Apple Pay Isn't As Big Of A Deal As Everyone Says It Is

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cymolia, Oct 21, 2014.

1. cymolia macrumors 6502a

2. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Yeah and tablets are weird and no one will ever use them. They've been made before the iPad and it never caught on!

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

4. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

That's because nobody in the USA properly marketed the idea of nfc payments... Like google wallet and softcard (Isis wallet). Most people haven't even heard of those, yet now nfc payments and apple pay are all over the news. Not just tech and business blogs, but mainstream nightly news media, displayed to the masses to raise awareness. Apple is pushing this in the right direction, which google and the carriers didn't do with their own renditions of payment systems.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

This is why I'm using it.

And why not use technology. It's easy and quick and "safer" than handing someone over a card or even swiping at a POS terminal.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

If I still have to check a list to see "if this store takes it" --- it's too soon for me.

I never have to do that with a VISA card.
    Once it's everywhere (like everywhere -- not just big box stores) I'll be excited about it.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They also said the iPhone isn't as big of a deal as everyone said it was :rolleyes:

8. TAZ911 macrumors member

Why would your phone go dead because of apple pay??

You'll be using NFC whether you like it or not in approximately 2 years. Supposedly by next October all your cards will be of the imbedded chip variety. By 2016 retailer will have to update their terminals to use NFC tech due to increased security.

Apple pay on paper is far more secure than magnetic stripe and signature. Not sure why people piss and moan about it. I understand why retailers piss and moan about it, but then they piss and moan about anything that requires and investment on their part. Consumers need to be demanding better security for their financial transactions.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Ok, when are people going to understand?

Traditional NFC payment: unsecured, limited to €/$/£20

:apple: Pay: secured, limited only by your credit card limit.

10. TAZ911 macrumors member

Hit send button too fast :(

We always fall back to the whole if it's fraudulent we don't pay, but that is a crock of junk. We do pay just not all at once. Banks and merchants aren't going to just chalk up millions of dollars each year without someone paying.

11. ricktat macrumors 65816

Since Apple is finally on board and innovating NFC buy making it more secure than using the card in your wallet... It will catch on and soon will be the norm for all retailers.

I was in a line at a Fall Festival the other day.. 20 people in line and 12 of the 20 had Iphone 6's. A Fall Festival is a pretty sweet place for tech.

You can buy cases for Iphones at a gas station.

Just examples how Apple is different from the others with NFC. People buy and retailers want to be part of the action.

Another example would be that not that many electric cars are sold in the US. Last year saw 96,000 and that was a record.

If for 2015 Toyota decided to only sell electric vehicles... not only would next years numbers be in the millions but other companies would be forced to join... and retailers offering charging stations and anything else they could think of to sell to those people would go up.

12. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

"Do you want to be that person holding up the line trying to use Apple Pay?" Wester asks. "The longer it takes, the less likely it's going to seem that important or immediate for people to adopt."​

I was surprised how fast the process was. Now, if only I didn't have to wait for that pesky receipt to print out...

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Huh?
    Nobody said it would.

What I said was that if your phone goes dead, you can't pay for anything then. (not an issue with a normal credit card, obviously)

----------

Well..the rest of NFC payments better catch up, because at no point in time will Apple Pay dominate literally everything.

You'll also NEVER get everyone using an iOS device.....so there's a long way to go in this area (in the US at least)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That looks like an implementation issue. There is a "soft limit" of $80 here in NZ which requires you to enter your PIN as verification, but it still works.

15. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Of course, I am going to have carry a wallet. They won't let us have copies of our driver's licenses in Passbook yet. .... But I can forget to bring my credit/debit card.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Once you have to enter a pin it defeats the purpose of NFC. The genius of :apple: Pay is the Touch ID.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Depends on your perspective, I suppose. Even when entering a PIN, I find NFC much more convenient than inserting a card, selecting an account, entering a PIN, waiting for the transaction to process (often takes 5-10 seconds over here due to a large number of misconfigured terminals), and then removing the card again. "Wave and PIN" is still a lot quicker, and I can put my wallet away while it's processing.

18. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Quick question: Does Apple Pay require a data connection?

I've seen conflicting information, 1.) No. Everything is stored on the secure element. 2.) Yes, it's how they process the transaction.

I could see a minor drawback if it did. Some stores simply don't have good reception.

19. Saskataper macrumors newbie

I find it strange that NFC isn't common in the US or even chip cards for that matter. When I was down there last spring I was very surprised that everywhere was swipe to pay. Here in Canada I can "tap to pay" at the corner store. Super fast and easy, I'll probably get the watch after apple pay is introduced here just for that reason.

20. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You don't have to check a list. If you get to the checkout and see an NFC terminal, you can use it. I never saw Bartell Drugs on any list, but when I went to check out there this morning, I used my iPhone and it just worked. If a store doesn't take NFC yet, just use your cards the old fashioned way.

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

For now I'm just going to keep tapping my credit card.

22. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I think you're confusing EMV cards (chip cards) and NFC. On October 1st, 2015 merchants are liable for fraudulent charges on chip cards that were swiped magnetically. Chip cards do not use NFC. As far as I know there's absolutely nothing demanding merchants to support NFC.

23. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

This is also why I am still not ready to buy a MP3 player since the boom box I own still works with my cassettes.

After getting notices from Target and Home Depot about their breaches and having Discover send me 4 new cards, unsolicited, over the last year (which meant going to change all my online merchant payments), I am hoping that this provides less of a hassle and risk than using a credit card at a POS.

24. caesarp macrumors 6502a

No. It doesn't. Only when adding a card. Not at the store.

25. CoilTap macrumors regular

You're confusing NFC with chip and pin. They're not the same thing and are not mutually inclusive.