Apple Pencil trick with pencil supported iPads.

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Tom G., Jul 19, 2017.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

What do you think of what I call the "Apple Pencil Trick" that you can do on an iPad that supports the use of the pencil?

The "trick" is this. If you tap on the Lock Screen with the apple pencil the Apple Notes app will open and be set to take a note with the pencil. You can, however, change to the keyboard and use it. In doing this you have NOT OPENED the iPad. You are still on the Lock Screen only.

If you go to Settings > Notes > Show Note on Lock Screen, then you can set whether this feature is Off, or it will Always Create a New Note each time you open Notes this way, or it will Resume Last Viewed Note when opened.

To me the fact that you are working on the Locked Screen when doing this is a major security plus. It means that you could carry the iPad with you and without opening it make or add to a note quickly. To someone working in a facility where you have to record data while making rounds in a plant this would be quite a benefit.

2. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

It's a cool feature, mentioned specifically by Apple on the iOS 11 preview page. I guess they don't explicitly say you're able to use all the features of Notes (like the keyboard) normally though.

https://www.apple.com/lae/ios/ios-11-preview/