Apple not updating its own store computers with 10.5.2 5 days later? - see pic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jtimleck, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jtimleck macrumors newbie

I thought this was weird - just ran Software Update on an Apple Store iMac at Towson, MD - um, it didn't have 10.5.2 installed five days after it was released publicly - that seems a little weird to me....what gives?

[​IMG]

2. Fahrwahr macrumors member

I found the same at an Apple Store in the South (as far as not having 10.5.2). The store had considerable foot traffic, so perhaps they don't set aside time to keep the machines up-to-date.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I'm guessing because the display computer wasn't experiencing any of the bugs that 10.5.2 fixed, so they haven't bothered "fixing" what wasn't broken, especially since it isn't really used for anything that would ultimately result in buggy behavior?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Not really a surprise. It has been my experience that they often wait a week or so, or until the next hardware revision. If they are waiting for the next hardware revision, that should lead credence to the belief that update are coming sooner, rather than later.

TEG

5. Spievy macrumors regular

6. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

That looks like it hasnt been updated in about 2 weeks. Thats a failure on the management and their merchandising. WHen it comes down to it Apple STores are still just retail. Retailers will always have their stores that are totally on the ball and some just dont even know what a ball is.

Kevin :apple:

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There was more to the 10.5.2 update than a few bug fixes.

That's a good sign of impending hardware updates imho.

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You guys don't even know why this is - those computers are set up to boot from clean wipe images every time they're restarted - to keep people from ****ing them up. Thusly, the clean boot image has to be updated with 10.5.2, not just a simple install through software update. Who cares, really.

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Yes, but they're mostly things that probably won't affect display models or the average "just trying it out" customer.

Everything's a sign of impending hardware updates, lately...

That would make sense. I'm not sure what the big deal is, either. On a display model, it's not really going to matter what version of Leopard is running as long the features most customers check out are not ****ed up on it.

10. jtimleck thread starter macrumors newbie

well actually I care... since updating I can't sleep my computer without crashing - Mac Stores are in fact retail and they certainly do have the ability to
    a) autowipe them all the time and
    b) to see that the most up to date software - the one they are hawking at people - is out there and being used.

It's also logical for them to wait and see what problems the masses have before installing updates on their own (and they can't have 10.5.2 install and the system profiler show a lower system - it's installed or it's not). It just begs the question to us folk having issues of whether or not in practice do they "test it out" more on the public before chancing the same issues on their flag ship models (if it was my business I'd probably do it the same way)

11. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I think that's jumping to an awful lot of conclusions. Most of us don't have many problems with the software updates (I haven't had any trouble at all with 10.5.2) and I don't think it's an issue of them wanting the masses to "test it out" first before putting it on the display models.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i think you're being a little too cynical here. From as long as i can remember, Apple stores rarely update their systems immediately. In fact it might take a month before they do.

I think you're only thinking this way because of the problems you're having and are obviously looking for someone to blame, which is fine, after all Apple did create these updates. But at the same time i don't think they create it for you to beta test or to spite you in anyway. IIRC, these update were severely delayed because they wanted to get it right before release.

PS i don't have any issues with 10.5.2 thus far

13. jtimleck thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all for the replies - I wasn't trying to come across that cynical, lol - I just thought it was kind of odd. As for guinea pigs? Clearly that's MS Vista's turf now isn't it :D - peace out...

14. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

They use Apple Remote Desktop to wipe the image each night. They have to wait for the Mother Ship to send them the latest master DVD to do this off of. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks for Apple to compile, test and distribute this new update to the stores, then they all update one night in sync.

Rather simple. Remember, retail ops is no more privy to software updates than we are. They must wait as well. Once released they do their thing to make the visitor experience a good one then distribute the DVDs to the stores.