Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Just got off the phone. I have to return the strap AND watch. She recommended I visit an apple store (1hour away and no guarantee of stock). She also said I'll have to return the whole watch and strap at the store as well. So not sure why some folks have had success just exchanging the strap.

well they did actually make me return both, they just sold me the same watch again. which caused all sorts of problems - my trade-in was cancelled and the package was already on its way back to apple.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Just got a cryptic email to call 1-800-MY-APPLE as soon as possible to discuss my order, subject was "Regarding Apple Watch Band Size Change" and the email address it came form looks to be an internal mailing list group, amr_apple_watch_band_size_change. Called in and explained why I was calling, was told they were submitting to the back end team to get me a replacement band sent out, then the reps computer froze up and I'm waiting on her to call back.

Meanwhile, the return of my wife's standalone braided loop that was too big is now showing its not been mailed and the shipping label/tracking number seemingly changed, despite it being delivered to Apple this afternoon.

This whole launch has been a massive cluster.

UPDATE: Got a call back and she was able to complete the request. Turns out I'll have to wait 10 days for the "back-end team" to reach out with a return label. I then have to send my size 10 band back; when they receive it, they'll send out my size 9 band. I then asked about the botched return of my wife's band; she took the tracking number the app originally provided and I shipped the band back with, as well as the returning number and order number and told me the back end team would work on that within 10 days as well. She was exceedingly polite and as helpful as she could be, but I ended the call assuming I'll have to call back on at least one of the issues.

Last edited:

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2016
Apple is requiring me to send everything back. Thinking about buying a size smaller (Atlantic Blue Braided Solo Loop - Size 10) and selling my current one (Atlantic Blue Braided Solo Loop - Size 11). Anyone want to trade? Or buy a size 11?

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
When I was at my local store (today) doing a size return on loops I had purchased separately, I was asked by one of the Apple reps if I would participate in the new solo and braid sizing survey they were conducting. From what the rep said, a lot of people using the Apple print out did not get good results, compared to using the sizing tool in the store, not to mention trying on in store.

I think Apple will have a new procedure next year, and a much more accessible guide to sizing for the masses.

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I can confirm, much ado about nothing.

I ordered a 44 inch with Solo loop on launch day. I received it on Friday. I found that I had measured wrong. I thought my left wrist would be the same as my right wrist. Wrong! But the printed measuring is accurate. When I tried it on my left wrist, the measurement turned out to be correct for the band size I needed. Per other advice such as Gruber: If your measurement falls on the line between two sizes choose the lower one for a snug fit.

Anyhow I called Apple and they referred me to the local store. I called the local store and spoke to a very nice woman who said yes just come on down we have plenty and it’s an easy swap. Sure enough I went down there and they had a procedure. It was a little tricky because they have SKUs that are set up to be both band and watch together. In order to handle that within their system, they have you return the watch on the spot and issue a gift card and then turn right back around with that gift card and re-buy the same watch but give you a different band. So the complication is all on their end, but the end result for the customer is that you can just get whatever band fits. They even brought out their own band fitting /test kit so I could try on several bands until I found the one that fit best. They were great. Took about 5-10 minutes.

If you are in doubt and want a great fit, just buy in store. They have test fit kits for both Solo loop and Braided loop. Lots in stock in my store and lots of the popular watch models like space gray and blue aluminum.

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
I did the tape measure method and called Apple. They will email return label and once they receive my band, they will send correct size.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Agreed. But they’re fixing it fairly quickly. That’s a good thing.

Now wait for the wave of people complaining that they only get the replacement band they’re entitled to and not the extra freebies the original poster mentioned.
Yes unlike the carriers who can't have Watch IMEIs loaded on time after like FOUR years of it happening!

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
In order to handle that within their system, they have you return the watch on the spot and issue a gift card and then turn right back around with that gift card and re-buy the same watch but give you a different band. So the complication is all on their end, but the end result for the customer is that you can just get whatever band fits

if you have a trade-in pending this process cancels the trade-in. which would be fine, if they a) mentioned it and b) the customer has not already sent in the watch for trade-in.

so the complication is not all on their end depending on what they forget to tell you lol

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes unlike the carriers who can't have Watch IMEIs loaded on time after like FOUR years of it happening!

Hate it for the folks who've had trouble with Verizon/ATT, but gotta say I was pleased that moving my T-Mobile (US) service from my S5 watch to my S6 watch was trivially easy. Occurred during initial watch pairing, just clicked a couple buttons to confirm moving the plan vs. creating a new plan.

(Watch was purchased from Apple)

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
if you have a trade-in pending this process cancels the trade-in. which would be fine, if they a) mentioned it and b) the customer has not already sent in the watch for trade-in.

so the complication is not all on their end depending on what they forget to tell you lol

this sucks - they told me when my trade-in was cancelled to just go thru the "regular" phobio flow and then when i got the gift card, call in and they would apply it to the purchase. but it turns out that since the replacement purchase was made in a store, the web support team can't do the credit. i'd have to go into the store.

moot point tho since i just bought an iphone12, so i added the gift card to my account and then just used my apple account balance to partially pay for it. i do have another phobio apple watch trade pending so maybe i can have them apply that to the iphone12 purchase when the gift card comes thru. i understand that they can add a gift card to a purchase well after the purchase is made.

frostbit3

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I'm still waiting for my replacement solo loop. Apple shipped my additional sport band but I don't have the new size solo loop. It was supposed to be shipped last week but they finally updated it yesterday and it now says end of November/Early December, so 2 total months assuming it actually ships. Maybe I should have just stuck with ordering a new watch and returning the wrong fitting one.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
just to close out my stupid saga - i did get the gift card for the 2nd watch via email, so i added it to my apple account. turns out that was a mistake and sort of the same problem of store vs. online - in the store they could only redeem an unused gift card against a prior purchase. in the end they told me i could order a gift card online, pay with my balance, and have it shipped to the store, and then they could do the credit but at that point i gave up as it was way too complicated. eventually the balance will be used by my icloud/apple music subscriptions anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.