Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Apple just keeps taking out options, there goes your freedom to choose.

Just stupid.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
So silly that Apple sells their displays for so much, then to only go with a single size at fricken $1,000. They truly do not want to be in the external display business anymore except for the iMac and selling a limited quantity of "trophy displays".

Pros, you're now on your own to BYOD. Apple doesn't want your business, just buy their MacPro and go away.

On the other hand, HP has what could be a killer display for us graphics folks.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/957524/
A 30" display that is said to be 100% sRGB accurate and something like 95% Adobe RGB accurate IN MATTE, 3-year warranty ($159 takes it to 5-years) for $1,300 ($1175 someone scored searching). Worth looking at if not Dell Ultrasharps have been great at my office.

:confused:

German

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
ACD = Glossy + just one Displayport = Joke

But it does not matter what Apple does with the ACDs. There are many other manufacturers.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I understand them discontinuing the 30" ...it's so old now...but why the 24"? Why not just drop the price a bit.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
How come they will be discontinuing the 24" Display? I own the 24" LED Display. Is there any reason to get the 27" display if you already own the 24"? Won't text on the 27" be smaller? That's one reason that I want to stick with the 24" because text becomes too tiny at 27" displays resolution.

If you want more screen real estate the 27” may be more useful. It’s also more expensive and takes up more space than a 24”.

The text shouldn’t be significantly smaller. It’s pretty close to a MacBook (Pro). Comparing pixel densities:
  • 24” LED, 94 ppi
  • 27” LED, 109 ppi
  • 23” Alu, 98 ppi
  • 30” Alu, 100 ppi
  • 15” PowerBook, 102 ppi
  • 15” MacBook Pro, 113 ppi
  • 15” MacBook Pro Highres, 132 ppi.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I was hoping for a nicely priced 24 inch... but overall pretty disappointed, I guess I'll just stick with Dell / Samsung :p

triplecore1

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
does apple even sell many of these? Who in their right mind would pay $749 for a 24inch computer screen. I might as well by a flat planel tv and use it as a monitor.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Another hint that Apple really doesn't care about its computers any more. 27 glossy with laptop connector only?.

Well, the new Mac Pros do have dual mini display ports. Although they seem consumer-ey, they are high-bandwidth digital pipes which can also carry audio and power, can support multiple displays with one cable, so there's no reason they can't be used for professional applications. In fact, DisplayPort technology is considerably more capable and flexible than DVI or HDMI.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wow... I'm really surprised. If this doesn't show Apple's lack of interest in the "Pro" market I don't know what does.

ZooCrewMan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Northridge, CA
Why "Apple OFFICIALLY Discontinues..." Why not simply "Apple Discontinues?" Why do people feel the need to over-use the word officially? And do it incorrectly?

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
They're only going to have a 27'' display? And its geared towards laptop owners? Have fun frying your GPUs.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Maybe a 32" as well. Eventually.

I hope that Apple will release a new high-end monitor, maybe 32" diagonal or so. Just for the pros out there who really need big screens with high pixel density. I would never need one, but I'm sure there's a market for it, even at Apple prices...

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Apple is clearly chasing profits and bottom lines now more than ever. At the same time they're disappointing Mac users, who helped make the company what it is today.

It's sad in one way, mind blowing in another. But hey, if you're a consumer looking for a cool phone and a consumption device then look Apple up ... if you're a Mac user looking for 'wow' products, or even sensible moves like KEEPING the 24" ACD, we're going to be sadly disappointed I think.

And, there's no company making similar products to Apple so we're screwed in a way ... either go with the Apple/SJ flow or what, buy Lenovo, Dell, Sony ... in my experience that's a bad idea too.

Sit back and enjoy the ride I guess and believe S. Jobs will eventually deliver products that please us, including Mac users...

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I already have enough mirrors in my apartment, I don't need an Apple-branded one.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Apple just keeps taking out options, there goes your freedom to choose.

Just stupid.

You still have freedom to choose, you just choose a different brand. Owning an Apple product is not required by law. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.