Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Pencil 2

Cardiff25

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Just got an iPad Pro (2020 edition) really want a pencil (just because) but finding it hard to justify the updates in the new iPadOS seems pretty cool but is it enough.

I can see myself using colouring apps (if there are any)

wanna ask the people here with them that don’t have graphic design jobs would you recommend the purchase?

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I also have an Apple Pencil that I seem to rarely use, but the one thing I find convenient is hand writing notes, whether on a conference call or virtual class, it has completely eliminated pen and paper in my life.
Funny thing, last week I was looking for a pen so I could mark something on my wall, and couldn’t find one, all I had was my Apple Pencil........lol.

Comment

Cardiff25

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I think the new OS and Scribble opens up a lot more uses for it

Comment

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
I’ve had the Pencil since it launched with the Ipad Pro 9.7, then the 10.5pro, and now the 11pro with gen2. Its one of those things that over the years I don’t use super often, but when I need to (annotation, writing notes, or Pages doc markups), there is nothing that compares to it. If I was an artist I would have an even greater appreciation for it.

And just today I tried the Scribble feature on the new update, and it even recognized my cursive writing!

I do feel bad though that I don’t use it nearly enough for the expense. If I had to choose between my magic keyboard and pencil, I would choose the MK as I use it all the time, but a part of me would really miss the pencil and how amazing it is.

Comment

Mainsail

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2010
I think the new OS and Scribble opens up a lot more uses for it

I was really looking forward to Scribble also. I just downloaded iPadOS14, and played with Scribble for about an hour. I definitely need to get more experience with it, but my initial reaction is that it is kind of frustrating. I find myself editing the edits to my edits of my writing. In most cases, I would have been much better off just typing with the virtual keyboard. I know it is early, but after an hour of use, I started to feel a bit skeptical that it would be all that useful.

I would love to hear from others because it could just be my handwriting etc.. I am not going to give up yet...might just take more practice.

Comment

macdogpro

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2020
I was really looking forward to Scribble also. I just downloaded iPadOS14, and played with Scribble for about an hour. I definitely need to get more experience with it, but my initial reaction is that it is kind of frustrating. I find myself editing the edits to my edits of my writing. In most cases, I would have been much better off just typing with the virtual keyboard. I know it is early, but after an hour of use, I started to feel a bit skeptical that it would be all that useful.

I would love to hear from others because it could just be my handwriting etc.. I am not going to give up yet...might just take more practice.

Initially felt that too, but the more I use it the more I’m getting the hang of it.
I think I’m definitely going to use my Pencil more when not drawing now.

Also the advanced hand writing recognition on Notes apps is very interesting for me.
Yeah typing on magic keyboard is a lot faster, but now I have the option to hand write notes during meetings, hopefully that’ll be more polite looking rather than typing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.