* Apple Offered to Upgrade my Faulty 3GS to 4S - Now saying they won't

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hamishIV, Jun 19, 2012.

1. hamishIV macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Here's the story so far;

I've had my 3GS replaced 4 times now due to various faults etc.

I got my replacement yesterday, that too had a fault and was somehow scratched even though Apple said as it was my 4th one, they would send me a "Brand New Replacement". On the contrary, this one was not, so I rang Apple Care and was put through to a senior adviser (who was brilliant btw).

After reading my notes he called me back and said that he would offer me a brand new 4s, to which I was very pleased. However, he has just called back and said that due to my iPhone being purchased in Singapore, he cannot replace it here in the UK.

Now it is my understanding that Apple Warranty is worldwide, I also thought this applied to AppleCare plans which I bought for the 3GS.

Is the Senior Adviser right in saying that he cannot make the upgrade as the iPhone is not a British one?

Thank you for reading

:apple:

2. 184550 Guest

While it's too bad the rep misspoke, it's my understanding that Apple warranty coverage is country specific.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I thought applecare was worldwide too.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

was the applecare purchased in the same country as the phone?

----------

No, overseas cover is included. with the following exception: "Apple may restrict service for iPad and iPhone to the EEA and Switzerland."

4. hamishIV thread starter macrumors newbie

The iphone belonged to my father. He purchased it in the UK online around 2 years ago.

It was then transferred to me 9 months in to the warranty. I then bought the AppleCare here in the Uk also.

One of the things I checked before purchasing AppleCare was the fact that the warranty was transferable and international. Both things which AppleCare ticked.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm assuming that with a brand new replacement, they're limited to the options that they sell in that country.

Normally for AppleCare support, you'd get a service repair unit, which they may have more flexibility with. (i.e. they can set it to whatever country it needs to be set before it leaves the service facility/Genius Bar).

However, if you want a spanking brand new one, it's not like they can open it before they send it to you (to set it to the correct country).

6. hamishIV thread starter macrumors newbie

That's quite understandable however when I bought my iPhone 3GS it was factory unlocked, I don't see why they can't just send out another Factory Unlocked 4S now that the 4S is a truly "World-Phone" in regards to GSM and CDMA.

7. hamishIV thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Apple senior adviser rang me again, was very helpful.

He has placed a hold on my Credit Card, and now, God willing, I should be receiving the iPhone by Friday.

I will keep you guys posted.

Very impressed with Apple so far.

:apple: