Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Hi All,

Signed up for Apple One Premium on launch day as it will save me a few bob per month.

All was well and received a refund for my iCloud storage for the month however today I have just been billed my usual £14.99 for my Apple Music Family account.

Has anyone else had this? Did you get refunded or is the trial of Apple One not included for Apple Music and I needed to pay for 1 last month?

Scott.

• Angry
Reactions: panzer06

scotio200

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Apple Arcade has also just been billed. Am I supposed to cancel these individually?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Apple Arcade has also just been billed. Am I supposed to cancel these individually?

I was just about to ask if you’d cancelled them once you signed up to Apple One.
Seems daft but yes you need to cancel them.

ira spector

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
Spoke to Apple support and they said you are charged for your apple music and other individual services during your free month and only get the Apple One when you start paying. I complained about being charged for music and they cancelled it so I don't have music during my "free month of Apple One" This is a SCAM and Apple should be ashamed.
It must affect millions of apple users so Apple is scamming hundreds of millions of dollars from their customers.

• Angry
Reactions: panzer06

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I fail to see how this is a scam for your own error.
The Apple One confirmation email clearly tells you any existing services you’re currently paying for are not included so to me at least that means the onus is onto me to cancel any existing subscriptions.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I have the exact same issue! FURIOUS!
Sent the following to Tim Cook after Tier 2 stated quite clearly there is no free trial for existing customers. smh!
Every existing customer needs to escalate this issue. Insane

Please HELP. As a long time Apple customer with more than 50 Apple devices throughout the years and countless family members using your products and services I truly expect better when Apple rolls out a new product of service.

On 30 October I signed up for Apple One. It offered a free trial for all the Premier services for 30 days.

As an existing customer that already had free Apple + TV until Feb 2021, an existing Apple Music Family subscription and 2TB of shared storage I assumed all these services would stop billing as of the start date of my 30 October sign up.

At no point did the subscription process state that existing customers DO NOT get any free services and will continue to pay for all existing services until the first billing of Apple One (in my case 30 November) at which point they will be credited a prorated amount equivalent to any overlap that would occur after 30 November.

I complained about the duplicative charges and the rep said they would credit the $14.99 the billed on the 15th of November. What they did not say is that they cancelled Apple Music and even though I have Apple One it did not pick up under my supposed FREE trial. So now we don’t have any Apple Music and will not until after the first Apple one bill on 30 November.

I hope you can see how completely ridiculous this is for existing customers.

I respectfully ask that you correctly reinstate my Apple Music Family Subscription and credit me $30 to my Apple ID to cover the potential overlap and the number of calls and emails I’ve had to make regarding this issue.

Apple should never issue a new service that provides less benefits to existing clients, especially if the duplicative charges were never disclosed during the signup process.

Signed up for Apple One Premium on launch day as it will save me a few bob per month.

All was well and received a refund for my iCloud storage for the month however today I have just been billed my usual £14.99 for my Apple Music Family account.

Has anyone else had this? Did you get refunded or is the trial of Apple One not included for Apple Music and I needed to pay for 1 last month?

Scott.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I fail to see how this is a scam for your own error.
The Apple One confirmation email clearly tells you any existing services you’re currently paying for are not included so to me at least that means the onus is onto me to cancel any existing subscriptions.
WRONG! If you cancel the existing services during the free trial you have NO services during the trial, PERIOD.

This is NOT explained when you signup.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
WRONG! If you cancel the existing services during the free trial you have NO services during the trial, PERIOD.

This is NOT explained when you signup.
NOT WRONG!
It didn’t when I signed up, I cancelled both Apple Music and my iCloud sub which continues to run until the rest of the month as that’s what I’d already paid for.
As id already paid for 200GB storage I have 400GB available until my initial sub period ends then it goes back to 200GB.
In subscriptions under End Subscription for Apple Music is said If you cancel now, you can still access your subscription until 30 November 2020.
The Apple Music sub now states This subscription will be included in Apple One starting on 30 November 2020.

Last edited:

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
NOT WRONG!
It didn’t when I signed up, I cancelled both Apple Music and my iCloud sub which continues to run until the rest of the month as that’s what I’d already paid for.
As id already paid for 200GB storage I have 400GB available until my initial sub period ends then it goes back to 200GB.
In subscriptions under End Subscription for Apple Music is said If you cancel now, you can still access your subscription until 30 November 2020.
The Apple Music sub now states This subscription will be included in Apple One starting on 30 November 2020.
Which means no FREE trial for you. They should not advertise a free trial if it only applies to new customers of that service. If they offer a free trail you should've been able to cancel immediately and get unused portions refunded as soon as you started the Apple One trial but you can't. For existing customers it is not clear and provides NO free trial at all.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Which means no FREE trial for you. They should not advertise a free trial if it only applies to new customers of that service. If they offer a free trail you should've been able to cancel immediately and get unused portions refunded as soon as you started the Apple One trial but you can't. For existing customers it is not clear and provides NO free trial at all.
And again it already stated as such beforehand, it was my choice to continue.
If I wanted the free month then all I needed to do was to cancel and wait for the rest of the that subscription period to expire before I signed up to Apple One.
2C06843D-500F-4D57-ADE8-0924937E73C2.jpeg

Reactions: BigMcGuire

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
And again it already stated as such beforehand, it was my choice to continue.
If I wanted the free month then all I needed to do was to cancel and wait for the rest of the that subscription period to expire before I signed up to Apple One.
View attachment 1671163
If that’s acceptable to you, great. It’s wasn’t clear this was the case and it’s wrong either way.

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I just got billed for Apple Music and the 200GB storage plan. There isn’t even a way to cancel the storage plan once you sign up for Apple One that I can see.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I just got billed for Apple Music and the 200GB storage plan. There isn’t even a way to cancel the storage plan once you sign up for Apple One that I can see.
You need to go into settings then iCloud then manage storage then change storage plan.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
If you already had a free trial of any service, why would Apple give you another one? People complaining about being charged for Apple Music probably already used their free trail before.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
If you already had a free trial of any service, why would Apple give you another one? People complaining about being charged for Apple Music probably already used their free trail before.
Completely unacceptable for long term customers to get shafted.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I don’t understand how anyone is getting shafted. I signed up for Apple One and fully expected to pay for the month of Apple Music because it’s what Apple told me to expect when signing up. It wasn’t buried anywhere - “Your existing subscriptions are not eligible for trial” seemed clear enough to me.

I did have to cancel my 200GB plan, but Apple was giving me 400GB of space, making it clear I could either keep the additional 200GB for $2.99 or cancel and drop back to 200GB only.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I don’t understand how anyone is getting shafted. I signed up for Apple One and fully expected to pay for the month of Apple Music because it’s what Apple told me to expect when signing up. It wasn’t buried anywhere - “Your existing subscriptions are not eligible for trial” seemed clear enough to me.

I did have to cancel my 200GB plan, but Apple was giving me 400GB of space, making it clear I could either keep the additional 200GB for $2.99 or cancel and drop back to 200GB only.
Exactly, I was already paying £17.48 for Apple Music Family & 200GB storage and even though I had the same about existing subscriptions not being eligible I won’t be paying the extra £2.51 until the end of the month for Apple One so for me at least I’d say ATV+ and Apple Arcade were pretty much free this month.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

If you're fine with Apple offering a better deal to new subscribers and giving nothing to existing subscribers... that's fine. However, it's the same as T-Mobile and Sprint years ago offering all sorts of deals to new customers including free phones while people with 5 years of services were offered nothing. Eventually there were enough complaints that most promotions offer something for new and existing customers alike.

Also, the commercials and many of the articles written never made that little bit clear. I didn't notice the small print in the app that said that and probably would not have signed up had I noticed it. Even the Apple representatives said it probably should've been programmed to pop up a warning to existing customers that they would continue to pay for existing services, do you want to continue? That would've made it very clear to existing subscribers.

I personally dislike any promo that provides a better deal to new users than to the customers who've made a company great.

If that's no issue for you that's fine. Enjoy.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This was very confusing to me. Yes, I signed up for Apple One once it was available. However, during the "free" month, I'm still being charged Apple Music and my iCloud storage plan. I had manually cancelled them because I thought that's what I had to do. I couldn't cancel my iCloud but I managed to cancel my iCloud Music. And one day, my Apple Music was expired - all the downloaded music I had on my watch and phone - poof gone. So... I signed ... up... for it again .... and was charged another month.

I would have preferred to pay for Apple One up front instead of being forced a "free" month where I have to continue to pay for my regular services. It's not really ... "free" then...

Granted, I'm not upset - a little bit of $ isn't going to make me lose it - but lol I kinda expected Apple One to take everything over. It was confusing to me. My own ignorance. Apple usually makes these things super simple and easy. Imo, this one was not apparent. lol.

Still, Happy Apple customer. I hope when it switches over I don't have to download all my music again. :p

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
If you're fine with Apple offering a better deal to new subscribers and giving nothing to existing subscribers... that's fine.
Oh behave we were all new subscribers at one time so have benefitted in one way or another, when Apple Music was first a thing they offered 3 months for FREE!
And as an Apple One subscriber we’re getting credited back a certain amount for 3 months to spend on what we like.
Win win I say.
870C2A14-1033-47B1-8028-BBBA6BB0B1BE.jpeg

Reactions: BigMcGuire

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Oh behave we were all new subscribers at one time so have benefitted in one way or another, when Apple Music was first a thing they offered 3 months for FREE!
And as an Apple One subscriber we’re getting credited back a certain amount for 3 months to spend on what we like.
Win win I say.
View attachment 1676452
As I said. If you’re good with this, great. Enjoy.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I just ran into this problem myself. I had Apple Music Family, Apple TV, and iCloud 2TB. I had previously tried out Arcade (I think it was free for some period of time due to buying a new device), but didn't make use of it and didn't renew it. But it wasn't until the other day that I realized I could be paying the same amount of money for the things I did use and get some extras (that I probably still wouldn't use). Since there was a "free month" I signed up.

Several days later I got an email telling me that they charged me for my Apple Music Family subscription. Of course, that didn't make sense, so I submitted a request for a refund and provided plenty of detail of my situation. A couple days after that I was refunded. Great. But then when I went into the Apple Music app, it didn't think I was subscribed.

So, of course, I then spent far too much time talking to a rep via online chat, followed by a scheduled appointment for someone to call me the next day, which I just finished up with and involved the first rep (in the Subscriptions department *I think*) transferring me to a different rep (Technical support), who then transferred me back to a supervisor back in the Subscriptions department. I may have even forgotten about one more transfer to a different rep in the midst of all of that.

It finally got resolved by the rep telling me what Gonzo pointed out in the fine print of his screenshot in post #10 above and basically telling me to subscribe to Apple Music Family again. Because of the confusion and time wasted she was kind enough to offer me a free month of Apple Music Family (which, since even that still sounds confusing to state it that way, basically means that I'll pay $15 less for my first charged month of Apple One Premium...at least I think that's what it means).

So Gonzo is technically correct that we were warned about this (in fine print) up-front. And, I suppose, that I can even appreciate the point that maybe we shouldn't have expected to get a free month of something we were already paying for. But I'll contend that this is still a huge mess of their own making. Not only did I waste far too much of my time trying to sort this out, but it also involved time wasted by multiple people on their end who clearly didn't understand it, either. The very first interaction on my part of submitting the request for a refund coupled with all of the detail I provided (and their ability to view the specifics of my account) should have prompted whoever processed that refund (and, hence, the cancellation of my Apple Music Family portion) to send an email back to me explaining the terms of the offer and where I was clearly mistaken.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Happened to me. Twice. Both times I spent less than 5 minutes disputing the charge. Both times it was cleared up within 2 days.

Really didn’t bother me that much - I was out Arcade for a week and Fitness+ for three days in total - hardly noticed either for that short a time.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I just ran into this problem myself. I had Apple Music Family, Apple TV, and iCloud 2TB. I had previously tried out Arcade (I think it was free for some period of time due to buying a new device), but didn't make use of it and didn't renew it. But it wasn't until the other day that I realized I could be paying the same amount of money for the things I did use and get some extras (that I probably still wouldn't use). Since there was a "free month" I signed up.

Several days later I got an email telling me that they charged me for my Apple Music Family subscription. Of course, that didn't make sense, so I submitted a request for a refund and provided plenty of detail of my situation. A couple days after that I was refunded. Great. But then when I went into the Apple Music app, it didn't think I was subscribed.

So, of course, I then spent far too much time talking to a rep via online chat, followed by a scheduled appointment for someone to call me the next day, which I just finished up with and involved the first rep (in the Subscriptions department *I think*) transferring me to a different rep (Technical support), who then transferred me back to a supervisor back in the Subscriptions department. I may have even forgotten about one more transfer to a different rep in the midst of all of that.

It finally got resolved by the rep telling me what Gonzo pointed out in the fine print of his screenshot in post #10 above and basically telling me to subscribe to Apple Music Family again. Because of the confusion and time wasted she was kind enough to offer me a free month of Apple Music Family (which, since even that still sounds confusing to state it that way, basically means that I'll pay $15 less for my first charged month of Apple One Premium...at least I think that's what it means).

So Gonzo is technically correct that we were warned about this (in fine print) up-front. And, I suppose, that I can even appreciate the point that maybe we shouldn't have expected to get a free month of something we were already paying for. But I'll contend that this is still a huge mess of their own making. Not only did I waste far too much of my time trying to sort this out, but it also involved time wasted by multiple people on their end who clearly didn't understand it, either. The very first interaction on my part of submitting the request for a refund coupled with all of the detail I provided (and their ability to view the specifics of my account) should have prompted whoever processed that refund (and, hence, the cancellation of my Apple Music Family portion) to send an email back to me explaining the terms of the offer and where I was clearly mistaken.
At least they started giving me a $4.99 credit each month for Apple TV since everyone is still getting it for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.