Apple once again trying to weasel its way out of paying fair tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VulchR, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VulchR, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

According to the BBC story (link), Apple shuffled things around in a glorified shell game between Ireland and Jersey to once again avoid paying tax. The article also says Apple paid a whopping 3.7% tax rate on profits outside the US (about one-sixth the average rate; EDIT: this is for 2017). I am no accountant, but this nonsense has to stop in an age when people are being seriously hurt by austerity. Shame on Apple. Perhaps some of the Apple stockholders in MR could ask the company to kindly pay its fair share of taxes. As if...

2. 576316 macrumors 601

The worst thing about this is the absolute garbage Apple spews about responsibility to community and their costumers. Absolute scumbag tactics. Apple care about nothing but your money, the rest of it is theatre.

What a bad Apple.

Bring on the hordes of MacRumors forum members willing to defend Apple through everything...

3. VulchR, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

I find it odd that if I want to buy an Apple product, I, as a person of modest means, have to pay 17.5% VAT tax, whereas Apple, which has greater financial resources than many countries, pays <4%. Oh, and the reason why Apple charges for products the same in £'s as the $ price, in spite of the exchange rate of about $1.30 per £? 'taxes'. Such utter BS.

4. hmmfe macrumors regular

This is pretty much the by-product of a legalistic society (rules are rules). If you are going to hold people to the technicalities, then you have to allow people (or corporations) to take advantage of technicalities.

I'm kinda hoping Apple played it a bit too cute and have some back taxes and penalties to pay. But, it they are within the technical letter of the law then there is not much to do here other than close the loopholes going forward.

5. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Apple's strategy seems to be an awfully lot like 'let's try it on and see if we can get away with it.' At some point the tax avoidance becomes so ingrained that it begins to look like moral corruption and greed, even if it isn't illegal.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Fascinating. Please expand on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.