Apple Pencil auto-reconnects in 9.3 after turning iPad Pro BT off/on!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WilliamG, Feb 17, 2016.

1. WilliamG, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

WilliamG macrumors G3

Prior to 9.3, you had to connect the Pencil to the iPad to re-establish the connection. Not anymore! Switching BT back on on the iPad Pro re-establishes the Pencil connection instantly.

2. Bcook128 macrumors newbie

Bcook128

Well, if this is the case then I guess I'll be back to a constantly discharging Apple pencil while it's not being used unless Apple updates some code to cause the pencil to sleep until it makes contact with the iPad screen...I suppose you could keep Bluetooth off to save the Pencil battery, but then you wouldn't be able to use Bluetooth for other things...if this is true, Apple...please come up with a way..a setting...ANYTHING AT ALL for my Apple Pencil so that it will hold a charge while its sitting on a table doing nothing. I've been watching mine lately...I charge it to 100% lay it down on a desk untouched for 2 hours and the battery has dropped to 65%!!! Just not acceptable.

3. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I have exactly the same problem! Probably piss poor apple QC again. I"m not surprised at all.

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

This changed again so it does not reconnect automatically as of a few betas ago. so that should make you happy.

Also, if your Pencil dropped to 65% in two hours, it was "in use."

5. mrklaw macrumors 68020

Doesn't the pencil have tech in it to go to sleep if it isn't moving, and wake up when you pick it up? Seems common enough to have that with mice

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

It does have exactly that. When you pick up the Pencil after 5 mins inactivity, you can see the BT icon flash on the iPad, indicating it reconnected when you moved the Pencil/picked it up.