Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay today launched in New Zealand, marking the 11th country where the payments service is available. The "Coming Soon" label has been removed from the Apple Pay New Zealand website and New Zealand website Stuff confirms Apple Pay is now functional in the country.

Apple Pay in New Zealand is available through a partnership with ANZ bank, meaning it can only be used with Visa credit and debit cards issued by ANZ at this time. Some banks in Australia and New Zealand have been reluctant to accept Apple Pay due to the fee Apple collects. ANZ executive Liz Maguire told Stuff Apple Pay was worth the fee.

applepayanz.jpg
"For us it much more about the value it brings out customers than anything else. I think we're going to see a lot of people using it because it's so easy."

She said the bank had received enquires from new customers but did not say how many.

"We think there's a lot of interest for Apple Pay in the market and when it was announced there was a lot of commentary on social media saying 'when is my bank going to offer Apple Pay'".
Apple Pay works with all of Apple's latest iPhones, including the iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7 Plus, and SE, plus it is available on the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s with an Apple Watch.

In New Zealand, Apple warns that a PIN may be required for purchases over 80 NZD, a restriction also implemented in several other countries for security purposes. For purchases under 80 NZD, no confirmation beyond Touch ID (or skin contact on an Apple Watch) is required.

Apple Pay is available at many locations in New Zealand, including McDonald's, Domino's, Glassons, K-Mart, Hallenstein Brothers, Stevens, Noel Leeming, Storm, and more.

Apple Pay is now available in the United States, the UK, China, Australia, Russia, Canada, Switzerland, Singapore, France, Hong Kong, and New Zealand. Later in 2016, Apple plans to expand Apple Pay to Spain through a partnership with American Express.

Apple Pay will soon expand to Japan, Spain, and Taiwan.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launches in New Zealand Through Partnership With ANZ

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I wouldn't find PIN confirmation here in the US for large purchases especially for chip purchases.

wdfly

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
i wish they would solve the issue of "please insert chip card" when using apple pay that is linked to a card that has a chip in it here in the US.

Camato

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Germany
Germany next pleeeeEEEeeaaaaase.
I want to see that as much as you, but I think Germany isn't ready yet.. Credit Cards are not that much spreaded here. And some laws for maximum profit limits are standing in the way right now. I think we won't see ApplePay in Germany until early 2018, maybe late 2017.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
i wish they would solve the issue of "please insert chip card" when using apple pay that is linked to a card that has a chip in it here in the US.

I've got three chip cards (two credit and one debit) linked to my Apple Wallet and I've never been prompted to insert a card.

Perhaps this is a merchant-level issue with their implementation?

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I've got three chip cards (two credit and one debit) linked to my Apple Wallet and I've never been prompted to insert a card.

This is accurate. I had this come up too, twice. It turns out the cashier didn't know how to properly do the transaction in both instances. In both cases, also, they were very insistent that they were right and pushed back because they didn't understand why I was refusing to risk my security by using the card directly. Thankfully, other employees who knew how to do the job helped.

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area

Same here, no prompt to insert card on my linked chip cards. Some POS implementations using Apply Pay have extra steps vs. just the card....so agree it maybe the implementation.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'd wager that that's the case. My Paywave card works directly virtually everywhere in NZ except at one place, where it detects the presence of the Paywave card but then asks me to insert it. Sigh.

This same place has done zero maintenance on the terminals and they almost fall to pieces when you touch them!

Reactions: mackiwilad

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
You're that paranoid? Just curious. Unless I read that part out of context of the actual situation.

Be reckless with your own money, not mine. And no, I don't trust Target, Wendy's, Yahoo, TJ Maxx, Sears, Sony, Home Depot, Chase, Anthem, or any of these others to protect me when I'll be the one put out by their endless parade of mistakes if something happens.

One guy I know has a $45,000 lien on his home right now because of identity theft because he wasn't "paranoid" enough and he's been trying to fix the situation for over a year. If you want that in your life, be my guest. As for me, I'll do my utmost not to expose my data and risk my family's financial health.

Last edited:
Reactions: macs4nw

aircub

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
In the UK do we still have a maximum amount you can use on the card, I think it was £30.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Be reckless with your own money, not mine. And no, I don't trust Target, Wendy's, Yahoo, TJ Maxx, Sears, Sony, Home Depot, Chase, Anthem, or any of these others to protect me when I'll be the one put out by their endless parade of mistakes if something happens.

One guy I know has a $45,000 lien on his home right now because of identity theft because he wasn't "paranoid" enough and he's been trying to fix the situation for over a year. If you want that in your life, be my guest. As for me, I'll do my utmost not to expose my data and risk my family's financial health.

That guy's situation wouldn't have been prevented with Apple Pay though. Blame places using SSN for everything for that.

Reactions: zync and 69Mustang

lukaskilling

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Germany is actually marked on that map on apple's support website.
This may be an error but personally I hope this is indicating that apple pay is just about to be released in Germany.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.PNG
    IMG_1088.PNG
    305.6 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: racingbull

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's been two years, I think it is safe to call it that Apple Pay isn't changing the world at all, who cares what country is implementing it next.

Reactions: zync
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.