single scratch on my displays despite carrying it in pockets and stuffed into messenger bags/backpacks.

I suspect you either need to stop carrying raw diamonds in your pockets or just learn to take better care if your iPhone if you are having issues with your corningware enforced glass getting damaged.

3. Bahroo, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012

Bahroo macrumors 68000

Its a ****ing phone bro not a car that would be extremely expensive for them to do. You handle your phone more then anything else of course it will get the most wear And tear out of Anything

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The glass on your iphone isn't what usually scratches its the coating on the glass. As for your car it's usually laminated glass and it does scratch you just don't pay enough attention or sit a foot away from it looking for them!

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

With regard to stainless steel, all finishes whether mirrored, brushed or plain are scratched easily when handled, as a phone would be.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They use Gorilla glass...very scratch resistant. Have you not seen the scratch tests on he iPhone glass?

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Automotive glass can scratch, but the reason people don't notice small scratches is that its transparent and never as close you phone is. I would rather a small scratch than a big rock chip. Automotive glass is considerably thicker than the phone screens.

I have stainless steel sinks in my kitchen and they are scratched as well.

America banned lead paint due to the toxic effects of exposure to people and the environment.

8. KandyKane macrumors 6502

This is obviously a troll post?

Agree with above user.
    Automotive glass scratches easily, just put your face to it the same distance you'd hold your phone. When was the last time you inspected your windshield at 5 inches with different lighting and angles?
    Stainless steel looks very ugly when scratched, I had a dishwasher and the door looked really bad.
    And who wants to walk around with lead in their pocket??

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

LOL, hate to burst OP's bubble, but automotive glass most certainly does scratch. Run your wiper dry with no fluid, rub that dust and road grime around and tell me it doesn't scratch.!

10. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Not only all the things listed above, but auto glass is as thick as the entire iPhone 5 (or 4 for that matter) so that's not really going to work.

And all glass is not the same. Different kinds and amounts of minerals and treatments give the glass different properties. Some are more scratch resistant and more brittle, some soft and compliant. Then as mentioned, the coatings scratch. If there was a magic glass and coating that would not scratch and was cheap enough to be used in cars, surely Apple would use it.

11. richmds macrumors regular

Try using your finger on your windshield for a few minutes the friction will make it hot, different kind of glass.
    If you had to do this all day I guarantee your finger would have no skin left.
    Different glass for different purposes.

edit : looks like Sherifftruman had similar info.

12. skidbubble macrumors 6502

There has been no confirmation that the iPhone uses Gorilla Glass.

13. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Lead based paint is prohibited in the US, and I believe in the UK as well.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Lead is one of the risk factors for cancer and causes a host of other health risks. I think I'd rather have the scratches than poor health. Just saying. :rolleyes:

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You need to try pretty hard to scratch the glass.

16. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The glass now, iPhone 5, is pretty hard to scratch.

As for the aluminum on the back which obviously scratch easily, apple decided to use it still as it allows the signal to go through easily and it's lighter.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

Sorry, just me but too many people report scratches from doing exactly what you are doing. So either your phone is cased and screen protected or you're just not aware of the scratches.

----------

The glass now is no different than the 4S, 4, 3GS. It will scratch and without trying too hard.