Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced the opening of a new Design and Development Accelerator in Shanghai as part of an effort to support engineering talent and boost growth in China's iOS developer community.

Apple_China-Design-Development-Accelerator_Accelerator-Program_070819_inline.jpg.large_.jpg

Located in Pudong District, the Accelerator is being launched to give Chinese developers a chance to work closely with Apple experts to enhance their app development skills, learn how to take advantage of the latest Apple software and hardware, and get tips on app marketing and distribution.
"Developers here in China are leading the world with some of the most popular apps on the App Store, and we are proud to be providing this additional support for them," said Enwei Xie, Apple's head of developer relations, Greater China. "From education to health to entertainment, the innovation we see here is incredible and we can't wait to see what these talented developers will come up with next."
The first Accelerator program focused on how to implement Apple's augmented reality technologies, with an in-depth look at the latest updates to ARKit 3, AR Quick Look, Reality Composer, and RealityKit. According to Apple, the range of activities includes lectures, workshops, labs, guest speakers, train the trainers, and networking on a regular basis.

Apple_China-Design-Development-Accelerator_One-On-One-Consultation_070819_big.jpg.large_.jpg

Apple says Greater China has over 2.5 million app developers, and since 2010, local developers have earned over 200 billion RMB through App Store sales, with over 30 percent of those earnings made in the past year alone.

Shanghai's Accelerator follows a similar scheme Apple launched in 2017 in Bangalore, India. To attend programs, attendees must be registered members of the Apple Development Program and have an Apple ID registered in the region.

Article Link: Apple Opens App Design and Development Accelerator in Shanghai

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I think Chinese developers are more advance than Apple's. They basically getting away from their apps until somebody reports them to Apple when their apps are doing something unusual.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I keep seeing these articles talking about these Chinese based apps that are doing bad things to the users whether its iOS or Android (cause its whatever the devs can get away seems to be the business rule there), makes me feel rather ambivalent when I see announcements like this.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
I don't see how the proprietary iOS platform will be able to survive Android in China in the long run

gertruded

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Northwestern Illinois
Helping China win the technology competition. Remember. every time you purchase an Apple product you are helping China, not the US. Straight out "sell them the rope to hang you by".

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Helping China win the technology competition. Remember. every time you purchase an Apple product you are helping China, not the US. Straight out "sell them the rope to hang you by".
It does seem that way. There is at first glance a severe cognitive dissonance apparent: a company headed up by a proud humanitarian sjw and privacy advocate constantly affirming their commitment of resources to China.

But honestly I’m not educated enough to know if the bad optics have any basis in what the reality is. There could be a positive healthy (for the US) reason Apple is doing this. At the very least, Apple has to be getting something favorable from a cost/benefit side to keeping so firm in its commitment of resources to China.

This could be an interesting thread as people with wider knowledge and experience contribute their insights.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Apple is just making it that much more easy for China to copy everything wake up Cook you are killing the company you inherited.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
how are we helping china out exactly. Last i recall im helping apple since their getting most of the profits. Same can be said about every other company. If i buy samsung i help korea, xiomi, help china, etc.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I don't understand why there's not a program right here in the US. Why isn't there a US version of this? Why is the US always subsidizing other countries education and health care?

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Apple is forced to do this because less and less Asian developers are willing to port their Android apps to iOS. These kind of makeups can only slow down the deterioration of iOS ecology in these countries. To fully stop that trend, Apple needs to vastly improve the attractiveness of iPhone. Otherwise the trend will eventually spread to more wealthy European countries and then the US, by then the whole iOS ecology will slowly distinct, just like how the Mac system almost died out between 1990-1998.

Reactions: Stryder541

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple is forced to do this because less and less Asian developers are willing to port their Android apps to iOS. These kind of makeups can only slow down the deterioration of iOS ecology in these countries. To fully stop that trend, Apple needs to vastly improve the attractiveness of iPhone. Otherwise the trend will eventually spread to more wealthy European countries and then the US, by then the whole iOS ecology will slowly distinct, just like how the Mac system almost died out between 1990-1998.
But don't most of the wealthier class in those countries use iOS products.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Asia is supposedly half the world population.
these countries have have colleges, technology, stable capital and local markets.

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
The more, the merrier. Why this is looked at in a negative light is beyond me. Increasing iOS development in the most populous country on earth seems like a winning strategy. Similar to increasing iOS development in the 2nd most populous country on earth as mentioned in the story.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
it seems Americans are all jonesing for those illusive manufacturing jobs.

Last edited:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
But don't most of the wealthier class in those countries use iOS products.

3 years ago, yes. It has been vastly changing, the pace of that change is also constantly accelerating. The performance gap between iOS and Android has shrunk to an ignorable level, iPhones also have its own shortcomings. The most important factor is still that, less and less Asian developers are willing to port their apps to iOS, not to mention about making iOS platform their primary focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.