Apple not signing 3.1.2 or earlier firmware? (or Have I been living in a cave?).

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by -aggie-, Mar 23, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I haven't been paying much attention to jailbreaking in awhile, since I was waiting for the new iPhone to jailbreak my 3G finally. However, I decided to downgrade my 3G from 3.0.1 to 3.0 to see if 3.0.1 might be affecting my GPS and wifi in some way. At any rate, I did the same thing I've done numerous time to downgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.0/3.0.1 and after I was unable to get it to restore without going back to DFU mode and restoring to 3.1.2.

So, I started looking for info and came across the "Apple is not signing 3.1.2" stuff. I had thought this was only a problem for the 3GS. Other sites said Apple is not signing anything before 3.1.3.

Anyway, is this why my downgrade got FUBAR'ed? Is it true that Apple is signing the firmware for the 3G as well?

FYI, I've been able to downgrade without jailbreaking in the past. I know I could jailbreak and do this, but I wanted to know if Apple has done something to keep me from doing the process I used before.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its just for the 3GS models.
    The 3G and 2G dont have those firmware signature checks.

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I could have sworn I saw it checking last night. I'm hoping it was due to me trying to downgrade on my Mac. I'll do the PC tonight.

Why did they only pick on the 3GS's?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I guess they didnt care as much for the previous models beeing JB or loading custom or earlier firmware. :)

5. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

TheSpaz would say they don't care about the 3G any more (he's probably correct).

I totally disagree with this policy of Apple's. Essentially, someone could upgrade their OS, find it runs worse (it's not like Apple is putting out great OS versions lately), and not be able to go back. It's almost criminal.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    You should have the option to load an older version firmware if you'd like and not be stuck updating to the latest OS version that might not be as stable or bug free like previous versions.