Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay is now an accepted payment method for iTunes, App Store, and Apple Books purchases, as well as Apple Music and iCloud storage subscriptions, as reflected in a recently updated Apple support document.

itunes_apple_pay-800x516.jpg

To link any credit or debit cards set up in the Wallet app with your Apple ID account, navigate to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Next, select your Apple ID email and then tap View Apple ID > Manage Payments > Add Payment Method. The cards should be listed under a new "Found in Wallet" section.

This functionality is rolling out as a server-side change in the United States, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Russia, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates, so it is not available for all users yet.

In the United States, users can also link an Apple Pay Cash card to an Apple ID account.

There are a handful of benefits to Apple Pay billing for Apple ID account-tied purchases, including the ability to conveniently add multiple credit or debit cards, the improved security of Apple Pay, and the ability to better manage Apple Music and iCloud storage subscriptions from the Wallet app.

This functionality arrives ahead of the launch of the Apple Card credit card in the United States this summer.

(Thanks, Dean Lubaki!)

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Accepted for iTunes, App Store, Apple Music, and iCloud Purchases in Some Countries

Last edited:

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Good I’d love to see PayPal go the way of the dinosaurs with their political agendas I don’t agree with.

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
I'll keep using my credit card for the points… but what happens when there is $0 on the Apple Pay Cash card?

IGendel

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
I'm not seeing this option available. Is it showing up for anyone yet?

Apple Pay is now an accepted payment method for iTunes, App Store, and Apple Books purchases, as well as Apple Music and iCloud storage subscriptions, as reflected in a recently updated Apple support document.

itunes_apple_pay-800x516.jpg

To link any credit or debit cards set up in the Wallet app with your Apple ID account, navigate to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Next, select your Apple ID email and then tap View Apple ID > Manage Payments > Add Payment Method. The cards should be listed under a new "Found in Wallet" section.

This functionality is rolling out as a server-side change in the United States, Canada, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Russia, Ukraine, and the United Arab Emirates, so it is not available for all users yet.

In the United States, users can also link an Apple Pay Cash card to an Apple ID account.

There are a handful of benefits to Apple Pay billing for Apple ID account-tied purchases, including the ability to conveniently add multiple credit or debit cards, the improved security of Apple Pay, and the ability to better manage Apple Music and iCloud storage subscriptions from the Wallet app.

This functionality arrives ahead of the launch of the Apple Card credit card in the United States this summer.

(Thanks, Dean Lubaki!)

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Accepted for iTunes, App Store, Apple Music, and iCloud Purchases in Some Countries

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Always shocked me how Apple Pay was not allowed for many Apple purchases. Even more baffling is the needing your full Apple ID password to download a free app and not just FaceID or TouchID. I can max out my credit cards using FaceID or TouchID in stores, but god forbid I download a free app or $1.99 app without my full password.

picaman

Cancelled
Oct 6, 2005
If the Apple ID default card is already in the Wallet as an Apple Pay card, you can “link” it. My default card didn’t show up in the list using the directions in the article, but evidently it needs to be “linked” to be on file as Apple Pay (on the main screen).

The only cards listed using the article’s instructions were Apple Pay cards that I was not using for my Apple ID.

thebluepotato

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Switzerland
The question for me is now whether foreign (non-US) credit cards added in Wallet for Apple Pay can now be used for the App Store as well. Constantly buying gift cards online to add funds is tedious especially when you have an Apple Music and iCloud Storage subscription...

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Always shocked me how Apple Pay was not allowed for many Apple purchases. Even more baffling is the needing your full Apple ID password to download a free app and not just FaceID or TouchID. I can max out my credit cards using FaceID or TouchID in stores, but god forbid I download a free app or $1.99 app without my full password.

This feature has been around for a while.

upload_2019-5-14_16-34-58.jpeg

Of course, you are required to enter your password after restarting or updating the device.

JeffNT326

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
NYC
Does anyone know if this would qualify for both 2% Apple Pay cashback and 3% Apple product/services cashback on Apple card?

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I went into the Apple Store last week to buy a pair of Airpods and was shocked they accepted Apple Pay. It was quite a convoluted experience though. I’m hoping soon they’ll be able to correlate my in-store Apple Pay purchase with my Apple ID rather than making me enter in my Apple ID to their POS iPhone. There was lots of opportunity to improve the in-store check-out process.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I went into the Apple Store last week to buy a pair of Airpods and was shocked they accepted Apple Pay. It was quite a convoluted experience though. I’m hoping soon they’ll be able to correlate my in-store Apple Pay purchase with my Apple ID rather than making me enter in my Apple ID to their POS iPhone. There was lots of opportunity to improve the in-store check-out process.
Actually in Hong Kong most of the merchants which have wireless terminals that accept PayWave / PayPass etc. support Apple Pay even if they do not express say it. Only some smaller merchants with weird terminals may have problems.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
I don't understand why its not full Apple Pay though. When I go to buy something on iTunes/ap store why doesn't it pop up with the same Apple Pay sheet as any other purchase in apps/websites ? Why do I have to go to apple account and add individual cards from my Apple Pay wallet in to it?

Seems half assed. Should be able to just set it to use normal way of adding cards manually, or switch wholesale over to Apple Pay proper.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't understand why its not full Apple Pay though. When I go to buy something on iTunes/ap store why doesn't it pop up with the same Apple Pay sheet as any other purchase in apps/websites ?
Probably because iTunes billing can not only be used for one-off purchases, but also for recurring payments for subscriptions.

Ulysses164

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I'm not seeing this option available. Is it showing up for anyone yet?
I couldn’t see it either, but it was because I had different Apple IDs for iCloud and the iTunes Store. I’ve had an @mac.com Apple ID for the iTunes Store since forever so I signed out, put in my iCloud Apple ID and there was the option to link my payment cards to Apple wallet.

It seems as though you need to have the same Apple ID for iCloud and the iTunes Store.

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
I couldn’t see it either, but it was because I had different Apple IDs for iCloud and the iTunes Store. I’ve had an @mac.com Apple ID for the iTunes Store since forever so I signed out, put in my iCloud Apple ID and there was the option to link my payment cards to Apple wallet.

It seems as though you need to have the same Apple ID for iCloud and the iTunes Store.

That's what I discovered too. I can link my Apple Pay debit card to either my iTunes account or my App Store account, but not both. WHY???

Apple, nice try but you still have a few steps to figure out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.