Apple on fifth ave offering repair of broken glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xgm541, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

While at my genius bar appointment the other day i noticed the genius' offered 2 people a free repair of broken glass on their iPhone 4's as a courtesy and a "1 time thing". Is this something thats been going on all along?

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i had a similar experience at my apple store in victor, ny, except my iphone was severely water damaged. it was obviously my fault but they still swapped it for me free of charge, and they used those exact words, "a one time thing". that same apple store also swapped out the broken screen on my cousins 3gs

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Rather than store specific, I think that's your Genius being generous. Apple's customer service is really good (most of the time).

4. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Had the same in the UK with my girlfriends phone, she dropped it and smashed it and they did it for free "as they were in a good mood"

My mate also went in a couple of weeks later to the same store and swapped his too.

Think its an unofficial thing they do for the customers.

Annoyingly I have to take my girlfriends back this weekend for a dodgy power button

5. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Of course they do these "one time things" - you already paid well over twice the going rate for the hardware in the first place.

6. boss.king, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So the software is completely unrelated then? What about the packaging? The R&D? Assembly? Surely you know that iPhones don't just come as a plastic bag of components that you assemble yourself.

7. twitt3r, Aug 30, 2011

twitt3r macrumors 6502

Who's the troll? Seems like you do nothing but follow my around these forums to try and provoke a negative response.

Apple keeps costs down and prices high. Fact. This is why they are one of the richest, most profitable companies around at the moment. They can afford to give people new phones as a "one time thing" because you have already paid over the odds in the first place. Why harp on about software, R&D and assembly when it has nothing to do with the argument? Oh yeah, that's what trolls do isn't it? :rolleyes:

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's hard to not 'follow you around' when you post in nearly every thread. How do all those things have nothing to do with the cost of the phone? Any companies motive is to make a profit, Apple does it exceedingly well, there's no doubting that. That doesn't mean they don't have to take into account the money spent on R&D, packaging per unit etc when deciding on a retail price. That's the reason you pay more than the hardware is worth.

9. twitt3r macrumors 6502

They have nothing to do with it because they do not change the fact. You act like I don't know what goes into creating a retail price though, or how a business needs to make money. Of course I know, but that doesn't mean I have to give it consideration in this debate.

The fact is, you pay a premium for Apple products because they have created a desirable brand with desirable products. That doesn't mean their products are necessarily any more expensive to make than the competition, it just means they can get away with charging more for them. What proportion of that cost is RA&D, packaging etc. is totally irrelevant.

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Well based on what I read it didn't seem like you knew, excuse me for enlightening you. Yes, their brand image has allowed them to charge a premium for their products, but the proportion of the cost that goes to running the company and further production is not irrelevant.

11. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Enlightening me on your inability to interpret something properly and with relevance, aye.

Yes, it is irrelevant, because you are paying a premium regardless of what the phone costs to make, package and distribute. That premium allows Apple to provide a "free replacement" service for the unfortunate few that need or want it.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So if the packaging costs suddenly skyrocketed for whatever reason, it would have no bearing on the price? Any company worth anything (real ones, not the fantasies you have described here) must take into account all the factors of the production and sale of their product. just because the cost is covered doesn't mean it's not important. A company is like an engine, not every piece is equally recognized but they are all necessary for it to function smoothly.

13. twitt3r, Aug 30, 2011

twitt3r macrumors 6502

Like I said, whatever the production and distribution costs are, Apple would charge a premium. So, your theoretical packaging increase would simply result in a proportional increase in price, maintaining that premium.

See, that is all I have been saying all along - that Apple charging a premium for their products affords them the luxury of being able to do things such as swapping out goods that have been blatantly damaged by the consumer. The percentage composition of that pricing model is, as I have said numerous times now, irrelevant. You just seem to want to argue about it because for one, you have a beef with me being vocal about my opinions, and secondly, you can't admit to being wrong and mis-reading the situation.

14. boss.king, Aug 30, 2011

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If you read my post history you will see I freely admit when I am wrong, this is fortunately not one of those times. I don't have any beef with you, I simply took note that since you came out of your time out there's been a lot of downrating, excluding your posts for reasons I cannot understand. I choose to discuss matters that interest me (this is one) and make no apologies for doing it on a discussion board. If my posts bother you so much then block me or don't reply, it's not difficult :rolleyes:

15. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Interesting how you totally avoid the issue being discussed, and the way you ended your post like that...just goes to show how you are only bothered about causing conflict. Nice try.

16. Bryan55 macrumors member

Bryan55