Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hi, I have an iphone 6S, and I have encountered some trouble paying at terminals lately. About a week ago, my local McDonalds upgraded their payment terminals, and ever since then, I am unable to use apple pay from my phone to pay. It is denied. But before they upgraded these terminals, I was able to pay no problem.

Does anyone else have any issues with apple pay lately?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Yes I have exactly that problem. It started here several weeks ago - same symptoms - after McDonalds updated software (screen looks very different) I always get denied. This is at several McDonalds in the area. Used to work fine. Glad to know I'm not the only one having this. I assume it still works for some or this would be a widely reported problem. Not sure where to go with it.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Is this denied, as in the transaction is denied?
I ask because at a few places now the activation of NFC on my iPhone (7+) doesn't even happen anymore.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Not sure about you but in my region, I have to select Credit Card on their terminals, for some reason FlashPay and Debit Card don't work.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I can't remember the exact error message. This also happens at rite aid. I thought Apple phones were populR enough that this would be tested.

Reactions: alecc131

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I get transaction denied message - as if the card were no good or ?? For some reason the process no longer works at MacDonalds - it works fine for me elsewhere and I can use the actual credit card at McDonalds - just not apple pay any longer. Used to work great. It is almost the code being generated isn't getting to or getting being recognized

deepdesign00

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I have an iPhone 7 plus and I haven't been able to use Apple Pay the last few days at my local grocery store. It looks like the terminal were I tap to pay hasn't changed however the cashier did mention that they had a recent software update. Other stores in my area who had excepted Apple Pay seem to be working fine. Only that one store

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
the local corner store i get coffee from changed their software on their swipe machine and have not been able to use my watch or phone with apple pay. other stores it's fine. i don't think it has anything to do with the phone/watch itself but more of the machine.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
as in other threads - I have this issue at MacDonalds since they did a software update. If this is happening at a bunch of places then I would hope Apple would be working on it - has anyone reported this issue to Apple?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Actually happened to me where the NFC chip died in my 6S+. Go make an appointment at Apple and have them check the hardware. I at first had trouble with Verifone readers and then all of them.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It works at a bunch of places just not MacDonalds for me. It is making the connection and then comes back denied as if the card is invalid etc. I don't think this is a chip problem.

It didn't work today at a Staples - cash register person told me that his iPhone stopped working at his store for him recently - used to work but doesn't now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.