Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "Other Products" category, which includes AirPods, Apple TV, Apple Watch, HomePod, Beats products, iPod touch, and other Apple-branded and third-party accessories brought in nearly $4 billion in revenue, up an impressive 38 percent compared to the year-ago quarter that brought in $2.9 billion in revenue.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the Apple Watch, one of the most lucrative products in the "Other" category, saw strong revenue growth "in the double digits" year-over-year, setting a March quarter revenue record. Apple does not break down "Other" product sales, so specific numbers on Apple Watch sales are unavailable.

applewatchedition-3-800x320.jpg

Cook described AirPods, another popular "Other" product as a "runaway hit" that the company is still working to keep in stock.

Wearables saw a combined revenue increase of almost 50 percent year over year, which includes AirPods, Beats, and Apple Watch. Cook said that Apple's wearables business is now the size of a Fortune 300 company.

Cook didn't have much to say about the HomePod, which is also in the "Other" category, but he said that he believes it is a "breakthrough" speaker that will change the way we listen to music.

Apple is "looking forward" to adding new features to the HomePod and introducing it to more markets soon, but he gave no timeline for these updates.

Article Link: Apple's Wearable Business is the Size of a Fortune 300 Company

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I believe it. Certainly not an iPhone blockbuster of a product, but it’s picking up steam. My wife is fiercely pragmatic about her technology and she’s been asking about the Apple Watch lately.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Tim: It was a banner year for watches and AirPods!

Investor: What about HomePod?

Tim: Tim: Did I mention it was a banner year for watches and AirPods!!

=========

I have yet to see anyone with a watch. AirPods
are far more prevalent.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have yet to see anyone with a watch. AirPods are far more prevalent.

I don’t know where you live or how often you get out, but I see the Apple Watch absolutely everywhere. Compared to where it was in 2015 of April to where it is today, I see the Apple Watch a minimum of 10 times a day. There is a reason they have crushed the competition around them with the band customization, the health related features, Apple Pay and the convenience of the notifications.

Last edited:

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
are far more prevalent.
Really? I was at Disneyland the other day, and it seemed like almost every wrist had an Apple Watch on it. I'm talking about seeing thousands of people wearing it during the afternoon I visited.

As a side note, it's a shame that Disney didn't integrate their Fast Pass system with Apple Watch, as it would be a much better user experience than pulling out a phone to scan.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is not surprising, AirPods are popular and go into an Apple store and all anyone seems to be buying is Apple Watches.

The Apple TV is overpriced though, especially the 4K model which really should have just replaced the 1080P one, instead they saw a ma gin to make more money.

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
I got it in 2015. Absolutely love everything about it. Rocked the S0 until I upgraded to the 3 LT. I got the Pebble when that first launched and was immediately hooked into the electronic game. Plus, Apple Pay on the wrist is incredible.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

=========

are far more prevalent.

I see Apple Watch everywhere, everyday, in fact almost everyone I see appears to be wearing one.

HomePod is off to strong start carving out a healthy position in the market. And this is just the start with better software and undoubtedly more hardware offerings - I can easily see a HomePod in every home within five years.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I see Apple Watch everywhere, everyday, in fact almost everyone I see appears to be wearing one.

HomePod is off to strong start carving out a healthy position in the market. And this is just the start with better software and undoubtedly more hardware offerings - I can easily see a HomePod in every home within five years.

Ha. They better get to work then! I’m returning my HomePod. Sonos has nothing to worry about. Yet anyway. My Play5 sounds night and day better than HomePod. The nonstop thump thump thump of the HomePod is terrible. How they released it with no EQ controls and such agggresive bass is beyond me. I also found the vocals were too emphasized. Not impressed. Siri, on the other hand, worked quite well for controlling music and managing my library. I just wish HomePod sounded good enough to make me give up Sonos.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

=========

are far more prevalent.

Seriously? You have yet to see anyone with an Apple Watch?

Reactions: jonblatho

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Apple watch for the win! When they dropped the price of the S1 to $239 and occasional $199/$150 sales price - that’s when it took off.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
This is not surprising, AirPods are popular and go into an Apple store and all anyone seems to be buying is Apple Watches.

The Apple TV is overpriced though, especially the 4K model which really should have just replaced the 1080P one, instead they saw a ma gin to make more money.

$105 using the directv now method is not overpriced.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Apple Watch LTE is the only Apple Product I currently own that I think is the best it can be with the current state of the technology. In other Apple products I can see where Apple let some areas slide. But with the watch, LTE model especially, they really stayed on top of their game. That’s just my humble opinion. I know some folks would beg to differ and say it should be slimmer and look different by now. I’m just giving a woman’s point of view because I have looked at so many other wearables to pair with my Android phone. I have found nothing that can touch my Apple Watch, not for a small woman with small wrists anyway.

It’s astonishing that I can make calls on this pretty little watch. I had a Samsung watch that I could make calls on, too, without a phone nearby. But it was huge and uncomfortable in hot weather.

They can perhaps expand the fitness apps a bit more, to match the community encouragement aspect that Fitbits offer, like what Nike Run Club does for runners, but for the more casual walking and light aerobics crowd like me and other pudgy middle aged people trying to get into shape. But at least the technology is already there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.