Apple Pay US Only?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xero9, Sep 9, 2014.

1. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I don't get why this restriction. In Canada, we have thousands of stores that support contactless payment (dare I say more than the US). Not sure why it isn't launching here. I get the feeling it will be like iTunes Radio all over again.

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Apparently, converting currencies in digital transactions costs money. I'm guessing there is some sort of regulatory b.s. that Apple will have to sort out.

This wouldn't be an issue if we adopted one currency for the world. :)

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Exactly. Was gonna post this. I imagine Europe will be easy to support since they have the Euro for the most part. Canadians will get their Apple pay with time but Apple is a US customer so we come first :p I do think it sucks though.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Aren't most new features always starting USA only?

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I remember when Apple first released Siri, claiming that its mapping/navigation functionality would soon be available in all other countries...

It took about 1 year after the introduction of the iPhone 4 before Siri had full functionality in Canada. By that time, the gimmick was up and the iPhone was already outclassed by the competition.

I see this being much of the same, and I suspect the Apple Watch is going to be the flop of the century (but I own a mechanical, so I'm biased).

Goodbye Apple, Hello Android.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You do realize how difficult it is to implement a payment system??? They're not building legos buddy. A payment system is government controlled and regulated along with vendors and merchant cooperation.

----------

Be sure the door hits you in the back on the way out. But, if I'm a betting man I'm guessing you'll still be around. Big talk. No action.