Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
PowerPage posts a story about various handheld devices seen around Apple's campus:

The devices have been field tested by various staff members over the past few months. It is important to realize that these aren't simply re-badged Palms or Palms with silly clear enclosures - they are real Apple iron.

MacOS Rumors also has a story regarding upcoming Digital Lifestyle devices which is very vague:

New information is also becoming available through the grapevine about Apple's next Digital Lifestyle device. There are at least five different such projects underway at Apple right now, up to three of which could ship this summer, so there's plenty of uncertainty to go around...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Oh, no!

Another PDA thread! The same one mcrain brought up!

eyelikeart must be having nightmares right now! :eek:

Now I know that it is arn's duty to report this type of thing, but why can't these rumor sites simply end reports of some unconfirmed PDA make up? There is no proof whatsoever of Apple making a PDA-like device; as far as I can tell, it's mostly rumors, or some fake pictures.

I feel for you, man! :)

Fear the King.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
LOL :D Man, eye is going to be pissed!

Let's start an OS X on x86 discussion while we're at it... :D

Rafael Perini

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2002
Nowhere
Its the same thing over and over and over... few months before any Mac World and here comes rumors of PDA, G5, TV, webradio and so on... come on ppl!!!!!! Bring us real news!!! Don't sit in your computer and make up new configurations and stuff... do something better....

By the way, macrumors used to have their own information, nowadays is just a collection of rumors from other sites (even SpyMac!!!)

Later

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Apple PDA/Digital Devices?

There are at least five different such projects underway at Apple right now, up to three of which could ship this summer, so there's plenty of uncertainty to go around...

I love how they sound so confident throwing around numbers. Yeah, like that makes their rumors seem any more plausible...

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Whether it is a PDA, or some other device, I am confident that the iPod was not the only non computer device to be coming out of Cupertino this year. PDA? nOt likely considering the waning interest in them, but maybe an uber pda tablet device? Apple hopefully will surprise us with something truly new.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
Inkwell

I still maintain that Apple (Jobs) didn't reinstate "Inkwell" (the Newton handwriting engine - which is still better than anything since) for nothing. For graphics professionals who happen to be using Wacom tablets to avoid using the keyboard!?! C'mon - that's a ruse; it's groundwork for a future device.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
i think that sometime down the road apple will be making a new pda.. its just a matter of when...

i mean, in the past, rumors that have lasted THIS long usually end up coming true...

im not neccassarily saying that the spymac stuff was true.. in fact, no one has ever registered the trademark iWalk... and plus, if you think about it.. iWalk is a pretty weird name for such a device. all previous apple stuff has had names that arent too pertininent to the device... wahatver...

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: Inkwell

Originally posted by AudiA4
I still maintain that Apple (Jobs) didn't reinstate "Inkwell" (the Newton handwriting engine - which is still better than anything since) for nothing. For graphics professionals who happen to be using Wacom tablets to avoid using the keyboard!?! C'mon - that's a ruse; it's groundwork for a future device.

I suppose you think that the voice-recognition in OS X is a ruse, groundwork for a new mobile phone from apple?

Really, apple executives may bend the truth, play numbers games, whathaveyou, but a frank statement such as "there will be no apple PDA" is pretty clear.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Keep taking the tablets!

Inkwell surely indicates an OS X based tablet device on the horizon.

Apple has already said NO to PDAs, but YES to entertainment devices like iPod.

I suspect the new device will be some kind of tablet device that works on it's own, or with an iMac. You can use to watch DVDs on the move and surf the Web from your couch or bed.

It might also be handy for using to administrate a whole bunch of XServes, and could have a wide variety of commercial applications in specific vertical sectors like education, logistics, retail and medical.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by firewire2001
i mean, in the past, rumors that have lasted THIS long usually end up coming true...

Oh my god, this means Apple really is merging with Disney!!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Apple teaming up with Disney?

HFS! Wait...

I can see it now. :)

Attachments

• mickeyand applefinal.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,024

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
Agreement on Inkwell

I gotta agree, I can't see any possible reason to put handwriting recognition into an OS unless you're goign to be building a device that runs the OS that will be very dependant on it. I'm leaning towards a tablet myself... it technically *won't* be a PDA ;)
-----
Apple hardware still too expensive? How about a raffle ticket?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Inkwell already exists in Apple's stores!

Go to checkout, and what do you have? A card reader with an Aqua interface that you use a stylus to enter your signature in.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
Re: Re: Inkwell

Originally posted by britboy

I suppose you think that the voice-recognition in OS X is a ruse, groundwork for a new mobile phone from apple?

Really, apple executives may bend the truth, play numbers games, whathaveyou, but a frank statement such as "there will be no apple PDA" is pretty clear.

I didn't say that it would be a PDA; I said "...a future device." I would wager that it would be a keyboard-less notebook - i.e. a "tablet" device. Either a wireless extension of a desktop or a true portable device.

However, regarding your PDA position, I believe that Apple said the following:

"...gee, now that's quite a tough market to be in right now." - Jobs
"...well, we had heated internal debates about a PDA..." (iPad discussion).

Aside from the fact that these fall way short of "there will be no Apple PDA." as you stated, I wouldn't characterize Steve Jobs as the most forthcoming (honest?) person; particularly with respect to future products.

nickgold

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2001
"No Apple PDA"

Another thign to consider is that "PDA" is sort of coming to mean fancy electronic organizer. If Apple were to put out any sort of handheld computing device, it would almost certainly have multimedia and communicator abilities. And according to many, that would be out of PDA territory.

I'm not saying that this is any proof at all. But you have to pay attention to how Apple and Steve frame their replies. They will almost always leave themselves wiggle room (the same goes for most corporate communcations).

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
the iwalk!!!!!! LOL!!!

I cant believe that the bloody iWok is rearing its phoney head again!
There is no profit in a stand-alone PDA for Apple.
The possibilities that have shown themselves with the iPod are a good discussion point, however.

A device that needs an Apple computer is a smart move. The iPod needs a Mac; so if Steve has any sense, he may come up with a 'device' that behaves like a PDA in some way, but needs a Mac to make it go.
That all fits in with the digital hub.
And it works so far, doesnt it?

So the small production runs and the low price (kind of) of a PDA-type of device is mitigated because it always involves a Mac.
Therefore, new purchases of computers in a market which is somewhat stagnant at the moment.
This may turn out to be a brilliant move by Apple; so I am a believer in a new 'device', but it wont be a simple Apple palm thingy, and it will require the ownership of a Mac.

Which brings me back to the notion of the iPod on windoze - whats the point?

Of course, OSX on Intel is also pointless when set against the digital hub Mac concept.

WOW! I think I get it! Its all about owning a Mac!

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I'm with you on the device, elgruga, but don't knock OS X on Intel... but's that's for another thread. ;)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Re: Inkwell already exists in Apple's stores!

Originally posted by gopher
Go to checkout, and what do you have? A card reader with an Aqua interface that you use a stylus to enter your signature in.
Um, that's about 20 years old, sorry.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Re: the iwalk!!!!!! LOL!!!

Originally posted by elgruga
A device that needs an Apple computer is a smart move. The iPod needs a Mac; so if Steve has any sense, he may come up with a 'device' that behaves like a PDA in some way, but needs a Mac to make it go.
That all fits in with the digital hub.
And it works so far, doesnt it?

Apple has always innovated and integrated. Starting with OS 8 i'd say. Anyway, apple's entire future thinking strategy is predicting where the market it going. It's painfully obvious to me that the future lies in simplicity on computers, not complexity. Why do you think the iPod has 1 wire and works seamlessly on top of an already *flawless* system (iTunes). If apple was to continue their digital hub themeselves (which they will oc) they will do it by looking at what Apple users want for their mac that they have/want and invent it. Notice that Apple stopped using the Rio600 in the diagram for the digital hub? Well expect that to happen to the whole thing soon enough. As for this rumor, I do expect apple to make some sort of tablet, a semi-portable one (7"+ color LCD) that has a few unique functions. Apple knows that a $30 digital organizer with an Apple logo won't sell, so they'll find ways to make it kick butt. Palm leverages the factor of expandability and application expansion. Pocket PC more so, plus the video and conferencing features. Apple would need to expand on both, offering a VERY powerful device, that looks and feels confortable to a mac user, and would have new functions. I have little doubt it'll be a MacOS X only deal. Integrating with iTunes/your home folder's music folder to hold a few MP3s (unless it has a slim HD), movies from your movies folder, pictures from iPhoto/pictures, and your contacts list from Address Book. My though it that it would also integrate with your iTools account, allowing you to download/upload files. Thus allowing you to update web pages with HTML code, QT Movies, or even add info to a Xserve's Internet-Java app or database. I also beleive the device would have internet through high speed short range and low speed long range standard, even though you'd have to pay for the long range. I also expect the device would stream QT Movies from a QTSS/Quicktime Broadcaster server. A lot of this is obviously personal speculation, but it's nothing outrageous given the iPod and PocketPC's functions NOW, and Apple's habbits of internet gung-ho. One last thought is to really help bolster sales, it'd come with a portable version of the Xserve remote monitor app. Thus allowing you IT/sys admin folk to check updates on your server farm from afar, and as your in the server room (if it was THAT big). Take it or leave it, my 2c.

Matt_d

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2002
iGO or iPad

Originally posted by britboy

Of cause they will not have a PDA, it will be something like iGO or iPad. ;)

robodweeb

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
OS X tablet

For years I've watched laptop and PDA users when they've actually had a chance to use their systems (eg meetings, classes, presentations, etc.). In most cases, they always had a pad of paper with them to actually do stuff (and the laptops and PDAs to avoid getting bored). That's why I think a superior tablet device will be the next big thing in computers and will re-invigorate that market.

I would like to see a tablet that operates both as a standalone device and that integrates seamlessly with a Mac. Rather than an expensive touch-sensitive LCD display, I'd rather see a high resolution, non-touch-sensitive display that uses a Bluetooth pen (ala http://www.anoto.com, but without the requirement of Anoto paper ... I have faith in Apple's engineering talent) for input via Inkwell to the tablet or, when in range of my G4 digital hub, use the tablet as a portable display (Timbuktu via Airport?) with the pen as a mouse for input (perhaps even a virtual keyboard, through a molded plastic+circuitry overlay to the display that works via Bluetooth).

I'm not wedded to Bluetooth, but I think it's necesary for this tablet to be PC-compatible. The goal is not OS X on Intel. The goal is to provide a digital hub device that PC users can add on to their existing systems, that offers them enough functionality to be useful to them (but not as much as when connected to a Mac), AND which gives them a chance to see how much better OS X is so that, when they upgrade/buy a new computer, it will be a Mac. They've shown reluctance to completely switch, but htis offers them a chance to try it out first and - I'm sure - fall in love with it.

Besides, I'd much prefer to have an OS X tablet interface to the PeeCee I'm given at work and school. If the tablet helps me to move around between these environments, sharing files, connecting to whatever network is available, letting me do the things I need to do in my life ... then I would happily buy ones for my family.

Think Realistically, Steve! People don't show off their pretty CPU box more than a couple of times ... it's the day-to-day functionality that we need and Apple is th best bet to provide it ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.