Apple offering iPhone 5S pre-orders in China starting September 17

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Relznuk, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Because pre-orders are an unnecessary hassle to deal with logistics wise when you are already behind schedule.

It's also better for Apple to take care of their customers who come to the store in person because they can then cross-sell them on other products.

3. Poly macrumors 6502

THIS is unfair -.-'

To the poster above: WTF?! Preorders are essential to everyone that does not have a retailer next to him and wants the phone on release.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Where does it state apple is behind schedule?

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

6. Poly macrumors 6502

Is there any Apple email address i can write a complaint to?

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

It's clearly all about the long lines on launch day. Using your own customers to create media hype. Best marketing there is.

9. user-name-here macrumors 65816

tcook@apple.com

Where does it state apple is trying to create media hype?

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Not allowing pre-orders will create even longer lines at apple stores on launch day. The media will be all over this.

Now where's this behind schedule thing you're talking about?

11. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Being behind schedule means they don't have enough inventory at this very moment to handle online pre-orders in addition to physical stores on launch day.

See? We can both speculate :)

You have a glass half-empty approach that it's because Apple wants media attention, while I have a glass half-full approach that it's because Apple doesn't have the inventory to cover both online pre-orders + physical stores on launch day.

12. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't need to deny people the opportunity to pre-order to generate long lines and buzz. Because I guarantee, the lines will have been huge for the 5S regardless of whether people pre-ordered or not. They always are. Consumers all around the world now regard new iPhone launch day with the same excitement as Christmas.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Fair enough.

Previous years, when apple had a certain amount available and all available pre-order inventory was spoken for, they'd just push the ship date back, 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc.. Why not have that option this year?

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

That's what I would do. I bet most online orders are for the phone only.

15. user-name-here macrumors 65816

You definitely have some great points, media attention is a big draw and it's hard for companies to turn down a once-per-year event like this to artificially hype things up. In fact here on macrumors there was a recent article about how tim cook wanted to sell more iPhones in Apple's retail stores in order to be a "gateway" drug to other apple products.
    And just so you know I think you are right, just that I wanted to play devil's advocate and balance things out a little ;)

16. Poly macrumors 6502

How bad that even most first wave countries, talking about germany here, have such a bad coverage of AppleStores!

17. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I agree, sucky. I guess you've gotta accept the bad with the good though when it comes to capitalism. For profit corporations are free to do as they wish to take care of their company and shareholders :/

At least we don't have to wait too long as long as we order it on the 20th. Even though I have an Apple store less than 6 miles away I plan to order mine online on the 20th and will simply wait a few days for it to get to my house. It's when you start getting the "I'VE GOTTA HAVE IT ON THE FIRST DAY OR I'M GONNA DIE!" blood fever that things start to get frustrating.

18. cmjars macrumors 6502

Wow am I pissed! Long time Apple Buyer and they reward the Chinese. I wonder how many more miss steps Tim will take before he gets replaced. I hope it's Ives who replaces him and gets Apple back on track.

19. Poly macrumors 6502

The 5S got me pumped AGAIN :D so i have this blood fever :/
    I'm probably gonna call all electronic supermarkets within 20miles on thursday and ask if they can guarantee having some phones on friday. Because if noone can tell, i'm going to order the phone at 1:01am CET(that's when orders start in germany).

20. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Duh! China Mobile has 740 MILLION CUSTOMERS!! You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

21. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Well they do build them for us. Seems only fair.

I think Ives does a great job (but I'm not sure he is CEO material). But I thing Tim is doing okay. Look at the opposition when the iPhone was launched. Rubbish Nokia or Blackberries.

Now Samsung and others have basically redesigned the iPhone and tweaked it, of course it will affect sales. Even though I guarantee queues next week.

22. Poly macrumors 6502

740million of which maybe only every hundreth COULD afford an iPhone.

23. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Actually that is how many are going to buy. The total population in China is: :D

Attached Files:

24. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

China allowed to preorder the 5S on Sept 17!

Chinese customers are being allowed to preorder the iPhone 5S starting on September 17! Source The remaining initial launch countries won't get ANY preorder capability.

That's a load of horse excrement! Treat every launch country equally! The speculation in the article is that Apple is doing it to deter scalpers. Well, what's to stop the scalpers from just preordering them like anyone else?

Mark

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe not even the 5C had store pickup preorder...

Either way, they have to go pick it up on the 20th. We always get our phones earlier than China were they are making thenm, having a couple of days earlier for the people that really want them instead of scalpers over there is fine in my book, but don't get me wrong, I'm jealous :(