Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Flickr over the weekend released data detailing the most popular camera rankings of 2014 for the online photo sharing service. With 100 million users uploading 10 billion photos last year, the usual standouts of Canon and Nikon edged out most of the competition, but most interesting was Apple moving past Nikon to take second place in the rankings (via The Next Web).

Screenshot-103.png
Focusing solely on the top 5 camera brands used on the service last year, Canon took first place with 13.4 percent, followed by Apple with 9.6 percent and Nikon with 9.3 percent. Samsung and Sony round out the other top spots.

Individual iPhone models have long registered as the most popular camera devices on Flickr, but in looking at overall brand performance, major traditional camera manufacturers Canon and Nikon with as many as several hundred different models on the market long held down the top spots until Apple's entry in 2014.

Flickr also looked at the top mobile device cameras used on Flickr, where Apple unsurprisingly dominated the top ten list. In first through fourth were the iPhone 5 (10.6 percent), iPhone 4s (7.0 percent), iPhone 4 (4.3 percent), and the iPhone 5c (2.0 percent). The iPhone 6, iPad, and iPad mini also placed in the top ten. It is unclear why the iPhone 5s is not included on Flickr's year-end lists, as it has been registering as the most popular camera overall for a number of months now.

Screenshot-104.png
Though Flickr's data can't exactly be used to specifically track the rise or fall of full-fledged DSLR and professional cameras, as Flickr is used by both paid professionals and everyday amateurs, it's still interesting to see Apple's own hardware slowly edge out such big brands in the photography space.

Article Link: Apple Passes Nikon to Become Second Most Popular Camera Brand on Flickr

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't say that I'm surprised. traditional camera days are numbered. More people use their phones as their cameras.

Reactions: JamesPDX

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
I can't say that I'm surprised. traditional camera days are numbered. More people use their phones as their cameras.

Hardly. The optics still suck, lack of zoom (crop is not zoom) and high compression on phone cams will still limit their usefulness.

Yes, phones are great for quick snaps, and catching something on the run but for capturing family moments nothing beats a proper camera.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
The second chart shows Apple iPad but doesn't say which model(lines 7, 8). The first gen iPad had no camera.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I'm surprised is wasn't number 1 on Flickr as I only use it for mobile shots As far as traditional cameras, I can't see them ever being replaced. Unless they can find a way to attach my 70-200 L or 85 L.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Are you kidding me?

MacRumors is linking to the same stupid site that was linked to on reddit yesterday.

The same site that lists the original iPad as a more popular camera than the iPhone 5S.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've been thinking of setting up a Flickr account for iPhone pics since I walked away from Instagram and Facebook a few weeks back. I just want somewhere to post to that doesn't involve vying for those oh-so addictive, sweet, sweet likes. That *****'ll rot your brain...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How many people use Flickr? I'm not surprised that sites like Flickr and Instagram have a high percentage of smartphone cameras. I don't think it means anything other than when you're posting to sites like that photo quality is not a top concern.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This is a case of quantity over quality. The iPhone photos are good but nothing compared to a CSC or SLR.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Hardly. The optics still suck, lack of zoom (crop is not zoom) and high compression on phone cams will still limit their usefulness.

Yes, phones are great for quick snaps, and catching something on the run but for capturing family moments nothing beats a proper camera.

I'll definitely second this. I've lost count of how many pictures I've taken with my 4S. Together with a separate app ('Camera +'), I've filled up a handful of sub-albums on my SmugMug site, but I'd never go so far as to say it would/could ever replace a good dSLR.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As neat as my iPhone 6 is for quick shots, nothing will replace my SLR. Unless they get that level of control and lenses onto an iPhone of course.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
The iPhone camera is like a pistol. You only carry a pistol because it is HANDY, not because it is the best solution (rifle or shotgun) to a social problem.

You still need a proper camera for longer-range issues.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
How many people use Flickr? I'm not surprised that sites like Flickr and Instagram have a high percentage of smartphone cameras. I don't think it means anything other than when you're posting to sites like that photo quality is not a top concern.

I deleted my account after having it for like 10 years. Pretty much everyone into photography had one in one point. But 500px took a lot of people away, and so have maybe many of the big photog gallery sites.

I would argue that Flickr's new transformation into a social network type site is a huge reason for this.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

For capturing family moments - nothing beats a proper camera?

For picture quality, yes. But everything else, no. You need to remember to bring your camera everywhere, and keep it ON your person. For most occasions, things happen spontaneously where you can't run back to the car/the house to grab your camera.

If you're PLANNING to take a picture, then yes, a regular camera is better.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
All of the top 5 went up percentage wise from the previous year.

Interesting that Samsung actually more than doubled it's numbers.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK

Spot on.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting that Samsung actually more than doubled it's numbers.

This. I thought I was going to have to post it myself but you beat me to it.

Samsung increased from 2.4% to 5.6% (+3.2) while Apple only increased from 7.7% to 9.6% by (+1.9).

Also, Samsung overtook Sony, going from 5th place to 4th place.

And the top 5 all together went from 35.4% to 42.1%.

This seems to indicate to me that the top 5 are gaining ground by no longer having as many small players to compete with.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This is not suprising at all.

How many 'non photographers' actually by cameras anymore. The iPhone camera is just as good if not better than those tiny Nikons.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
For capturing family moments - nothing beats a proper camera?

For picture quality, yes. But everything else, no. You need to remember to bring your camera everywhere, and keep it ON your person. For most occasions, things happen spontaneously where you can't run back to the car/the house to grab your camera.

If you're PLANNING to take a picture, then yes, a regular camera is better.
The only time I use my iphone to take a picture is to make one from a whiteboard full of notes at work, or something else I need to remember. Anything else, if I don't have a proper camera with me, I'm not making a photo. Unless you are on a bright sunny summer day, as good as it is for a phone, it just flat out sucks when compared to a proper dSLR with good glass.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
...and just wait till they update the camera on the 6s....

Just wait to see when I'll be 33,
So many pictures of my kids you'll want to murder me.
;)

It's all about the light and creativity.
Camera doesn't matter as much as we like to cry.

I'm not saying you can compare it with a DSLR or a Mirrorless..

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I deleted my account after having it for like 10 years. Pretty much everyone into photography had one in one point. But 500px took a lot of people away, and so have maybe many of the big photog gallery sites.

I would argue that Flickr's new transformation into a social network type site is a huge reason for this.
Flickr has become Instagram on steroids.

500px is currently where it's at, but even they are beginning to cater to the mobile app filter and upload crowd.

Guess at this point barely anyone really wants to offer a broad-scale (semi-)pro photo site anymore.

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.